• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

newbie looking at 310c

JamieH

looking for some guidance/help...in the process of purchasing some property that will need to be cleared for a home site and the cost is about what I can find a hoe for. I found several around the 15k price range and for this range I understand it isn't gonna be the charm of the block. I just cant see paying someone 15k to clear the land when I can buy a piece of equipment and do the work myself and it stay in my driveway and not someone elses. anyhow I came across an 1988 jd 310c with around 4200hrs. it seemed honest, wasn't newly painted had some leaks, some hoses have been replaced and the ones that havnt been need to be...lol...didn't see any frame repairs and the front bucket seemed to be square when on the ground. the tires are about 35%, pins and bushings are worn at best but not into the main housing. they are asking 17k which I feel is way to high but said they would take 14k. anybody have any thought or comments, words of wisdom. my intention is mainly to use this for the property and not to use it for daily work, just around the house kind of stuff. I have been an auto mechanic for the last 20+ yrs so I am capable of working on and doing repairs just never owned a piece of equipment of this size so a few things are intimidating and thought I would ask for some input...thank you for all for any input

hosspuller

My 310C was about the same 14K price. Had it about 14 years now. Just working the home place. Used it to transplant some bushes. Would have been hard work with a shovel. Having the machine around, you'll think of lots of jobs for it to do. You will need some bigger tools than auto wrenching. (3/4 drive) But, it's relatively easy to work on. No turbo, no fancy electronics, parts easy to get at Deere or aftermarket. Deere manuals are very good, though costly. Just think ahead because the parts are heavy.

Delmer

Sounds like you could do better, but it's hard to tell from a few sentences. I've looked at a few recently that seemed like better deals, a MF 60something that was about that same age, cleaner sounding, but needed some more minor work for $6k. The condition and "honesty" is critical to the value. The pins and bushings are important, you won't replace them and come out with a machine that's worth what you put into it, you could buy a nicer one cheaper.

JamieH

Delmer... I have noticed some cheaper machines but all need work according to the posted add. I did notice a 426 cat but it was 2wd not 4 (I live in FL and the sand will swallow you whole with a 2wd unit...so I been told) and it has no brakes and said the reliver valve needed O-rings...not sure what they meant by reliver valve but anyways... my situation leaves me with what I buy needs to be at least dependable long enough to clear the property and get the drive in along with what other chores are required for preparing a home site. although on the jd there is 2 sets of bushings that I would want to replace...it is still operational at least till the next hose goes. Along with a complete flush and service on the fluids I'm sure there is going to be a lot of neglected maintenance on any hoe I get but for me that is bargaining leverage. I'm just looking for a solid platform that has a good running history of dependability. I did see a 2001 case super L with 4200hrs on it and it was a 4wd. they was asking 12k for it but the paint was new and...just the limited number of pics and no direct phone number just an email through craigslist for contact info...so I doubt that one is viable and is another one of the scammer adds...thank you Hoss and Delmer for your comments

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I was in your position couple months ago. Bought a Ford 555A that's been heavily used. Lot of wear. Gave $6500. Have worked on it in my backyard shop since purchase and now have $8200 in it. Have put 10 hours on it and seems reliable. The critical things appear to be strong.

I accept that it might have catastrophic failure tomorrow. But then so might a $20K machine. Your mechanical skills give you an advantage.

No one on a forum can predict the future. Look the machine over and use your technical experience to make the decision

Of course we want pics when you buy one!!!