• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New owner of OLD Case 1845C

bobkmd69

Bought a well used 1845C (I think it is at least mid 90's as it has the single safety arm) to help clear my land and dig a pond. I bought it knowing that it will need some work. The previous owner told me of the issues he had with it, which seemed to me to be minor (couple of hydraulic leaks and a box of master links for when the chains slipped off). I noticed it was making a popping noise in the front left wheel, so I removed the access cover and noticed that there was a lot of slack in the chain on the axle. The chain on the gearotor was fine. That's when I ran into a bit of confusion. I went ahead and adjusted the front axle to tighten this chain, which somehow managed to loosen the main drive chain off the gearotor. I tightened this one up, but then checked the rear axle and it was also loose. When I went to adjust this one, it was already as far back as possible, and the play was over an inch. Just to be more thorough, I checked the right side and it too is very loose. Is there a proper adjustment order to these chains, or does it sound like I might need to remove a link in the chain to be able to put it back into adjustment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Prospector

I now have an 1845C, after selling my Case 1840. My 1840 was well used and one day it broke a left rear chain so I bought a new chain from the dealer. I would recommend that you first pull all chain covers and check the sprockets for wear then if the other chains still have some adjustment. If the other chains and sprockets look OK then I would not mess with removing links. In my humble opinion, you should buy a new chain and replace the worst one and determine if the other chains are not also close to needing replacement. The other chain on the same side may need to be replaced also. Replacing just the broken chain worked for me since all other chains still had ample adjustment remaining.

I hope this helps.