• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New member here to say hello first

My daughter hiked the TA out there in 2019 and she carried one of those. Surprisingly, while she did lose coverage often, she was able to communicate with us most times through WhatsAp. Using regular texting feature of the phone did not work too well.
My daughter hiked the TA out there in 2019 and she carried one of those. Surprisingly, while she did lose coverage often, she was able to communicate with us most times through WhatsAp. Using regular texting feature of the phone did not work too well.

Very accurate, most of the time, as long as you’re still moving, you will get standard cell coverage off and on in some places, but if you happen to be stopped in one of those bad spots, then there will be good chance that a lot less than bugger all folks are about to head past you and check if you need a hand,

Eg I had a delivery last week, 2hrs 40 mins from base yard. Full signal till 2hrs 5 minutes, no signal from there till arrival and it was marginal signal, when I left there, I made a boo boo, turned the wrong way and my unit lost traction at the bottom of a gully while trying to head up a rough gravel hill, I tilted the hoist, diff locks in, tcs off and multiple backups down the hill to try again, but no cigar,
Nearest house was empty, jumped on the sat device, txt the man id just delivered to, and he came and pushed me up the hill so I could turn round and go back where I should have gone.
(I brought him a box of beer with my next delivery)

We can do a 3.5 hour trip to the West Coast, signal is patchy on the way, but a busy road by day if you need help, very quiet road at night and not many will stop at night, although probably only an hour of driving in a row with no signal, that’s a lot longer when you’re stopped.

Peter informed me of the how shall I say "distaste" Kiwis had for Aussies. :cool: He passed away several years ago, I really miss him.

As far as load restraints I would post it in the Equipment Moving Forum as it covers moving all sorts of stuff.
Wouldn’t say we have a distaste for them,,, more just banter as far as I’m concerned, but the clowns do try to claim our actors, singers, and blame us for anything they do, plus they don’t correct anyone from overseas when they assume nz is a state of australia so, more like a love hate relationship,,,, meaning that we love to hate them,, haha….

Only ever turns into a fight if there is rugby involved,, the rest of the time, we will drink and laugh with those Aussie clowns all day long, just a neighbour that ya wish ya didn’t have, but also glad ya do, just in case some worse moves in.

So you're saying that it's done, just not the ones you're going to eat. Tha kinda follows a saying we have here. "Don't $h!t where you eat." Seems like you guys are ok with it, if someone else is eating it. Sick bastards! Glad you're here
Hey, denying it would only make me seem more guilty, but unfortunately I’m too ugly and even the sheep turn me down… (sad face)

But those southern kiwis won’t take no for an answer and grab their Velcro gloves and make sure those sheep are well marinated for export….
Think about that next time the gravy is running down ya chin buddy… hahah..

All good banter my friend, I’d punch the bajebus out of anyone that does that to an animal, especially if youd claimed her first.

nielv

Occupation
Managing Director & Diesel Mechanic
Hi Everyone.

Greetings from South Africa.

Currently I'm in the industry of repairing, rebuilding and maintaining Heavy Duty Earth moving machinery, and recently we've started up an engineering sector in the company where we do line boring and bucket repairs.

Hope to get to know some of you better.

Thanks.

nielv

Occupation
Managing Director & Diesel Mechanic
Welcome bud! Any particular brand you favor, or whatever comes in next?
Thanks.

I used to work for Bell Equipment for a number of years as a Technical trainer, of which I would train the technicians on Bell, John Deere, Liebherr and Bomag machines, so obviously you grow to like the brand above others.

After leaving the company and starting up my own, I've learned a lot on other brand machines also. So far, my favorites would still be Bell, but in addition, I've grown to like Hitachi Excavators, ZX670, ZX870, EX1200, Komatsu Excavators, PC850, PC1250, Komatsu Rigid Dump Trucks, HD785's, HD465's, Komatsu Dozers, D155, D275, D375, D475's.

At the moment we take in what ever work we can get, so a person gets to learn a lot on other machines that we may not have worked on before. At this moment we are busy with Line Boring on a Bell B30D's articulation, Line Boring on ZX670-5 boom and stick, Line Boring on a EX1200-3's boom, stick and Toggle link, hydraulic diagnosis on a different EX1200-6, electrical diagnosis on a Bell 315SK TLB and hydraulic diagnosis on a Cat D10T dozer.