• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland EC130 stopped swinging

Deereboy

I was working normally when it just stopped swinging.When you move the joystick you can hear the swing motor trying.I was wondering if anyone would think that the problem was with the swing break or is there more to it.I am contacting the dealer tomorrow but would like some ideas as everything was fine and then.....We always run Deere but found this unit used and the price was right .2001 modle EC130 with 6500hrs.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
yeah, on '01 Volvo EC130's the swing system is only good for 6490 hours....you got 10 free hours the way i see it,....the dealer really should have told you. jk

i dont know if it's common or not, but i am sure one of the ole timer's around here can point you in the right direction.

Pj

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
It could be anything from some failed seals (for your swing brake) to a electrical problem. Is your swing box over full with oil?? Is your swing housing (slewing gear) full of oil? Are you getting any pressure to your swing brake release line (remove line and install gauge on)

Deereboy

I checked, and there is a small plastic tank up higher than the swing.It connects with a small hose to the side of the swing box.This must be for lube, and it has overfilled and leaking oil down on the body.New Holland tech will be here this morning.I hope it isn't major as the work has finally picked up.Isn't that always the way.....Feast or Famon.:beatsme

Deereboy

After checking pressures,electronics(sensors) and controls,the Holland Tech guys pulled the swing motor to check it and found it turned good. They drained the gearbox and found that a large snap ring that hold the brake clutch pack in place had broke and a piece fell down and jammed the gear that the packs sit around. The case was washed out,a new snap ring put in and filled with new oil. After setting the motor braking a little more aggressifly it works great.I still must have oil getting by a seal or o-ring as the plastic lube is still over full, but that is something i can do this winter when plowing is the thing to do, not diggin'.;):canada

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Im not familiar with the new hollands setup, but your saying that there is a small tank that goes to the swing box (the gear reduction not the motor).( I dont think i have seen that yet on any case or kobelco excavators. all the ones i have seen have a dipstick going into the gearbox) Since that snap ring broke was your gear box was filled with hydraulic oil?? (including your tank leading to the gear box). Was your plastic tank drained when the gear box was drained? If so how fast is it overfilling?? (Im assuming that its suppose to be gear oil in the gear box)

Deereboy

It is just a small container simular to what holds brake fluid on a car with hydraulic oil in it.It hooks up by a hose from the bottom of the container that goes to the top of the reduction. The gear box is full of gearoil.From what i could see,the motor fits into a cavity where the swing brake is,seperate from the bottom reduction.The leak is on the bottom of the swing motor.When it leaks ,it must leak into this cavity and force oil upward into the container.The container seems to be just lube for the braking. As i look at this even i am confused. Any way, the tech said an o-ring or seal must be leaking a bit when the oil (hydraulic) gets thin (hot)on the motor, and goes into the brake area and pushes oil back up.I changed the gear oil because everything was apart and it seems right to do.Drained the container and added new hydraulic up to the full line.It can't be leaking much as i have worked it full days since and everything seems OK.If i get a chance i will take a picture that might explain better.I was working at the time the tech's were working on it and only seen the problem and then the solution, the rest was explanation came from them. These first modles were O&K clones,but are supposed to be simular to Kobelco.I will have to pay more attention next time.

Deereboy

I have a few pics to hopefully explain better.In the two pics you can see the container with the red cap on it mounted up under the grill.In the overhead pic, you can see the smaller rubber line the runs up by the tool box and attaches under the motor lines

Attachments

• 100_0567.jpg
    100_0567.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_0566.jpg
    100_0566.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 632
  • 100_0565.jpg
    100_0565.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 603