• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Newb question

mtang45

New to the forum and about to ask a very basic question. I own some property that is old strip mining land and it has the typical 20-25ft high mounds of dirt in ridges. Sides are about 45 degrees and the tops are very narrow. These mounds have been in place for over 60 years, so they are compacted/settled and covered with brush and trees. I want to use a dozer to knock the ridges down flat.

What is the best approach to tackle these with a dozer? Sorry for the newb question but safe constructive solutions are very appreciated :)

Thanks!

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Very hard to be constructive without seeing the site.

Lots of questions.

Why do you want do disturb consolidated country?

Does it have to be graded flat/level?

What size tractor? . . . you'll need a fairly big one if you are doing much area.

In general on a job like that you start at the highest point and work it down. . . don't worry about the scrub and trees if its just for "looks"and grazing they'll just end up covered in the mix.

Cheers.

Last edited:

mtang45

Yair . . . Very hard to be constructive without seeing the site.

Lots of questions.

Why do you want do disturb consolidated country?

Does it have to be graded flat/level?

What size tractor? . . . you'll need a fairly big one if you are doing much area.

In general on a job like that you start at the highest point and work it down. . . don't worry about the scrub and trees if its just for "looks"and grazing they'll just end up covered in the mix.

Cheers.

It doesn't need to be flat, a slope would be fine; its just that I want to build a house and doing so in the "mounds" wouldn't be desirable. so how big a dozer do I need? I'm still shopping so open to suggestions. Also open to sales pitches on equipment in the midwest. :)

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . mtang45

It doesn't need to be flat, a slope would be fine; its just that I want to build a house and doing so in the "mounds" wouldn't be desirable. so how big a dozer do I need? I'm still shopping so open to suggestions. Also open to sales pitches on equipment in the midwest.

That puts a different complexion it! A house site and yard with road, shed pads and what all? . . . very doable with 150hp, even smaller if time is not a factor.

How about some pictures. I just love to see different parts of the US.

Cheers.

mtang45

where at in MO? Are you sure its just all dirt? No rock?

Yeah there is mixed large rock in the dirt. I have owned the property for 20 years and when I first got it, hired a local for some road work and dam repair. I watched the process and yes, there were some pretty fair sized rocks buried in the mounds.

vapor300

yeah thats kinda what i figured. Honestly i think you could do this job fairly easily with a 953, and pretty cheap Fabick has a few you could rent, and they rent them pretty cheap.