• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to me mini ex

2011Laramie

Good morning everyone.
Im new here, just found this forum this month while i was researching yanmar mini ex's.

I bought a 2012 yanmar vio55-5b that had 926hrs on it i put 9hrs on it before i had to leave for work again.

I work 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out up in northern Alberta. My family and i are developing our place and i decided this machine should work for a few years while i need it... I'm already hooked on it and want to start a side business on my weeks off once I am better on the machine.

I am still getting to know the machine and have a ton to learn.

Attachments

• 20200610_170459.jpg
    20200610_170459.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 57

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Welcome to HEF. That Yanmar should be a good machine, I would have considered one but no dealer within 120 miles. If you start doing side jobs, be careful. I've already pulled up the water line to my house twice and a 2" sewer drain one time. My Father's Day consisted of making a run to the DIY store to buy a bunch of 1 1/4" pvc fittings to make the repair. When my wife sees me near the house with the hoe I get that look.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
We have a Yanmar dealer here, and he sells quite a few machines many have multiple Yanmar excavators, owners seem to be pretty happy with them.

2011Laramie

Only things ive found so far are,
Not sure how hot these run when working but mine got up to about the red line before i shut it down for supper the one night. I added some coolant to the overflow bottle, but of course the next day it was significantly colder outside.
20200613_220200.jpg

And the thumb seems kinda loose it rattles around. Not sure if its correct. Almost seems like its missing a sleeve or something.
20200623_225557.jpg

Orest Anhel

My Yanmar Vio 35-3 has the same slop on the pin the thumb pivots on. Thinking I should shim it up some with heavy washers but haven't got around to it yet. Warmest mine runs is about 4 needle widths above the second hashmark. Maybe try hosing out your rad. Very happy with my machine at 3400 hours. Love the pin grabbers as it fits a wide range of buckets.DSCF6525.jpg

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I would do a thorough cleaning of whatever radiators you have, make sure your fan belt has proper tension. Might as well do a full service on it unless you have maintenance records.

heymccall

We have a plethora of yanmar powered machines here, and I've never had one go more than 500 hours without needing the belts tightened, ever.
My TB53FR, TB180FRs, TL150s, ViO55, ViO80, TB035, and on and on.
With the engine off, reach in (you may have to move accessories) and turn the tip of a fan blade. If you can turn it with on finger, it is too loose. Not always is there a belt noise when the belt is loose.

Welder Dave

Use a temp. gun to see just what temp. it is running at. Sometimes gauges can read a little different between machines. I think some heavy washers/shims would take up the slop in the thumb.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
We have a plethora of yanmar powered machines here, and I've never had one go more than 500 hours without needing the belts tightened, ever.
My TB53FR, TB180FRs, TL150s, ViO55, ViO80, TB035, and on and on.
With the engine off, reach in (you may have to move accessories) and turn the tip of a fan blade. If you can turn it with on finger, it is too loose. Not always is there a belt noise when the belt is loose.

I can relate to that comment.

strykerakamack

My Yanmar Vio 35-3 has the same slop on the pin the thumb pivots on. Thinking I should shim it up some with heavy washers but haven't got around to it yet. Warmest mine runs is about 4 needle widths above the second hashmark. Maybe try hosing out your rad. Very happy with my machine at 3400 hours. Love the pin grabbers as it fits a wide range of buckets.View attachment 219928
Quick Question , What size ram are you using on your thumb ?
I've got a 30" mechanical thumb on my 35-3 but would like to add hydraulics to it .

strykerakamack

When ya get back Overall length and the travel of ram would be great
looks like I would have to move the ram pin hole closer so I guess
the distance from pin to frame would be helpful .
Are you just using foot control for movement and did you add anything to circuit or just using
as is ?
Thanks

JPSouth

Use a temp. gun to see just what temp. it is running at. Sometimes gauges can read a little different between machines. I think some heavy washers/shims would take up the slop in the thumb.

Second this; t-shooting hydraulic and coolant leaks, engine cooling problems, plugged radiators...the IR temp gun is a wonderful thing. Once you know the exact temps of the inlet/outlet hoses, radiator core area, thermostat, you can figure whether the gauge is sticky or malfunctioning, also whether the sender is correct. Sometimes a sending unit will get corroded a little or something come a bit loose, give a faulty reading. A compromised sending wire will also give an inaccurate reading.

Orest Anhel

Quick Question , What size ram are you using on your thumb ?
I've got a 30" mechanical thumb on my 35-3 but would like to add hydraulics to it .
Sorry for the slow reply. Cylinder is 3 inch diameter, rod is 1.5 inches. Full extension is 47.5 inches pin centre to pin centre. Full retract length is 27.75 inches pin centre to pin centre. Stroke is 19.75 inches.

Attachments

• DSCF8575.jpg
    DSCF8575.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF8576.jpg
    DSCF8576.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 10