• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new to the game

rami1

i Have just started a excavation business in Aus and was just wondering how some people went about starting your business. i have sent flyers out, put business cards in mail boxes, turned up at random work sites (about 20) visited adressess of approved development applications and give them my card and still no work its been about a month now and still no work. Iam not letting it get to me and keep telling myself that Rome wasnt built in a day, this thougt process will not last long.......

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Rami1

CM1995

Administrator
Are there websites that gives project leads down under? I am sure there are some.

In the US we have Dodge Reports, Bidclerk, LDI online, etc. These sites list projects from the planning stages to the bidding and post-bid stages, public and private. Most of these sites charge a monthly fee in order to get the pertinent information - phone numbers for the estimators, etc.

I have found these sites to be a wealth of info if you want to go after the commercial jobs. You can get the phone number for the estimator to get yourself on the bid list for the project.

You may also want to check your local government(s). Some cities post their RFP's (Request for Proposals) on their websites or they are available for review at the town hall. Of course working for the gov't has it's pitfalls so take that with a grain of salt.

You can also try Craigslist, although I haven't had much luck with that in the past. Don't forget the new social media - Facebook.

Good Luck!

rami1

thanks for the tip CM1995 i have signed up and subsribed to a few of them sites but still nothing for earthworks. like i said its been a month now and nothing, luckily i paid cash for my truck and excavator and its not on finance if it was i would have added pressure of repayments. There is a town 3 hours away from where i live they say that they are screaming for guys to do earthworks and that jobs are backed up 6 months ! i think a trip out there on monday might be on the cards.

CM1995

Administrator
There is a town 3 hours away from where i live they say that they are screaming for guys to do earthworks and that jobs are backed up 6 months ! i think a trip out there on monday might be on the cards.

Good Luck!:thumbsup

vcinri

Some of the larger companies often hire owner/operated equipment. It may be worth your while to contact some of them and get on their list. It may be a good way to get the ball rolling and could be quite profitable.

Good luck,
VC