• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Thumb

TCM

Here is my new thumb. In another threat I said I was just going to buy one but I could not help myself. So I took the hard route and built it myself. I turned out ok for my first time. The full stroke of the actuator isn't used. I do not have a pressure relief so if anyone has ideas or know of a bolt on valve I'm all ears. What do you all think?

IMG_0113resize.jpgIMG_0114resize.jpg

74inchShovel

Alot to like here! Nice welds, fit&finish. A couple of things to think about though. In the first picture, ram comes very close to, or in contact with the arm. Make sure it does not ever hit it. In the second picture, is that fully retracted? If so, it may drive you nuts after a while. IMHO it hangs out to far. Should be tighter to the boom. I make my own thumbs as well, there is alot to think about when doing one. There will be a relief valve already in the circuit for aux, what I think you mean is a crossover valve. Its purpose is so the thumb does not overpower the bucket. The bucket needs to be able to push the thumb, but not vice versa. I did not install one on mine, I just set the thumb and bucket into it. I am also the only one to run the machine too. Anyway, NICE JOB!