• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland drinking fuel!!!!!

Living@Faith

Hey Gentlemen , I've got an 01 New Holland ls180. I it's a really strong machine that I really like. Except for the fact it's fuel milage is killing my profit. On an average day I only get six hours of the 13 gallon tank. Has anyone else experienced this out of that particular machine? It is the Ford three cylinder turbo btw. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
What are you using the machine for? Drilling post holes for six hours?
That machine wasn't designed for economy.

Lil' Puss

How's your maintenance program? Changed air filters lately? How many hours on the machine, is it ready for injectors? Is the engine in time? Fuel clean?

Living@Faith

Thanks for the replies.. It has 850 hours. Just general use, digging craw spaces backfilling etc. My maintenance schedule is to a T.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
First off, the tank is 18 gallons and most of it is low on the gauge. How is the power output? Does it smoke much or excessively? It has a Lucas Delphi emissionized injection pump which I just took off of mine for an older style CAV as my timing advance had destroyed itself and wouldn't adjust advance or retard correctly. It smoked badly, had poor power, was getting hot, and I couldn't keep fuel in it. This is about the same engine as older Ford tractors which are run into the ground with few problems. I use mine for tree shear and cleanup grapple work and from experience, it will run much longer than 6 hours on a tank of fuel, even loaded. It is rated at 3 gallons per hour at full load. I will admit I let my air filter get a little bit too dirty but it hasn't affected its performance as the pump has.

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Living@Faith, I have a L190 with an 80hp normally aspirated engine. When I am working it hard as I was yesterday cleaning out a dry river bed, it will burn 2.5 gal/hr, very close to what the book says it is supposed to burn. When I am running it easy as I was today raking up brush, the fuel burn is more like 1.5 gal/hr.

At 2.1 gal/hr it doesn't sound to me like your fuel burn rate is too far off the mark. Maybe you just need to adjust your (monetary) rates to reflect a higher fuel burn rate than you expected.

Is this skid new to you or have you had it for a while? If you have had it a while has you fuel burn rate changed significantly recently?

Tim