• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No coolant draining from engine drain cock

nicoz

I have a 1981 450C and just doing some maintenance. I went to drain the coolant and opened both the radiator and engine drain cocks. Coolant drained from the radiator and nothing came from the engine drain cock. Is this normal or is nothing getting through?

Delmer

Nothing is getting through. Even if you let the radiator drain for an hour, there should still be several ounces at least in any engine I've seen. Take the fitting out and hose out the gunk that's blocked it up, fill the system with rain water, run it several hours, drain hot into a white bucket, repeat until there's no more sediment in the bucket when you're done.

nicoz

Thanks for the quick reply. The total fluid level is 16L.i got about 8L out of the radiator drain cock and zero out of the engine drain cock. I am used to doing maintenance on my truck where you just drain from the radiator. Having two drain cocks is new to me (along with this machine).

Edit: removed the drain cock completely and indeed there was a bunch of crud blocking it. All good now. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Delmer

Are you flushing it? that wasn't the only crud in the engine. Not critical, but that's what I'd do if I'm draining the antifreeze.

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
We call them dirt daubers around here but they are little black looking wasps that won't sting but build dirt nests and eat worms and spiders. They love to get into little places like that and we've had them in the draincock before. Just unscrew it from block clean it and it should flow normally