• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New member - advice on used backhoe

farmn

Hi all, New member here. I'm looking for advice on a used backhoe to help maintain my property in Virginia. I have a small excavator and a tractor but there are times I need more digging power than the mini will do and times I need to move heavier loads than the tractor will do. I've talked to several people who recommend Case. 580SL seems like a sweet spot between age and price but I really don't don't know all the pros and cons. Skill wise, I'm relatively new to equipment but have a long history of maintaining and fabricating. I don't mind working on a machine when needed, just don't want a long term project instead of a useable tool. I'd really appreciate any opinions on brands, years and especially why one vs another.

Thanks!

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Welcome to HE.
Being new myself, and asking similar questions, I can tell you from experience that you have come to the right place for advice - not from me - but from the gentlemen here.
So grab a coffee or your beverage of choice and sit back and enjoy. They'll be along shortly.

JL Sargent

Welcome to HEF Farmn. Is there a construction equipment dealer near you that could support your machine? I have a John Deere backhoe and the two construction/heavy equipment/ AG dealers that are closest to me are John Deere. I would not recommend buying a machine that has no support around you.
Also, do you have a budget in mind? Around the year 2003 or so John Deere added computers to their backhoes. I specifically wanted a pre computer one so hunted for that. You may want a newer more powerful one?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF! Great to have you.
Have you considered buying an old, giant excavator?

aighead

Welcome to HEF @farmn I'm with @rumblecloud in my lack of knowledge, but lots of good, smart people here. I have a pre-computered New Holland lb75b (maybe) that I'm happy with, when it starts. I think most of us here would agree with @JL Sargent that pre-computer is likely the way to go. I also do not have terribly local service for my hoe, and I wish I did. Sometimes I'd love to pay someone 200 bucks to come diagnose and issue for me, or be able to buy parts from.

Or this thread @Coaldust:

farmn

JL - there are several good equipment dealers near me. I'm not concerned about computers - like them actually. What I want to avoid is the newer systems that won't allow you to maintain your own equipment. That's the type of information I am hoping to find here at HEF. For example, the newer Case backhoes have a much higher pressure fuel system. I've heard that the extra pressure eats pumps and causes major issues. What year did that start and it it throughout the industry? The one brand I don't have support for is JD. I've read they're not interested in helping little guys with old equipment.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I don't think it is a matter of like/dislike computers, but rather, as you mention, a matter of being able to diagnose and fix ones own equipment. I personally picked my 1999/2000 New Holland 675E due to the fact that it is peaty much all mechanical. No dealer only software to worry about. Another reason for going older is the emission equipment on the newer machines that we have all herd the horror stories about, especially the after treatment systems.

The machine I own is on my property, and is only used to maintain my property. The region I am in has very rocky terrain. My property has trees that are probably no larger than 18" in diameter as an average. I have had my machine for ~5 years at this point, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like that it has the power to remove any stump I need gone (not as fast as a large excavator mind you), as well as the ability to carry a good load of dirt.

The front loader has moved some really big rocks over the years, and the backhoe has proven its worth as well. On the backhoe, I added an Amulet mechanical thumb. It could be a pain in the butt if you are trenching, but it all aces if one is wanting to grab a tree in order to hold, cut up, or move it, which is most of the work I do.

As far a a recommendation, I have an excavator (Bobcat E85) in addition to the backhoe. The bobcat is great for moving a lot of dirt fast, but slow going from point A to point B, and I mostly do not try to move a lot of dirt fast, and when I do, I still use the backhoe to move the dirt that I have dug. So, I do fully recommend a backhoe for property maintenance. As far as what year and brand, I would say pre computerized. What year that is differs by manufacturer. As far as brand, I tent to think the brand that has a dealer presence near by is what I lean towards. I am not stuck on New Holland, however despite some of the New Holland parts problems, I feel it is a great machine. My employer once has had many Case units in the fleet, and they were good machines as well. I have herd that JCB is a bear to get parts for, but a decent machine. Have herd Komatsu backhoes are a stand clear machine as well (I have no actual exp with JCB or Komatsu).

edgephoto

The advice to steer clear of machine loaded with electronics is sound and is applicable to cars and lights trucks too.

Replacement parts for the electronics are usually limited to the manufacturer and will be discontinued much sooner than anything in the past. These computers are not made by the equipment manufacturer but rather a supplier.

The contracts usually call for a certain amount of parts for production and an amount for anticipated repairs. Once these parts are used up they are typically not available unless there is enough demand for the supplier to tool back up and make a batch.

The aftermarket usually does not get into supplying these parts. Reverse engineering a computer is much harder than reverse engineering a mechanical part. Occasionally a cottage industry pops up that can fix these items but I would not count on it.

If you decide to go with an all electronic machine make sure to buy and save parts.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Edgephoto makes a great point! If you take care of a machine in a homeowner situation, it will last a lifetime. Why put your self in a position that your machine is considered obsolete and is not supported any more.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Deere is not exactly known for DIY repairs. I hear good things about CNH. Around me, Case is the only answer regarding a combo. JCB a distant second. CAT & Deere offer good products but I believe repair options are limited. I would not consider Volvo unless given to you for free. They are just , yuck.

Tinkerer

It is an awesome TLB. I have an older model 680.
They are a lot bigger than the 580's of the same age.
The 590's replaced it when Case discontinued making them.
Do you have one located that you are interested in ?

farmn

There's a 680 that lives off the edge of the parking lot near my gym. I haven't seen it moved in years so I'm thinking about finding the owner. I saw on another post that it might be too heavy for a farm machine. Poster said it was better suited to heavy pavement use. Thoughts on that?
How do I tell if the 680l (or even the 580l/590l) are 2wd or 4wd?

JL Sargent

Two quick thoughts.
1) The bigger the backhoe is, the heavier and slower it is to work with.
2) I would not buy a 2wd 680L. Talk about something that would be easy to get stuck.

aighead

I will add to the heavy comment. I first rented a backhoe, for a week, to take care of a list of things to do around the house. The rental made it so I had limited time and a lot of that time the ground was wetter than I realized, which led to lots of ruts, that made for a bumpy yard that still plagues me 4 years later. I've learned, with my backhoe, to be selective about when I take it out. It's also not a bad idea to have a path, so you aren't just driving willy-nilly all over the place. Most of my property is "yard" though, so it may make more of a difference for me.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The comment about 4 wheel drive is an important one. Without 4x4, there is no way I could do the work I need to. It is night and day. I have even managed to get the machine almost stuck with the 4x4. I say almost, because I have used the loader or hoe to free myself. Again, for off road property maintenance, 4x4 is a must have in my opinion.

farmn

Thanks guys. I keep reading that the 580/590 is perfect. Sounds like the 680 is just too big. I have a lot of hills and some bottoms. I can pick and choose weather to an extent but I don't want to be forced to work on sunny days only. At this point I'm thinking 580/590, L series and 4wd. Thoughts?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
extend a hoe, or whatever Case is calling it is nice to have!

Tinkerer

Don't eliminate a 680 until you see one.
Not only do I own a 680 I have a spent a decent amount of time on 580's also.
680's are not slow. They will move more material in a given amount of than any 580.
The longer reach of a 680 backhoe is quite important for what I use mine for.
They are no more prone to getting stuck than a 580. Tread depth on the rear tires make all the difference in the world for traction on any tractor. I realize you already know that.
4WD is definitively a plus. So is an enclosed cab.
There are days when it is too wet to operate any backhoe.
farmn; You will be just fine with a 580.
The 590's are more expensive to purchase than a 580 and there are reasons for that.