• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NH 655e Fuel Issue Maybe Something Else?

x-ray

Ok so its beyond cold here, last couple of days, so cold dogs are sticking to hydrants. So we get more snow then expected and I head out to move it with the backhoe loader. I recently changed out the thicker oil for a good winter grade. So the fuel, I have an outdoor tank, but never got any fuel till late October, and yes I even put well beyond the amount of anti-gel in. I thought the fuel looked a little too cloudy, but got it started need a small shot of ether though. Power did seem down but got going along and at the bottom of the driveway it just quits. Here's the issue it would not even turn the starter over. Later that night I did get it to turn over, but not come up beyond 1400 rpm. So I know its a fuel issue, will swap some out for like 20% kero, but I'm thinking the fuel caused the solenoid to stick causing it not to even turn over. What do you guys think would have caused it not to even turn over?

Delmer

A dead battery from the cold and all the cranking you did to get it started is the only thing I can think of that would keep the starter from turning. Maybe combined with poor connections, hydraulic drag, etc? How would the fuel have any thing to do with the starter solenoid???

Just to be clear, "turning over" means the starter is turning the engine, right? And how cold is cold there?

x-ray

Batteries were good, I put them in before I started from the heated garage. Block heater was on for about 1hr. Actually not too much cranking to get it started maybe 30 sec total @ 10 sec each. It was ~-10deg below at the time. I let it thermo 2 x15sec before I even cranked the first time. By the 3rd attempt is when I went to ether shot. I'm thinking the paraffin caused a blockage or possible ice in line? Yes the engine just stalled out and everything lights, thermo, etc were on, just no cranking. Hydros were sluggish at first but I let it warm up for a good while, the bucket was stuck in ice anyway and had to free it. I went to bring down a meter, later that night but it started right up. That's when it could not make more than 1400 rpm, so I could not get the unit back up the hill. So of course it was -32 deg below today and didn't even attempt as I knew it would be too much, I did replace 5 tank gal of diesel for 4 gal kero to help the cloud point..

Delmer

Well, if it started up later that night without jumping it, then I was wrong on the batteries. I still say it's a completely unrelated fluke, like you didn't have it completely in neutral or something like that.

I guess it comes down to what kind of fuel you got, just because you got it in the fall doesn't mean it's winterized diesel. I'd put a bottle of antigel in there also, and when you get a "warm" day, let it run until it it revs fine, it might take hours. Block the radiator with cardboard if you can.

x-ray

Success got it going today just near freezing today, even though it was -23 below last night. It still would not run consistently till about the half hour point. The not cranking must have been the neutral start switch. Thanks Delmer. Here is what I was seeing with the fuel (again I over anti-jelled and most of the fuel was purchased in late Dec/Jan, I'm thinking the plants didn't change over when they normally do, however the 20% kero seemed to be the best remedy..)
BeforeStartJelled-1.jpgPartiallyUnJelled-30min-10minrun.jpgMostlyUnJelled-45min-25minrun.jpgUnJelled.jpg

Delmer

Thanks for the pics. Sure looks like wax to me. From what I've read, wax forms at much lower than freezing temps, but it might take well above freezing and time to dissolve the wax back into the cold fuel. Emergency 911 treatments have a hard time fixing the problem, but antigel (really anti wax) will prevent the wax.