• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Operator Looking for Advice

BellB25C

Hi,

I'm a 17 year old guy trying to get his foot in the door on construction and oilfield work. I work out of Western Canada (BC, Alberta). I have done quite a bit of farm work and have run a large variety of machines like older Cat D7Es, track hoes, tractors, loaders, ect. I also know a bit about the mechanical end of heavy equipment. I can weld fairly well, but don't have certifications. I have WHMIS and I am planning on getting as many certifications like H2S and Fall Avoidance as I can. I am also planning on getting my Class 1 driver's licence as soon as I can.

I want to make myself as marketable as an employee as possible. I like the idea of getting my welding certifications, but I think that the market for welders is totally flooded right now. Getting Rig technician qualifications is a possibility, but I don't know about the future of the Alberta oilpatch and that might be a flooded market too. Heavy Duty mechanic is an option that I am looking pretty seriously at.

I like travelling and don't mind living in work camps in isolated locations. I am building up my personal pickup as a bit of a service truck with a tool box, engine drive welder, and a tidy tank.

I am just trying to decide on a starting job to raise a bit of capital, then transition into training for a specific career. I'd be very interested to hear some suggestions.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I can tell you from personal experience that if you can move equipment and operate it proficiently you will always have a job.There is always a demand for an operator who can haul an excavator to a job site,do the job and bring it home at night.You will always get plenty of overtime too because you will probably have to move other machines after you have your equipment moved to get the paving crew ready for their next days work etc so if you are handy you will be busy.Ron G

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If a person drove up to a jobsite I was managing and asked for a job, driving a well cared for truck that was outfitted to do something useful, not just look pretty, would certainly get him a second word. There is no second chance for a first appearance. Clean work clothes, boots, and no cigarette hanging out of your mouth can go a long way. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Be honest about your skills and your goals. Keep pecking away and you will find your nitch. Keep us posted on how you fare.

BellB25C

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with RonG about having the ability to move equipment by yourself, that is a useful skill. I know that in this industry experience is king, and probably the most important thing for me to do is just try to rack up hours. You're right about personal image, old iron.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Ron and old iron said very smart things.

I can't say anything about how to be marketable to a manager or a supervisor in a big business, but I can say how to be marketable to the owner of a small business. See the big picture of the business; the best employees are the ones who add the most value to the product, and generate the most profit. The more productive that you are, the more valuable you are. If you are thoughtful, cooperative, flexible, and honest about your self, you will be hired quickly.

ericscher

I can't say anything about how to be marketable to a manager or a supervisor in a big business, but I can say how to be marketable to the owner of a small business. See the big picture of the business; the best employees are the ones who add the most value to the product, and generate the most profit. The more productive that you are, the more valuable you are. If you are thoughtful, cooperative, flexible, and honest about your self, you will be hired quickly.

As a small business owner I can tell you that finding employees who understand that there IS a big picture is very difficult. You could train a monkey to weld. What you can't do is get him to understand why the weld matters, how it fits into the overall business or how to be an ASSET, not just part of the overhead.

BTW, have you considered going into the military?

Not to be a grunt or do any of the stupid things that I did...

I mean to have the opportunity to work on mission critical projects under adverse conditions and tight schedules.

I only mention it because you're young enough that it's a real option.

BellB25C

I'll definitely keep the big picture in mind and try to make myself as much of an asset as possible. I think that I would rather stick to the civilian market, but it's an interesting option.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
A suggestion, keep a diary of where you worked every day. Include in it:
1) What the job is, type of work etc...
2) Where it is.
3) What you are doing and your daily productions of that work and the machine you are running.
4) Who you worked for.
5) Soil types and conditions, water depth, soil type, rock elevation, etc...
You will find this resource invaluable.

chevota84

I can tell you from personal experience that if you can move equipment and operate it proficiently you will always have a job.There is always a demand for an operator who can haul an excavator to a job site,do the job and bring it home at night.You will always get plenty of overtime too because you will probably have to move other machines after you have your equipment moved to get the paving crew ready for their next days work etc so if you are handy you will be busy.Ron G
X2. You have to try pretty hard to be unemployed with a valid cdl and clean driving record. Being able to run the equipment that you haul just makes you that much more useful. Even if you could just be trusted to load and unload equipment without a babysitter you'd be ahead of a good portion of the other applicants.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I am just trying to decide on a starting job to raise a bit of capital, then transition into training for a specific career. I'd be very interested to hear some suggestions.

If at all possible go for the type of work you want first. Life tends to get in the way of plans. If you do get into working with machines always be mindful. Look before you back up, always be aware of what's going on around you.

JDOFMEMI

I can tell you that you are on the right path. You come off with a good attitude, and willingness to work. That is rare at your age in this area.

If I had a young man like you show up looking for work I could not move fast enough to give him a chance.

I was motivated much as you are at that age, and I have used the opportunities to work into partial ownership of a small, growing business, and ended up buying the business for myself. With hard work and a good attitude, you can go as far as you want.

BellB25C

A suggestion, keep a diary of where you worked every day. Include in it:
1) What the job is, type of work etc...
2) Where it is.
3) What you are doing and your daily productions of that work and the machine you are running.
4) Who you worked for.
5) Soil types and conditions, water depth, soil type, rock elevation, etc...
You will find this resource invaluable.

That's a really good idea and I'm going to start doing that!

Buckethead- If at all possible go for the type of work you want first. Life tends to get in the way of plans.

I know what you mean, but the careers that I am interested in (heavy duty mechanic, ect.) would all benefit from some diverse operating experience.

drivadesl

Occupation
Engineer
Bell, it sounds to me you're in an awesome place and have a pretty good clue what you want to do in life. Clearly you haven't spent your teen years surfing the web like most of your generation. Best of luck with your search. Stick with that attitude, be flexible and take every opportunity presented and you will do well.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
This is all great advice and is the kind of advice I utilized to get myself in the position I'm in now. But I'm going to inject one thing. Find what you love to do and follow that. I have myself and know of several people that have been stuck in jobs but they did not enjoy because they wanted to be diverse in what they could do. Your happyness is your big picture. Not being unhappy so you can have a job.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
this is awesome advice bell, everyone that has commented couldn't have said it better.

my little addition:-
well done for knowing where you want to go in life.
i love working with my hands too and thats how i ended up doing an apprenticeship in Diesel Plant Fitting(heavy duty mechanic). its been two years since qualifying. and i love it. because i get to fix these amazing machines. i get to operate them and learn how they work. not on every site though.. but being based on-site doesn't phase me either and it definitely comes in handy.

keep on doing what you're doing dude. and it'll all fall into place.

oh, one more thing. a quote my dad always tells me;
"the day you think you know everything about something, walk away from it, because that attitude will end up getting you killed"

bit morbid, but never truer.

good luck