• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New pickup

mitch504

Mine-2006 ranger 4L, bought it 2013 for 6,000 with 55k on it, has 130k on it now.
just regular service/maintenance.

I was in Outback Steakhouse about 2005 or so, overheard a guy behind me complaining about a pickup he couldn't sell, said he'd take the first $2000 he was offered or he was going to donate it to charity. I stood up and asked about it, '99 Ranger, 2.x 4 cyl, automatic, 89,000 miles, tow package, heavy payload package. He said nobody wanted it because it was a long bed and had been driven by a smoker. At the time my father was driving a '92 Toyota he loved but had 300,000 miles on it and no A/C. I bought the truck the next morning and brought it to my father, who said thanks and gave me my money back, then parked it in the yard until summer. He started driving it more and more over the next few months, then the '92 became the shop truck 'til a fitting under the intake rusted out and I never got around to fixing it.

I inherited the Ranger back in '14, used it for a shop truck 'til I got tired of putting fuel pumps in it every year, it's out there now with 150k miles on it, back in service after my 2500 GMC was totaled.

Tugger2

I know a guy who bought a new pickup off the lot. A few month later they were after him to sell it back for more than he paid. With all the ins and out taxes ect im not sure if it was a real gain for him. It used to be ,buy a new one drive it off the lot and loose 20% right away.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I hear now a new F350 diesel crew cab with a few bells and whistles is well over 100K.

FWIW I've ordered a '23 F350 6.7HO Platinum with Tremor package and it's just over $100K. The Platinum is fully loaded only one trim higher the Ultimate and Ford doesn't offer the Tremor package on it.

Now I wonder what happened to Dozerboy?

Tugger2

I have slowed down what i do now ,but when things were busy and had a few guys working we needed good pickups . I really like the idea of finding something good as Truck Shop has but some of the crew were not so nice to vehicles.And we did a lot driving from the Island to various spots up north. Im not sure how much sense it made to give them a brand new F350 s but thats how it was. I always leased the trucks we had a good dealer that would allow us to lease until the truck cost us a dollar at the end.No kilometer charges or damage stuff.
Business wise it worked well.
That nice truck sounds pretty nice CM1995 congratulation's , ill bet you deserve it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I have slowed down what i do now ,but when things were busy and had a few guys working we needed good pickups . I really like the idea of finding something good as Truck Shop has but some of the crew were not so nice to vehicles.And we did a lot driving from the Island to various spots up north. Im not sure how much sense it made to give them a brand new F350 s but thats how it was. I always leased the trucks we had a good dealer that would allow us to lease until the truck cost us a dollar at the end.No kilometer charges or damage stuff.
Business wise it worked well.
That nice truck sounds pretty nice CM1995 congratulation's , ill bet you deserve it.

Tugger I just ordered it to have a spot in line due to the long lead times. The economy will dictate if I take it or not when it gets delivered.:oops:

The current lease/rental options are a good idea IMO for work trucks. National Car Rental commercial has some very attractive monthly rental rates. If we had the need for multiple trucks on the road it would make sense to rent monthly as the cost is comparable to ownership and they will replace a broken down truck in kind with no additional cost.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Few years ago I was kicking tires on the Ford lot. I was looking at a new F450 Platinum on the lot. Over $100k on the sticker. Salesman inevitably wanders over. He wasn't impressed when I pointed to the Freightliner dealer down the street and said for that price I could get a nice, used M2 instead.

Tugger2

One of the attractive things about leasing here is the amount dosent show on the balance sheet as debt. And the monthly payment amounts are 100% write off,more write offs are great as long as your making some money.

Truck Shop

That 2006 Ranger I own was a total/salvage title. Gayle the other guy I worked with rebuilt over 30
Rangers. He knows every part and piece in a Ranger from 1993 to 2011. It doesn't matter to me
about the salvage title, run it till the doors fall off.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
FWIW I've ordered a '23 F350 6.7HO Platinum with Tremor package and it's just over $100K. The Platinum is fully loaded only one trim higher the Ultimate and Ford doesn't offer the Tremor package on it.

Now I wonder what happened to Dozerboy?

what is in the tremor package?

Tugger2

Dont laugh about shaking the girls ,got in a friends new f150 and the passenger seat vibrates and rolls around to massage you . Feels like your sitting on a bag of cats.
I dont think much of the TV screen on the dash telling you everthing from where your going to whens a good time to stop for a leak.
I keep a set of road maps stashed under the back seat that will get me from Alaska to Arizona .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
No wonder he ordered it. Don’t blame him!

LOL. The Tremor package adds bigger shocks, factory front level kit, longer vent tubes on the axles, deletes rear sway bar and adds different off-road modes such as sand, snow, and mud. Basically a Raptor light package for the Superduties.

Now the massaging seats are no joke. Platinum trim gets massaging seats which my wife loves - hit the heat button then relax massage and she almost doesn't complain about my driving.:rolleyes:

Seriously after a long work day and an hour or more commute the massaging seats helps me from stoving up on the way home.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Seriously after a long work day and an hour or more commute the massaging seats helps me from stoving up on the way home.

haha! I never heard it described that way but I know what you’re talking about.

Tugger2

Ive had heated seats for years and run them steady .They help worn out back lots,you know its bad when heat seat is cranked in the summer along with the A/C wide open.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I wish someone would build a "man's truck."

I could care less about accessories, just give me an interior with features common to a base level truck from about 2006 along with a nice exterior appearance package. Big engine under the hood with a manual transmission and manual transfer case.

No reason what I listed should cost more than about $30k.

Tugger2

I think your looking for a Model A ,if your into Fords . I know what you mean ,just has to called a <persons> truck to satisfy todays PC requirements