• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New HE Owner - 1991 CAT 963 21Z

rokatx

This is my first day with that 963 and also my first day on HEF, and I already found some really useful stuff. Thank you to everyone who's active on here and is answering questions and is helping out.
I did purchase new arm rest pads since the old ones are in bad shape and I found a thread here which talked about how to replace those.

But my next fix will have to be the AC and Heater. I couldn't get neither to operate.
Any pointers for what the best course of action is to troubleshoot that would be appreciated.

The machine is close to 18k hours on it, had a engine replacement in 2021. It has some rust, but not terrible. It did spend some time in Canada it looks like, and Pennsylvania as well. I'm guessing that's where that rust is coming from.
It's now located in Central Texas.

When moving, the tracks are very squeaky and I've been told that this could be an indication of dried-up pins.
Rollers, trackpads/grousers look like they are in good shape, sprockets probably could be replaced in a few hundred hours.

I will use this machine on my ranch place for clearing out trees and digging out a pond. I doubt I will put 1000 hours on it and would think that after my work is done, I would sell it again.

Thank you in advance - I'm sure I will be a source of further posts down the road.

Attachments

• PXL_20231128_231609020.jpg
    PXL_20231128_231609020.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20231128_231658056.jpg
    PXL_20231128_231658056.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20231128_231954140.jpg
    PXL_20231128_231954140.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20231128_173639599.jpg
    PXL_20231128_173639599.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15

Robert Boggs

Welcome to the forum, it’s certainly a great tool in the arsenal. Good luck with your projects!

For the HVAC system it sounds like you need to start with the blower motor. Does it run at any speed? Voltage/current present if not?

Welder Dave

Check for power. If none check fuses. If everything looks OK follow the wires looking for damage or bad grounds.

rokatx

thank you all - did not notice any function whatsoever of the HVAC. This already helps a bit and I will start on the troubleshooting trail. Not thrilled that all the labeling is in French.

Thank you Nige - I already purchased the manuals based on some posts I found in here. Didn't know there was a parts manual though. Will look into that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I already purchased the manuals based on some posts I found in here.
It's important to base searches for manuals on the exact machine Serial Number.

As there can be breaks in machine production a manual that suits one particular S/N may not suit another S/N (of the same prefix, 21Z in your case) simply because they are on opposite sides of said S/N break. I was looking at a backhoe loader yesterday and discovered 3 different manuals based on that exact thing.
Not thrilled that all the labeling is in French.
Not surprising. It's a French-built machine. Your one was probably built originally for a domestic sale then found itself exported later.

English versions of any label/decal/plate containing text (not pictograph symbols because they are universal) ought to be available. If you look at the bottom RH corner of any particular one you should find a Part Number. That number ought to be sufficient to track down an English-language equivalent of the same decal.