• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New loader tires.

nedly05

Our 444-H has michelin XTLA radials @ 17.5-25. They still have a good bit of tread left, but they are all checked, bad. What should we think, we would rather look into replacing them than find the machine with a flat when we need it. Our old loader always has bias tires, but the radials are so much nicer, and they are better in snow.What to do? I know that the radials are wicked expensive so that will probably rule them out...So will a tire die due to checking, or should we feel comfortable runnin' em like they are?

I also know that in BC, loaders are sitting on blocks because the radials have all been shipped to china, the fords all have orange cancer and the fishing.....:rolleyes: sorry couldn't resist:D

JDOFMEMI

:my2c
I would take nearly worn out and weathered Michelin Radials over a set of new cheap Bias ply tires.
There are some bias plys that hold up, but in my experience, they have about 5 times as many flats as a good radial.
Steer a far path away from the Chinese tires. I put some on a haul truck out of necesity, it was all that I could get, and after 3 months, one is junk, 2 have repairs, and I think the others are worn out pretty badly. You can almost watch the rubber wear off it is so soft.
If you go bias, Goodyear or Bridgestone is the way to go.

Best of luck

jmac

Hey nedly05, are you missing Ford lt9000 already? I would guess that his comments about Orientals was the last straw for him. :eek:

nedly05

NO, I dont miss him. Actually it's pretty nice without him finding fault with every post on the forum. Evidently he didn't know enough to keep certain comments to himself!(actually most comments):pointhead

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I like bias ply for production loading there a lot stiffer then radials and that really helps when you’re trying to load trucks FAST, however for all other purposes radials are better.

nedly05

Yeah, I like the radials, and its not a production machine cuz there is only two of us working. We road it quite a bit, so radials are nice for that, but the extra expense...not sure it's worth it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Yeah, I like the radials, and its not a production machine cuz there is only two of us working. We road it quite a bit, so radials are nice for that, but the extra expense...not sure it's worth it.

If you operate on soft ground there is only one option...Radials. In a quarry, as stated above, loading trucks then plys are the go....I found the 980 definetly is more stable in the front end when loading trucks with plys on but otherwise the Radials are worth every penny. Don't feel like you are getting fleeced because everybody is feeling the pinch when it comes to rubber (I mean tyres not rubbers you clowns:rolleyes: )

nedly05

.Don't feel like you are getting fleeced because everybody is feeling the pinch when it comes to rubber (I mean tyres not rubbers you clowns:rolleyes: )

ROTFLMAO :falldownlaugh

We definitly are in soft ground quite a bit. The radials are way better in the snow also (I know you wouldn't have any idea about that Squizz). We are very pleased with the radials, but I am not sure that Dad will want to spend the extra. From what I gather it's worth it!

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
the only tire i have experence with is michilian XHA tires. they last, and provide good traction in soft underfoot conditions.

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
Michelin XHA hands down, they will out perform all other radials, makes a big difference. Ive owned 6 cat 950's all with XHA's but one, the one with bridgestones handles poorly and bounces a lot. Never again anything else but michelin. Like said before, id rather have a worn out set of michelins.

rino1494

I know this is a old thread but your local tire dealer can put them on a x-ray machine and check them out. If they are good enough, they can patch them up and re-cap them.

We picked up a set of Michelin 23.5 x 25's for our artic. They were re-capped and virgin casings. Got them for a good price of $1,200 a piece. They told us that new ones go for $4,000.

Attachments

• 23.5 x 25.jpg
    23.5 x 25.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 825