• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

News story-thieves

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Two sets of thugs at work there: The thugs who stole the equipment, and even worse, the thugs who gutted their county government to further their own crooked political agendas. One huge Greek haircut, coming right up.

JDOFMEMI

With the economy as bad as it has been, theft is up everywhere. A couple of months ago, my jobsite was hit by battery theives. They stole the batteries out of everything but the loader. Why not the loader? Well, so they could use it to cart them up the 100' high slope and down a street to their waiting van. Then, for some reason, they returned the loader before driving off.

I guess I was lucky that way. They could have trashed it, or rolled it off the slope, or something worse. A neighboring business owner was seen a few days later replacing batteries in his delivery truck. He had it worse, as the theives used a pickaxe to knock a hole in the aluminum fuel tanks on his highway truck and stick a siphon hose in to steal his fuel.
The local food bank just had 19 new truck tires stolen. They pulled the outside dual off of nearly every truck in the yard.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
There's been an ad in a local paper now for a few weeks offering a reward for info regarding the loss of 120 boomsticks off the west coast.
Somebody was able to snag them while they were unwatched.

Thieves will steal anything.

Take care.

tassieredneck

New member here all the way from Tasmania, AUS. The theft of fuel off job sites over the last 5 years is becoming ridiculous. Time after time weve turned up to work only to find our loader or forwarder drained even with parking them away from the road. We have had trail cameras set up but they even manage to find those and knock them off. Some weekends in some areas if theres a couple of contractors around its not uncommon for 1000-2000 litres to be stolen. Generally nothing else just fuel but occasionally there will be a radio or tool theft

cat3208

:mad::BangheadI'm no vigilant, but thieves should be punished with a public lashing or whipping! This costs all the way around the chain!!! The outfit owner has to pay upfront until the insurance pays or not! Then the rates can go up! Put serial numbers on everything and document everything with pictures! Put in hidden game cameras! Just my opinion from experiences!! Thanks for listening...:eek:

Redwood Climber

Fuel Theft

New member here all the way from Tasmania, AUS. The theft of fuel off job sites over the last 5 years is becoming ridiculous. Time after time weve turned up to work only to find our loader or forwarder drained even with parking them away from the road. We have had trail cameras set up but they even manage to find those and knock them off. Some weekends in some areas if theres a couple of contractors around its not uncommon for 1000-2000 litres to be stolen. Generally nothing else just fuel but occasionally there will be a radio or tool theft

Think about it, fuel has no serial number, once it is in a thief's fuel tank and he is away from the crime scene, it's his. That fuel tank can be any size from a 5 gallon bucket to a 50 gallon fuel tank on a 4 wheeler to a 100 gallon fuel cell in a pickup. He doesn't have to hide it, repaint it, fence it, or repair it. He can use it immediately. It is a very expensive commodity, something everyone uses.

Theft around northern California is epidemic. One timber company lost six chain saws in a week. They know who did it and are trying to bring charges, but the local district attorney sympathizes with thieves and pot growers, he's not too interested in "petty crimes", re-election comes from high profile cases.

Thieves got a chainsaw and a big backpack blower out of one of my trucks. It was parked right in front of one of my crews house. They cut the lock, and off they went! $1300 replacement cost....it took 5 phone calls to the sherrif.....5 days later they called me....gave me a case # end of story.

Pretty simple, chop off their hands.....then shoot them.

Last edited:

cat3208

:iagree:iagree:exactly I was trying to be conservative... I believe in some countries they do that! I also think that they should bring back the death penalty! Put the felons in line for the chair. Clear out the jails... I can feel what your are saying... The system needs help! :Banghead:Banghead

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
On concrete jobs where we have to set up tools & light tower the evening before so we can start in the wee hours (like mud on ground at 0400), we hire a security guard.
Can't figure out any other way to do it...

The Model T coil is something my Dad mentioned, but he didn't complete the explanation. Anybody know about this contrivance?

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
On concrete jobs where we have to set up tools & light tower the evening before so we can start in the wee hours (like mud on ground at 0400), we hire a security guard.
Can't figure out any other way to do it...

The Model T coil is something my Dad mentioned, but he didn't complete the explanation. Anybody know about this contrivance?

It's an spark coil with built-in points hook to 12v battery connect to a ungrounded item thief pick up completes circuit and gets electrical hit close to tazer. You can use a 12v lantern battery. But problem is finding model T coil