• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New vs. Used

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I've been re-evaluating the trucking business out here. With a lack of good topsoil from our local pit, local excavation guys are charging $19 a ton for good topsoil. I'm thinking about selling off all the equipment and hauling topsoil for a living.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Good topsoil here goes for 30-40 dollars per yard depending on quality. Just screened soil sells for 20 dollars a yard thats just swamp muck thats been screened and let dry.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
I've been re-evaluating the trucking business out here. With a lack of good topsoil from our local pit, local excavation guys are charging $19 a ton for good topsoil. I'm thinking about selling off all the equipment and hauling topsoil for a living.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
Ooops, weird double post?

I imagine how topsoil prices in BC would be horrendous with all that rock, it's a wonder you find any dirt at all.

Last edited:

7star

Maintenance

As usual you guys have been extremely helpful and informative. I thank you all for that. And as usual I have more questions. What kind of maintenance intervals should I be looking at? Like for oil, hydraulic fluid, filter, and gasket changes? Also, I looked at a site from Bob the Oil Guy regarding oil analysis results. But he didn't show all the tests. Can anyone suggest other sites that show the tests and standard values? 7star

CascadeScaper

Occupation
The dealers can analyze the fluids for you. As for intervals, engine oil change intervals on new machines is 500 hours, hydraulic fluid is 1,000 hours I believe, if not 2,000 I can't quite remember.

Wulf

7star said:
As usual you guys have been extremely helpful and informative. I thank you all for that. And as usual I have more questions. What kind of maintenance intervals should I be looking at? Like for oil, hydraulic fluid, filter, and gasket changes? Also, I looked at a site from Bob the Oil Guy regarding oil analysis results. But he didn't show all the tests. Can anyone suggest other sites that show the tests and standard values? 7star

Generally each machine and OEM will have different schedules and recommendations
On the PC160LC-7 you were considering:
Engine oil/filter and fuel filter interval 500 hrs.
Hyd oil filter 1000 hrs
Hydraulic oil 5000 hrs (unless using a breaker)
Swing box 1000 hrs
Final Drives 2000 hrs

Regarding oil sampling criteria, normally only the OEM has accurate knowledge of base standards but any lab will analyse and use generic evaluation criteria

7star

Thanks

Thanks for everybody's help and information. It was very helpful. I have decided to get a used Komatsu PC228. They will allow me to rent it for a month or two and part of that will go to purchase price. So that will give me the chance to eval the machine and get some good oil samples. They also offer replacement (during rental) and rental machines if I get in a bind so all the bases are covered. Thanks again. 7star

Wulf

7star said:
Thanks for everybody's help and information. It was very helpful. I have decided to get a used Komatsu PC228. They will allow me to rent it for a month or two and part of that will go to purchase price. So that will give me the chance to eval the machine and get some good oil samples. They also offer replacement (during rental) and rental machines if I get in a bind so all the bases are covered. Thanks again. 7star

Nice choice on a bulletproof machine 7star.
Zero tail swings can do anything a conventional excavator can do and they are a very attractive proposition for contractors in confined areas from a safety point of view.

jazak

www.catused.com is another good website. The only reason why I don't like used is because especaily with rentals is they are beat to crap and my not have been maintained properly. I don't buy anything with over 400hr.s.