• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NEW MOXY MT51 articulated truck

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
You mean, people actually still buy Moxy's ???

:falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh :umno Which brings up the question how Terex is still in business.:confused:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I've never even seen a Moxy in person. :beatsme

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
countryboy,you are not only man that never seen a moxy in person,me,i just have seen a deere,volvo,jcb and a komatsu artic in person.

That should tell you something about a moxy.:D

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
Never heard of moxy before...Do they really suck? They don't look too bad. I saw on their website that they have 250 in canada. The Komatsu dealer sells 'em here in Edmonton. Talking about terex, we have a 2000 TA30....oh man what a piece of sh/t.

ADMSWELDING

Occupation
CERTIFIED WELDER/UNION SHEETMETAL WORKER LOCAL 17
I have

I,ve seen a moxy rock truck at the qaurry i work at has one out here in mass.First for me just 3 weeks ago.:beatsme

biggixxerjim

Moxy's are fairly easy to come by in Jersey... Ive just ran a bunch of the old ones, the 6225 and 7235 models, and they had nothing to complain about....

Wulf

I didn't know that Komatsu was part owner in Moxy.:confused: Check out this link http://www.tractor-equipment.com/product_line/products.htm go down the page to the Moxy line.

CM1995, its true that Komatsu and Moxy were collabarating since the mid 80's the MT36 and MT40 had a Komatsu transmission, however the relationship was terminated around 2000 and Komatsu came out with their own brand of articulated truck.

In my experience Moxy made a nice truck, very solid frames and box which take lots of punishment, Scania engines were excellent too.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks for the info Wulf-

I was just going by what it said on the TEC website which is our local Komatsu and Moxy dealer. Looking through the Heavy Equipment trader this morning, I came across an old Komatsu artic and it looked like a Bell - same style dump body. It did not have the year model though.

There are not many, if any, Moxy trucks that I know of operating around here. I usually base my opinions of equipment this way:
1. Are there alot of them being run by my competitors.
2. Dealership and service - dealership location for our area
3. Resale value compared to comparable machines. I have found a few Moxy's in the Heavy Equipment Trader (local area) - but their resale value compared to Volvo, Cat, Deere, Komatsu trucks is very low in comparision. This is also the case I have found out on MachineryTrader. Usually if a comparable machine with similiar hours is much cheaper than others - then there is a reason for it. Quality, dealer service, parts availability, reliability, etc.

But I have also found an exception to this - the used Deere trucks bring more than the used Bell trucks in my area. :beatsme Which these two are virtually the same, but then again it may be dealership and service. Sometimes contractor's preference plays into the mix as well. I guess things like this are the reason why heavy equipment is so fascinating!:)

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
i ran a moxey down in GA for 6 months took a beating 12-14 hrs a day no down time

dirtworksequip

Moxy

I ran a New Moxy in 1995. It was a piece of crap compared to Volvo machines at that time period. I advised the owner of the company, not rent anymore or even think about buying any. They never did rent anymore Moxy's,but they have bought several Volvo's and Caterpillar artic's since.

xcavator120

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I ran a New Moxy in 1995. It was a piece of crap compared to Volvo machines at that time period. I advised the owner of the company, not rent anymore or even think about buying any. They never did rent anymore Moxy's,but they have bought several Volvo's and Caterpillar artic's since.
I'll agree 100%, Moxy's are junk compared to Volvo's, I've ran both. We have 2 Moxy MT30's, 1-Volvo a25c, and 1-Terex. It's a toss up between the Volvo and Terex, however I've got more time in the Volvo..

Partsdude

One of my customers has 2 MT36's.

Oil leaking garage queens.
The Scania engines sound nice, but try and find parts for them in Canada. :Banghead

I'd be happy to never see one again.

WColtharp

The grading/utilities company I worked for only ran Cat and Volvo tail dumps. I must say the Volvo trucks are tough to beat in ever category. I believe I have seen 1 moxy here in the Tennessee area, but only saw it while driving so I couldn't get a close up. They look like an interesting truck and I hope they become more common around these areas which are dominantly ruled by Cat wagons and Volvo's.

Here's some Moxy info I found on wikipedia:
"In the late 80's Moxy started a cooperation with the Japanese company Komatsu. During one period Moxy produced dump trucks that Komatsu sold under their own brand name. In 1981 the Norwegian state owned company AS Olivin and Komatsu together acquired Moxy and changed the company name to Moxy Trucks AS. Olivin owned 2/3 and Komatsu 1/3 of the shares. The new owners injected fresh capital and the Moxy dump trucks were sold through the Komatsu sales network, which led to a large increase in sales. They built Komatsu 25 & 27 tonne machine under licence, for sale in the European market.

In 2000 Komatsu withdrew from the partnership and Moxy lost a number of its sales outlets, which led to a reduction in sales. The drop in sales in turn led to a reduction in the workforce, this coincided with the Norwegian state's efforts to partly privatise Olivin (49 % of the shares were sold to private investors). In order to make Olivin more attractive for prospective buyers the the state injected 50 mil NOK into the company and split off the struggling Moxy as a state owned company. However, in 2002 51 % of the shares in Moxy were sold to the Ålesund based company Spilka Invest AS. A few months later the Norwegian economy started to improve and the sales of Moxy dump trucks increased. Following Market research a new range of "Plus 1 versions was designed in 2003, and introduced the following year.

Despite the economic problems the Moxy dump truck has a good reputation in the earth moving industry and in 2004 the English Thomson group acquired the company's assets following the Norwegians governments desision to privatise the company, production continued under the new company name Moxy Engineering AS in Norway.

In 2008 Doosan bought out the Thomson Group holding in Moxy Engineering AS and the factory in Elnesvågen is producing Moxy dump trucks in increasing numbers as ADT demand is still high.

Moxy are planning to launch a range of Ridgd Dump truck soon (2008)."

Last edited:

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist

Attachments

• Moxy Aveling Barford.jpg
    Moxy Aveling Barford.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 4,064
Last edited:

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Doosan did show the Moxy MT41 at INTERMAT 2009 (April in Paris, not a bad assignment for a dozer writer) in its new Doosan trade dress. They had an excavator up on bench loading the 41-ton truck, and then they'd take curious parties on a spin around the small demo area, driving the truck over a series of 30- or 36-inch moguls. CE video of the Moxy demo from INTERMAT

MATHO

Moxy Trucks

I have spent plenty of time around trucks lately and let me tell you the new Moxy is not apoor cousin to Volvo by any means , these things a re tough as nails and I would put them in places that would have Volvo's stop to sing Momma Mia