• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Trailer

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I looking to buy a 55 ton detachable NGB trailer. I've looked at several and trying to narrow down my search. Looking for opnions and options, not wanting a pony motor, going to have wet kit. I have been the most impress with the Globe www.globetrailers.com/Trailers/LowBoy/gtlowboy.htm, I also like the Trailking trailers as well www.trailking.com, my third choice is www.fontainetrailer.com.

Some of the options I'm looking at is air 3rd axle, cut down front of trailer for no ramps for loading, covered rear axle, 3 ft rear beavertail to load over the rear. Right and Left side portion valves.

All options are welcome, let me know. Thanks Bill

Chaz Murray

I looking to buy a 55 ton detachable NGB trailer. I've looked at several and trying to narrow down my search. Looking for opnions and options, not wanting a pony motor, going to have wet kit. I have been the most impress with the Globe www.globetrailers.com/Trailers/LowBoy/gtlowboy.htm, I also like the Trailking trailers as well www.trailking.com, my third choice is www.fontainetrailer.com.

Some of the options I'm looking at is air 3rd axle, cut down front of trailer for no ramps for loading, covered rear axle, 3 ft rear beavertail to load over the rear. Right and Left side portion valves.

All options are welcome, let me know. Thanks Bill

Have you ever considered a Mechanical goosneck instead of the Hydro? We dont build a Hydro style neck yet but we do have a 3 axle trailer that you can load over the back with no ramps...if you look on our web site at http://www.murraytrailer.com take a look at the "Easy Load"..its only a 2 axle trailer but we mfg. a 3 axle with the same tail on it. we also build one with a flat rear end but still able to load over the back...just ends up being a little steeper goin up..

Attachments

• interstate.JPG
    interstate.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
We once owned a Trail King TK110 with just about everything you are looking for.

It was not self contained since we had a wet kit on the truck, had a rear beaver tail with flip over ramps, air lift third axle. But our beaver tail was not 3', I believe it was more like 30". I really liked this trailer, it was easy to disconnect and connect, towed great and never had any problems with it. And great resale value.

The reason we sold it was we downsized a little and went with smaller excavators we could haul behind a dump truck on a tri-axle.

I don't think you are going to find a hydraulic detachable gooseneck lowboy with a cut down front to get rid of those little ramps. These trailers need that square section in the front for strength.

That Globe trailer actually looks good, but I see that they only have two dealers. And I would be worried about resale value since they don't seem to be that well known compared to Trail King or Fontaine. But I do see at TruckPaper.com that they are about $10,000 cheaper than a Trail King.

Last edited:

bill5362

Occupation
Nice trailer

Chaz, you build a very nice looking trailer. I haven't been around a mechancal detach, how do the lift the load after they have seperated from the well? How can you adjust the ride height it you have to cross over a high railroad track crossing, or go into a construction entrance that is uneven, with a hydraulic detach you can raise the neck? I just don't how they work, so some infor would help me understand. Thanks Bill

bill5362

Occupation
Thanks for your info

Kgmz, thanks for your info, I still haven't made up my mind, I think the three are all good trailers, I do like the trail king, no so much the price, but I believe they built a great trailer. As for globe not having too many dealer that didn't worry me too much due to we don't have very much service done at a dealer, and I figured that I could get most of my wear parts at our local Truck Pro shop. I do agree with the resale aspect, just not sure what I will do, but others input that have been there helps. Thanks Bill

Chaz Murray

Chaz, you build a very nice looking trailer. I haven't been around a mechancal detach, how do the lift the load after they have seperated from the well? How can you adjust the ride height it you have to cross over a high railroad track crossing, or go into a construction entrance that is uneven, with a hydraulic detach you can raise the neck? I just don't how they work, so some infor would help me understand. Thanks Bill

I have a short picture "video" on my computer at work.....its a little rough but it would be a basic idea of how it works...pm me your e-mail and ill send that to you tomorrow or monday.

but to answer your questions.

To lift the load after you have loaded the trailer....the truck has to be modified with ramps on the back goin up to the 5th wheel...and there are rollers on the front of the gooseneck for the trailer to roll up. In our own fleet we vary rarely break down for anything...almost everything is loaded over the back of the trailer. Pavers are about the only thing we have to break down for. the down side is the neck is not adjustable for deck height. as of right now there are over 1600 of our trailers out there in service and they seem to manage without having the need to adjust the deck. The biggest thing you are going to gain with the mechanical GN is the reduced weight of the trailer. On average a Hydro neck trailer is somewhere in the 20,000lb area and ours is around 15,000 so you get an extra 5,000 payload :D As for resale value of our trailers...take a look through the ritchie brothers auction site... in the last couple years many of the used trailers sold at auction have sold for 10-15% more than what they paid new ..and one just recently as high as 45% more on a 10 year old trailer :eek:

Jammar7

A couple questions for you: Beavertail on a 55 ton trailer? You're kidding, right? It might sound good, bet you don't use it twice. And did I read correctly? You wrote left and right portioning valves? Are you wanting to seperate you leveling valves like flats do? Major no, no in heavy haul! Or did I misunderstand?

Chaz Murray

A couple questions for you: Beavertail on a 55 ton trailer? You're kidding, right? It might sound good, bet you don't use it twice. And did I read correctly? You wrote left and right portioning valves? Are you wanting to seperate you leveling valves like flats do? Major no, no in heavy haul! Or did I misunderstand?

There is no problem at all with loading over the back of the beaver tail on this trailer...It is what it was designed to do. As for the portioning valves...I went back and reread the above posts and see no mention of them so not sure what you are talking about but we only use one leveling valve for the suspension.