• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Newbie for a backhoe

Brews4me

Hi folks-

Need some advise on backhoes.
Heading into retirement and plan on doing some ranching and farming on some mountain property, about 1000 acres.
Need a general use machine that will plow snow at 8000 feet, do some roadwork, move rock and dirt, dig trench for water line, dig out foundation for maybe new home, dig posts.
I know, quite a laundry list but work never ends.

Have access to a family Deere old 350 that will do some dozing if needed.

I'm kinda headed toward the Case 590 SM 4X4??

Is this the right route??

Closest little town is 60 miles away for maintenance and such.
The soil is a lot of clay and slicker than snot when wet.

Considered JCB but not too many of them or parts in Colorado.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

My background is a computer nerd but always been ranching and farming since I was a youngster!

Brews4me

OK, one more observation.

Will the fenders on the 590 allow room for chains??
Looks pretty tights.

JDfan500C

What is the closes dealer to you? I'd start with that when picking a machine. Case 590 is a good machine. I don't think there is much of a difference between a 2 or 3 nothing that noticeable anyway. Try looking at deere and cat they make great backhoes to.

x-ray

I would look in that order you got Case, Deere, Cat if it were me. Not familiar with all the models, but I think most Case and Deere have room for chains, for snow plowing especially on a hill it makes it another machine. So your going to want 4x4 and a cab, also you want a turbo'd model too as at 8k feet your gonna be down on some power.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Something to consider. Pushing snow with a loader tractor can be very time consuming. Especially if it's deep snow. When I retired from the Army I had a plow on a pickup. First winter I learned about stacking snow. You have to have a plan on where you are going to put it especially if you may get more snow. That year after late Jan we had record snows here. I had to borrow a 4 wheel loader to move snow back and restack it because of lack of experience lead to poor planning. A couple of year later I was doing it with a loader. Time to actually clear the drive when from 1/2 hour to a couple of hours. Then I got a 100 plus PTO HP farm tractor with a 8' blower. Have never had a problem with where to put snow sense. Not as fast as a truck and a plow but faster than a loader. My backhoe gets parked for the winter now. I'm in west MN about 90 miles south east of Fargo ND so we can get some pretty good snow here.

Dealer support is going to be the most important thing in selecting a backhoe. If I were looking to replace mine (and I am) I would see if A: on line parts availability and parts lookup. JCB doesn't have that. B: closest dealer and support from them. A dealer may be there but have poor support for anything not new or near new. We have that with the closest AGCO dealers here. C: other places that can support your equipment like having the correct ends to make hydraulic hoses for it, oils filters and other consumables.

Rick

Brews4me

Can someone please tell me what model Deere is comparable to the Case 590 Super M???
Around 2005???

CatToy

Any advice on this tractor?
Seems to be a pretty good deal??
So far I haven't found where it's located to see if I can get it home reasonable.

http://rockies.craigslist.org/hvo/5245283469.html

That seems awful cheap for a backhoe with only a few thousand hours, 4in1 bucket and extend-a-hoe, if near me I would go look at it and I do not need one nor want one. Most around me are at least in the $30k range with a lot more hours.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

That reeks of scam. Anytime I do a craigslist deal I ask to see the item in person to make sure its legit.

Brews4me

I would see it first, never buy sight unseen.

Always seems odd to me if a scam that they'd pick one of the most non-standard type items to yank folks around.

They responded to my email saying it was a trade in and in good shape.
They also say they can handle shipping.

But I still have no idea where it's located??

Last edited:

KenMac

Occupation
Commercial HVAC tech
I would see it first, never buy sight unseen.

Always seems odd to me if a scam that they'd pick one of the most non-standard type items to yank folks around.

They responded to my email saying it was a trade in and in good shape.
They also say they can handle shipping.

But I still have no idea where it's located??

If they only communicate via email and won't give you a phone number, they probably will want you to pay with certified check and they'll hold it for 7 days after you receive tractor. Oh yeah, the last guy paid shipping, but his loan fell through, so shipping to you is free. Yeah, right!!

Brews4me

Funny, I asked for pictures and they sent me 24 from that ebay website , all with the bibadoos cut off the bottom.
And the exact verbage of description.

I HATE CROOKS AND LOWLIFES!

People that steal from honest people suck!

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
The difference between the Series 1-3 on the 590SM's is a bit of barely noticeable electronic and hydraulic changes, however the Series 3 uses the now N-Series rear axle design. Might be some very small power changes as well but I'm not sure. Any series of M will be a good machine.

I would definitely vote for a 590SM any day, I'm planning on either a 590SL or 590SM when the time comes. If you don't need extra digging depth, also look into the 580SM Plus. They are the M version of the current 580SN WT (basically 590 drivetrain, axles, and tires on a 580).

Brews4me

Boy, I've been looking and talking to folks, just doesn't look like the 590 will handle chains without ripping off the fender flares?

Looked at a 2001 310 SG Deere with 2700 hours, enclosed cab, that was sweet with pretty much all but air!
Pretty low hours for 14 years old.
Gotta determine $ for the auction, big range there.

7.jpg

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
A 580M might have a bit more fender clearance since the tires arent as wide.