• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Pete tridrive and PK100002 Knuckboom

boomguy

New pete we are rigging up will add more pictures right away.

Attachments

• truck 101.jpg
    truck 101.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,665

boomguy

more pictures of the truck just before it goes in for paint.

Attachments

• truck 102.jpg
    truck 102.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,683
  • truck 103.jpg
    truck 103.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,601

Contraman

Now that is a really nice bit of kit - Very Impressive - More photos when completed please

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Kinda wierd seeing 379 style grill and headlights on a new truck again...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That is a helluva truck! Tri-drive and tandem steer, the sticker price must set a new record.:eek:

boomguy

I was very happy at the final weight, it came in under 65000lbs fully rigged. When u think of it, its amazing as the crane has almost the same lifting capaciting as a 38 ton Manitex we have on a tandem tandem Autocar.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Interesting truck. Here's our Mack configured in a similar way. It regularly hauls a 100-ton capacity Talbert lowboy (200-ton with the dolly under the kingpin). Also the 85tonne-metre knuckleboom is a really handy lifting tool.

Boomguy. What sort of degrees of articulation can you get between the rear drive axles when you go off road..? That's what kills us with our Mack, you have to really carefully what you do with it otherwise it tears out the driveshaft between the diffs of the 2nd & 3rd drive axles. At the moment I'm thinking of ripping the 3 existing drive axles out of it and replacing them with 2 x 120,000 pound planetary-drive axles. The kicker is that when we had it built we were offered a really heavy-duty tandem rear axle setup, but it would mean a 3-month delay on the delivery date that we didn't want, so we went for 3 axles instead. Knowing what we know now we could have waited - hindsight is 20/20 vision as always.

Mack Tractor.JPG

JDOFMEMI

Nige

It looks to me like your Mack has a standard 4'6" axle spacing. That limits driveshaft length between axles, making the slip yolk too short. Is that what happens, the yolk comming apart?

It also looks like Boomguy's Pete has a wider axle spacing. Maybe not quite 5'9", but closer to that than 4'6". That would allow a longer yolk, as well as longer torque arms and such for better articulation when the going gets tough.

The Mack looks nice, but it looks like more of a road rig, where I bet the Pete is better off road.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Jerry, no it's not the slip joint on the drive shaft coming apart, it just tears the u/joints out of it. Good point on the axle spacing. Makes my blood boil when we told Mack that we needed this truck for mostly off-road work and that's what they recommended. Hell we even had the drivetrain configured for a maximum top speed of only 34mph....!! This thing would pull the Titanic up the side of a house.

boomguy

Interesting truck. Here's our Mack configured in a similar way. It regularly hauls a 100-ton capacity Talbert lowboy (200-ton with the dolly under the kingpin). Also the 85tonne-metre knuckleboom is a really handy lifting tool.

Boomguy. What sort of degrees of articulation can you get between the rear drive axles when you go off road..? That's what kills us with our Mack, you have to really carefully what you do with it otherwise it tears out the driveshaft between the diffs of the 2nd & 3rd drive axles. At the moment I'm thinking of ripping the 3 existing drive axles out of it and replacing them with 2 x 120,000 pound planetary-drive axles. The kicker is that when we had it built we were offered a really heavy-duty tandem rear axle setup, but it would mean a 3-month delay on the delivery date that we didn't want, so we went for 3 axles instead. Knowing what we know now we could have waited - hindsight is 20/20 vision as always.

View attachment 89224
Ours has a 60" pete air track suspension its one of the first that has been put on a tridrive i have been told so we will see. The Western Star in the fleet has 56"spread with airliner tridrive rear axels and have had no problems with it and it is over 5 years old now
Even though its going to be working in the oilpatch i dont think that it will be exposed to what yours has to put up with:) I have had very good luck with tridrives in the past, one of the bigest issues is greasing the ujoints between the diffs,twice as much as you would normaly would think. They take lots of abuse and it seems that grease and lots of it is the only thing that prolong's thier life.

Last edited: