• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Workmaster 70 electrical gurus needed

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
Afternoon folks,
My 2022 Workmaster 70 loader tractor pulls my Bandit 200+ wood chipper very easily. But when I go out into the woods to chip brush, going down some big hills on my property the chipper pushes the tractor around a bit. (Rear tires are weighted too.) E112BC07-8A9B-4F72-BAA4-A6C03451DB94.jpeg So I have on the back of the tractor a trailer plug (big rig style not RV). What I want to do is make a jumper to go from the tractor to the chipper (easy part) BUT install a manual trailer brake controller I can control with a switch because of the tractor braking system I cannot (control the chipper brakes) by installing a proper pickup truck unit nor would it survive the elements. I’m picturing a resistor or heat sink in the jumper harness to drop voltage from tractor from 14.2 to say 8vdc. Enough to engage brakes but not lock them up. Brake on chipper are excellent (almost new) to pass DOT inspection each year for road plates. I will be open to suggestions and will add a few photos to give you an idea of what I am working with. thanks Joe04D99A54-3383-4D6D-8115-CC40E174BB61.jpeg 4981AB8C-F005-4DAA-AD7F-11A1D7E91BE0.jpeg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
This
iu

to this
iu

Why not just put on a cheap brake controller and manually apply the brakes with the lever. This will also provide you with a sensitivity adjustment.

BTW, this is only good if they followed the guide when initially wiring the connectors:D

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
This
iu

Why not just put on a cheap brake controller and manually apply the brakes with the lever. This will also provide you with a sensitivity adjustment.

BTW, this is only good if they followed the guide when initially wiring the connectors:D

thanks for the energy but I know the wiring configure but don’t know how to figure a resistor to lover voltage.
Most brake controller don’t work after getting wet. This tractor sits outside in the weather 24/7.
I was thinking of taping into the brake light power and dropping down and back to the electric brake terminal. Again just don’t understand how to drop the voltage properly.

mekanik

Electric brake controllers use a pulsed current to apply the brakes. They increase the duty cycle of the pulse for a harder application. Brake magnets draw about 3.5 amps at 13 volts so you would need a resistor in the 100 watt range for a full brake application with 2 brakes. It might take some trial and error to determine the resistance You probably only need 25% to 50% application. If you were to hook the brakes up in series instead of parallel that would reduce the braking to 50% with them connected to the full voltage of the tractor's electrical system.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
Electric brake controllers use a pulsed current to apply the brakes. They increase the duty cycle of the pulse for a harder application. Brake magnets draw about 3.5 amps at 13 volts so you would need a resistor in the 100 watt range for a full brake application with 2 brakes. It might take some trial and error to determine the resistance You probably only need 25% to 50% application. If you were to hook the brakes up in series instead of parallel that would reduce the braking to 50% with them connected to the full voltage of the tractor's electrical system.
Mekanik- thank you. I cannot apply in series as this does see road use and it would mess up my truck electronic braking and possibly show as a short.
But the 100w says run the power thru a headlight bulb or something similar like a small car heater. Lucky for my the battery is 12vdc. The other option is a 2bulb flasher or reo-stat. My initial thought was a toggle switch and just flip it on and off as the magnets do not immediately grab right away. I will figure it out as my main issue is getting the lights to work so if I drive down my road to a neighbor, cars behind me can see the rear lights. Currently I use a slow moving triangle on a magnet but most people do not even give that a second thought. I get the horn, sometimes a middle finger. Thank you for the info.

1466IH

Why not just put the brake controller on and old speaker magnet and just plug it inline between tractor and chipper. Then you could also put a female rv plug on it so your chipper would plug right in. Tractors have a brake light switch just like a pick up truck. Sounds like you are going to be making a pigtail regardless in order for lights to work. Pull your power to controller from plug on tractor and when not in use unplug and put in toolbox.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
Why not just put the brake controller on and old speaker magnet and just plug it inline between tractor and chipper. Then you could also put a female rv plug on it so your chipper would plug right in. Tractors have a brake light switch just like a pick up truck. Sounds like you are going to be making a pigtail regardless in order for lights to work. Pull your power to controller from plug on tractor and when not in use unplug and put in toolbox.
Not a bad idea- thanks. Even wrap in it plastic on this rainy days IF I decided to work when it rains.

Delmer

Blower resistor is the obvious easily available adjustable rheostat that you're looking for. I'm guessing the range is close, but not that hard to measure, or borrow one to test.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
If you are looking for quick and dirty pulsed current for the brakes, a turn signal flasher may work.
Also a good idea. A flasher with a relay would work if it is a two lamp flasher to get the pulse required. Sadly I’ve only had this issue going down a hill (rather steep rock terraced) where electric brakes on the chipper would benefit. I felt the push as the chipper wheels went down the step like granite faces. Here in New England we are loaded with Rocks and roots. The tractor handles the chipper way better than my 35hp diesel tractor but if the rocks were wet with no brakes that new 70hp New Holland and I were going for a ride. Lol! It’s only a 10% grade. So far every place else has been really good. Thank you for the help!