• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Heavy Haul, Pete or KW?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Specs will be 605/2050, 22189 18 speed, 2 speed Aux Box, 52-190 rears in 4.56/double lockers on 52k Neway. 216" WB, 22K Steer, 25k steerable dual tired drop. Double frame & dual steering boxes.
Now here comes the question, do I put that into a short hood 389 Pete or a Steel Fendered C500?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
PAPE’ KW is easier to deal with than Western Peterbilt. I’d go with a C500.

I’ll mention this, Over the last year there has been a huge increase in Western Star sales in the heavy haul segment. The 4900\6900 has become very popular with the oil field in my AO. ConocoPhillips purchased at least 12 on them, recently.

There must be something to it. STR Alaska and Carlile have been buying new Western Star heavy haul rigs, too. The numbers must be working out.

The PACCAR order board has been 8-12 months out. It’s been quicker lead times for Western Star. Might be part of the equation. Take that for what it’s worth since I’ve been out of the truck buying game for six months.

BTW, I have great luck with MHC Kenworth in Des Moines. Yeah, they beat PAPE’ by $15K for a T370 and 20K for a T880 consistently. Plus, Kenworth Factory kicks in $3k for shipping to Alaska.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
C500 assuming the T800 wide hood is NLA. Hard to beat a setback axle for a heavy haul truck especially if you want to keep it short and need all the frame room you can get.

I had mostly T800W’s and never had an issue with cooling or anything else. We worked them hard off road and heavy when they were under the 13 axles. Mine were spec’d almost identical to what you’re after. It’s an excellent setup for a lowboy truck.

Oh and FWIW there isn’t much of a difference in how they pull whether you have a 600/2050 or something in the 400’s with 1850 tq. Makes a difference in price.

I always did a 2050 or 2250 trans and clutch regardless off what motor was in front of it. Air assist clutch and a trans filter as well. Don’t even think about a solo clutch in it. I doubt they’d put on in a spec like that but keep your eye on that. We have a new Mack that got to us with one and within 40k miles I had it changed to an easy pedal.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The Western stars are getting very popular because they have so much more cab Room and they are available with the DD16 which a lot of guys like. Build times are definitely quicker and They are good for bigger drivers. The Western star dealer here is horrible for service.

Old Doug

They bought their first new truck were i work in 2017. Its a Peterbilt its been a lemon. They got it because it was the lightest. They keep over 20 second hand trucks were i work one was in a wreck years ago and had to be towed the 2017 pete has been towed numerous times. The driver is getting close to were he can retire this truck has helped on making his mind up on how soon he will. He told me if he wasnt going to retire theres no way he would ever drive a new truck. I never drove a yugo but i think this pete has the same seats. I have done alot of work to it even though its steal under warrenty because of the time and trouble of getting it back to the dealer. Maybe all new petes are not like this one but its made a lasting impression on me.