• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Member with 955L questions

Athompson2817

Hello all
Just getting started. Purchased a 955L that my local Cat dealer says is a 1973. The serial number plate reads "85J4919 Series L". Cat dealer says the serial number is really "85J04919".
I'm trying to figure out 1) which manuals I need (parts, service, operation and maintenance, or all). I want to replace all of the filters and I want to make sure I do it correctly as I am completely a novice when it comes to heavy machinery (I have been around gas engines and worked on personal vehicles a good bit). Is there enough information in the maintenance manual (Cat dealer says there is a manual for maintenance and one for operation) to do filter and fluid changes or do I need to go ahead and get a service manual? 2) I haven't been able to locate any manuals online that cover my serial number. Am I missing something on de-coding the serial numbers?

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions. I have been searching these forums doing research on machines over the last few months while I have been in the market for a machine. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 955 serial.jpg
    955 serial.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 955 1.jpg
    955 1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Welcome to HEF...!!
Lots of questions, let me see if I can fill in a few gaps
1. Your 955 is a very early L model. The model change from K to L occurred at 85J04672.
2. Build date as far as I can see is early 1972, likely 1st Quarter. The system does not list an exact date.
3. In the Cat system the correct way of listing the S/N is 85J04919.
4. You have a slightly unusual situation in that the Operation & Maintenance manual is divided into two parts, one for Operation, the other for Maintenance. Each one can be downloaded from Cat in pdf form for $27. The info in these manuals ought to be more than sufficient to do basic maintenance and servicing.
5. A Parts Manual pdf download is $89 from the same source.
6. IMO you only really need a service manual if you get into major machine disassembly & assembly. The Cat Publication Number is REG00634 if you want to go searching on the internet.

Here's one, and it may be a good buy because according to the seller it even includes the maintenance guide (which I assume to be SEBU6250). For all I know it could include SEBU5511 also - https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...TRACK-LOADER-sn-85J-71J-64J-57J-/392078803279

Last edited:

Nige

To buy pdf downloads of manuals, go to - https://catpublications.com/
When the popup appears, click on "Continue as Guest"
Type SEBU6250 into the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. (This is the Maintenance Manual)

upload_2019-11-22_7-0-45.png

Repeat the process using SEBU5511 if you want an Operation Manual ($27), or using UEG0589S if you want a Parts Manual ($89).

Athompson2817

I'm going Monday afternoon to pick up Air filters, Oil Filters and Oil, Hydraulic Filters and Fuel Filters. I will inquire about Mark. I'm about to download the manuals now.

Nige

My apologies - dyslexia strikes again. I should have written SEBU6520. You can see the difference between the two in the illustration photos. Check out my post #3.
Another tip - when you have paid for the downloads and you want to retrieve them you have to click on the Login button in the top RH corner of the screen, then on the "Manage Orders" link in the bottom left of the popup. You don't have to log in, it's just to get to the orders link. Don't ask me why it's there. I have no idea.

upload_2019-11-23_11-6-6.png

Gretch

Hi
I have a old 955l that i am working on. Problem is cant locate the SN? People here have helped but still no luck. Since you have one thought you might be able to tell me where to de grease and where i might find it. Thanks Gretch

leadfarmer

Welcome to the new 955L owner club, I just joined a few months ago. I spent today changing filters and cleaning screens. If I had to start over I would pull the frame the seat bolts too to have a little more space to work for adjusting the pedal linkages and changing filters.