• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Trailer Suspension Alignment Question

Trevor1335

I picked up a brand new Iron bull 10K 20ft equipment trailer a couple weeks ago. I wasn't satisfied with the lack of paint of the U-bolts and leaf spring shackles so I took it all apart painted the necessary parts. I am in the reassemble process and have ran into a snag while rehanging the front axle. The rear side of the leaf springs are about an inch and a quarter closer together that the hangers. I did a bunch of measuring and found that the front right hanger was welded on at an angle and is causing a majority of the problem. The first picture shows the front hanger. I also measured the rest of the hangers and none of them seem quit right. The next two pictures show the distance between the hangers front to back as well as where we measured right and left. What are your opinions on this? Is this just how trailers come now or is this unusual? I would think this should be covered under warranty but I'm not sure if I trust a dealership to get it right either. Do you think its worth trying to get it warrantied and having a dealership try to fix it or should I just try to fix it myself? Do you think all 6 hangers should be cut off and be welded back on or just the front right? What would you guys do if you were in this situation? I don't feel that just forcing the back of the leaf spring over and isn't the right thing to do.

Attachments

• TrailerShackle.jpg
    TrailerShackle.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 24
  • TrailerAxlesRight.jpg
    TrailerAxlesRight.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • TrailerAxlesLeft.jpg
    TrailerAxlesLeft.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24

Tyler d4c

Is the center hashes square with the trailer. Measure from a point on them to say the center of the hitch plate. Appears to me someone did a terrible job of fitting the parts. Tires will be wearing bad like that

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Typical with punch them out trailer builders. Mass production, not mass quality control, much the same with mobile home builders. Yes, you're going to find flaws, but it will roll. That's not me saying all good, just saying it will roll. Getting seller to make it right? Don't know, never tried that. Might work out, might be a fight from hell. Should you take the time to correct it yourself? That's your choice. Myself, yeah, I'm a stickler for perfect, but at the same time, if it works I don't mess with it. Main thing with that suspension is make sure hanger bolts/nuts aren't overtightened and thereby not allowing them to pivot. But if you have hangers out of alignment to the point they cause excessive tire wear, that's different, that needs to be fixed.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If it was mine, I'd be flipping the trailer, measuring the diagonals, as well as all the other critical measurements, then cutting off and re-positioning offending hangers that don't measure up accurately.
Your diagonal measurements must be spot on, or the trailer will never track true, and you'll have increased tire wear.
You measure diagonals from the dead centre of the hitch to the dead centre of the ends of the axles. You might need to have the hubs off. They shouldn't vary any more than 1/8".
You need a good flat concrete floor to work off for accuracy, and to ensure the frame isn't twisted when doing your measuring.
Also, check the axle positioning on the springs for true alignment. Axle centre to centre must vary no more than 1/8" as well.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Go out and measure 25 Iron Bull/Loadtrail/PJ/Big Tex/ ect and you will find the same thing 25 times.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
If it was mine, I'd be flipping the trailer, measuring the diagonals, as well as all the other critical measurements, then cutting off and re-positioning offending hangers that don't measure up accurately.
Your diagonal measurements must be spot on, or the trailer will never track true, and you'll have increased tire wear.
You measure diagonals from the dead centre of the hitch to the dead centre of the ends of the axles. You might need to have the hubs off. They shouldn't vary any more than 1/8".
You need a good flat concrete floor to work off for accuracy, and to ensure the frame isn't twisted when doing your measuring.
Also, check the axle positioning on the springs for true alignment. Axle centre to centre must vary no more than 1/8" as well.
I only agree because we've done exactly that around here. While it's apart he should also get rid of those plastic leaf spring eye bushings and the bolts going with a "wet bolt" kit like this:

In the long run for a good trailer it's a bit more expensive up front to build one yourself as the quality can be controlled.

Tags

There are a couple of problems with all this. If you go back to the dealer, they will argue that you took it all apart and that could have caused the issues. We all know it did not and that’s not good business, but sadly that’s the way things seem to be now, but I would bet they will use that to get out of a proper repair. You have nothing to lose by going back to them and give it a shot or call iron bull. I personally would either hire a competent welder/trailer repair center, have them cut off the mounts, remeasure and reweld everything back properly. Or, if you are a competent welder, do it yourself.