• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Owner / Operator. JD CT322 Questions.

DirtWorx76

Occupation
Coal Miner, Bush Hogger.
Good Evening Gentleman.

I picked up a JD CT322 2 days ago. 3000 Hours, Checked all bushings and final drives. tracks are 75% No Leaks and gave it a decent test run moving several yards of dirt. No smoking & Runs pretty strong for it being an 04.. Got a nice toothed bucket and a Alamo bush hog with it.. So now to the questions.

1) How often do you service FINAL DRIVES? Im not sure when the last was done and I asked the previous owner when the last time was and he said Late last year but didnt remember.. They dont leak which is a plus and I dont hear grinding as it runs smooth..

2) How do you service them? There is a center bolt and 3 others around the outside of the housing.. I went to JD and they said they take 18oz of fluid so I got some while there. Or Should I use another brand other then JD specified?

3) I ran it for several hours today. Right at the end I noticed the right side kept wanting to move forward a hair. Like something is stuck? Will this go away or am I in for an expensive ride?

What should I look for issue wise? I learned to use a skid in my bosses old NH LX665. Loved that thing. Small and could get into tight spots.. Was a good machine to learn in.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide..Im new to a tracked machine and don't know a whole lot about them. I figure I'll be in the forums for a long time to come.

thanks again.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF DirtWorx76;)!

First a serial number.

For the final drive oil, the operator's manual (OMT215996, I recommend you get this)) states every 1000 hrs. I would highly recommend changing them every engine oil change (500 hrs). I would even consider making the change every 250 hrs. I would use the oil Deere recommends, however any major oil manufacturer's GL5 gear oil would do. Don't buy cheap store brand oil.

One of the outer plugs should be at the bottom for draining. That will leave another outer plug higher than the center plug. Fill at the higher plug until oil comes out the center plug.

For your creep issue, do you have mechanical steering levers or do you have "EH" controls (electronic)?

DirtWorx76

Occupation
Coal Miner, Bush Hogger.
Not sure.. I need to go look at the vin. There said to be 17? but I got 13 in my bill of sale..Its an 04 I'm not sure on the steering..I have to hold the right stick now when starting so it doesnt stall out on fire up.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Do your hand grips sit on top of levers and the whole assembly is moved to move the machine (mechanical control)? Or do you have grips that sit on top of plastic paneling without being attached to long levers (EH Controls)? I am guessing mechanical controls based on the fact you have to hold them to start. You would not have to do that with an EH machine.

Creep adjustment on mechanical machines is fairly simple provided the linkage is not all worn out. I recommend you acquire TM2151 Operation and Test manual. That will have the procedure and many other fun facts about your machine.