• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NJ explosion 12/13/05

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
This incident was on the news.

One of the stories found online says in part, "Law enforcement and utility company officials said preliminary investigations showed that a pit dug by construction workers who were trying to remove an underground oil tank collapsed and pinched a gas line just before 9 a.m. Utility crews were sent to the scene after residents nearby reported the odor of gas; 30 minutes later, the explosion shook the area."

Anybody know any more details? I'm always skeptical about the media's ability to get the details straight.

What do they mean by "pinched" a gas line?

BRL

BRL

Some updates:

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1134713945120340.xml?starledger?nnj&coll=1

I found it interesting to read that the NTSB does the investigation, I guess they have a broader responsibility than just transportation accidents. I hadn't known that.

I also read in another paper that the woman who landed in the apartment a floor below her's is suing. She received 80 stitches & was in the hospital for 2 days. She is suing the contractor for negligence and is suing the Utility for not properly marking out the lines. I can't find that story on line to link to unfortunately.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I found it interesting to read that the NTSB does the investigation, I guess they have a broader responsibility than just transportation accidents. I hadn't known that.

I don't have time to check right now, but my impression is that the pipe might be considered a form of "transportation", which would put it under their jurisdiction. I could be mistaken...