• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new to me Leyland Cranvel backhoe

jatt

Picked this up yesterday

She sure aint a new one, but it should do for my needs.
The hoe itself doesnt have a "side shift", instead has two pivot points.

My first thing will the customary fluid and filter change

The clutch will need attention soon, there doesnt seem to be much travel left.

Came with 2 buckets.

As expected a few hyd hoses will need to be changed.

So yeah lots of research to do, and no doubt some fix ups along the way to carry out.

Attachments

• cranvel 1.jpg
    cranvel 1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 485
  • cranvel 2.jpg
    cranvel 2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 376
  • cranvel 3.jpg
    cranvel 3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 364
  • cranvel 4.jpg
    cranvel 4.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 400
  • cranvel 5.jpg
    cranvel 5.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 318

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Cool! Never seen a hoe with dual pivots like that to get side shift. Is it based on the little Leyland 154?? Looks like a handy unit!

Last edited:

jatt

Is it based on the little Leyland 154

That's exactly what it is.

On the donk its got 1500 on it. Can only assume it means 1500 cc.

Admittedly I Don't know much about this hoe yet. Just know from looking around at various sites and drive buys of machinery joints that Leyland stuff seems to be still around the traps. How much suits my unit remains to be seen.

The next mission will be a search for any literature like manuals.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
At least the basic tractor was mass produced, should be no problem getting parts for it. That leyland should have a BMC engine, is it gas or diesel? I've got a Nuffield 4 65 (damn near a Leyland) which has a 3.8L BMC diesel,like the big brother to your unit. Mounting a Bobcat brand 811 hoe on a sub frame, with a front loader. Doing it on the cheap and when i've got nothing better to do, so it's taking a while! haha! Does your unit have a crank drive hydraulic pump? Is that center pivot the reservoir? :beerchug

jatt

It has a 4 cyl diesel. BMC interesting. More research into this for sure.

Does your unit have a crank drive hydraulic pump? Is that center pivot the reservoir?
Yes and yes. The fan belt looks like it has seen better days, so will be interesting when I have to change it. The front axle pivot assembly is around the drive shaft from hydraulic pump.