• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"New" haul truck design has 600 ton potential

JDOFMEMI

I came accross this truck design currently being developed in South America.

The current prototype appears to be 365 ton, but when scaled up and paired with the current large trucks, it has potential for 600 or even 700 ton loads, according to what I could read of the spanish in the article.

http://www.mch.cl/revistas/index_neo.php?id=1073

I recall similar units to these being used with 100 ton trucks to get 150 to 180 ton loads, but with the larger trucks becomming common, they seem to have fallen out of use. Maybe they have some potential left to raise the bar in the Ultra Hauler class.

Attachments

• 342_vlt1.jpg
    342_vlt1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 13,259

heavylift

looks like he's pulling a boat.

but a big truck(600+) will only haul more ,if it has something to load it quickly.
I like to see the shovel that will load it in 3 passes :)

ScottAR

Everything old is new again... Western (?) mining co. put trailers on Euclid trucks way back when. I can't find a good pic of it for some reason.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Didn't KW-Dart make haul trucks with trailers used in the open pit mines ?

Last edited:

casecx700

well this is the artical translated to english

One of the main obstacles experienced by the gigantism of mining trucks in its development is that the various components that accompany it can grow the same way. A truckload of magnitudes higher than at present, as the Liebherr T282 or Komatsu 960E-1, it also implies larger structures, technologies to move this mass of a cost-effective manner. Engines, structures, steel and tires are subjected to pressures that can not always be overcome.

In this regard is that articulated trucks VLT (Very Light / Large Truck) could come to address this dynamic, since the use of components which are known in the market today, we can almost double the current capacity and can reach even the 600 tons of which much has been said in the industry, and even more.

The realization of such equipment is not far. In fact there is already a prototype of these conditions, but in a lesser capacity. The VLT-365, with 365 ton capacity, has operated at Codelco Norte, where in October 2008 passed all protocols approved by the state mining.

Explains the executive director of SEC Engineering, Sergio Elgueta, operator of the computer, it uses a truck Komatsu 685 (which has a nominal capacity 170 MT) adapted to a semitrailer configuration, which adds a second module power, that feeds a second axis of propulsion, which is capable of carrying 330 MT. "This is a design that aims to reduce transport costs in the severe operating conditions of large sites, with distances of up to 13 kilometers, of which between 50% to 70% are ramps up to 12% of total outstanding" he says.

The concept, developed and manufactured in Chile by a consortium of Engineering where he participated SEC, is the use of multiple power plants and propulsion shafts articulated configuration, and has been patented in Chile.

According to the professional, looking for trucks VLT validate the concept of the new configuration used to reduce transport costs, which could reach up to 25%, he said. It also highlights the use of components already tested and known to the industry, which are of known quality and performance.

Vehicle design achieves good value versus payload weight and improved strength versus weight ratio. "The weight / payload speaks of good design while the power to weight ratio of good performance and productivity", she said. This factor allows the VLT has speed on a slope, and loaded, 30% higher than a conventional model. This increased speed on slopes in long profiles represent a higher productivity, but also represents a lower torque and less power at the mechanical and electric drive motors, hence less wear and maintenance costs of the propulsion system . In fact, according Elgueta, have savings of 34% in terms of the costs of torque and 25% by deterioration of electrical insulation.

With respect to the wheels of the VLT, they are equipped with 57-inch tires, which according to the engineer, besides being cheaper, offer better performance and longer life specific to the 63 inches.

Complements this initial advantage, a better distribution and less dynamic load transfer during operation thanks to the team's third line has no suspension, in addition to that, thanks to its dimensions, the vehicle has greater stability. As detailed Elgueta, a truck than 300 TM has a center of gravity usually about 6.8 meters, suspended between two shafts at a distance of 6,351 mm apart, while the VLT - 365 has its center of gravity to 5.8 meters above the ground and suspended between two points at a distance of 10,470 mm apart. This means less heat generated during operation by increasing tire life. Similarly, it is worth mentioning that the static load of a tire of a team of 300 tons is 100% capacity, while the VLT-365 is only 96%.

Fuel consumption is also achieved an advantage resulting from the use of two motors can stop the second on the return journey without charge.

Finally, Elgueta explains that the maneuverability of trucks VLT can be a bit more complex and take more time fixed, but is emphatic in saying that these are not relevant in the long profiles, where a cycle takes up to seventy minutes. The final line shows a lower transportation cost per ton-kilometer, less provision of equipment and operators. "If this concept applies in the profiles of the great Chilean deposits and its benefit, the door is open for trucks making up to 700 tonnes in Chile", ends the professional.

Objective and collaborators

Sergio Elgueta, who holds the patent on this development, stresses that the main objectives pursued with the construction of the VLT-365 are: the use of existing trucks and proven components, availability of tires, increased power to weight ratio, a steeper slopes greater efficiency in work, increased capacity and productivity per cycle, reduction of fleet size and lower cost of transport.

The engineer noted that the development of this prototype would not have been possible "without the close cooperation and fundamental contribution of companies and individuals involved in this process pioneered in Chile presented serious challenges both technical and materials, which were known to resolve with great success. " Among the companies named by the executive are: Vector Engineering, Conymet / Duratray, Sorena, MFD and Lausanne - terein in Chile, GSI and Rimpull Hyco Canada and the United States, among other professionals, who contributed with time and experience.
Listen
Read phonetically
Dictionary - View detailed dictionary

alco

I can see this setup working well in the right conditions. I would imagine they would be best used in an operation where they could work by themselves, instead of being mixed in with other trucks in standard configurations. They will most likely need a bit of a different pit and haulroad setup to cope with the larger size, but that should be no big deal.

Now, can you imagine how productive these would be hauling large loads out of deeper pits with trolley assist to give them a boost up the hills?

JDOFMEMI

Well, I learned something new when I researched this. If you find a web page in a foreign language, copy the url, go to Google and type "translate" The first choice will go to 'Google Translator". You can paste the url, and Google will translate the page, and the links will be active, automatically translating the pages you select from the first one.
What used to be hours of tedious research now done simple, fast, and best of all, FREE

On the truck, I see it becomming popular for longer hauls. Not so much for the short ones, due to the less effecient mobility at the load and dump sites, but for a long haul, 3 or 4 of these could replace 6 or 8 regular trucks. The production would still be what the shovel could load, if the trucks were matched to the cycle time. So it takes 6 passes instead of 3, it is half the drivers, less fuel, tires, maintenance, Etc. to get the same tonnage.

If they prove reliable, they will catch on. One of my questions would be how sturdy the dump cylinders are, as well as the mounting points. They better have a very stout bushing arrangement.
At least with the single axle truck and single axle trailer, the tire scrubbing will not be any more of an issue than it is for the current trucks.

Besides, if they catch on, there will grow a bigger class of shovel to load them even faster.

ScottAR

Ok, got off my lazy butt and dug out the ref materials... Western Contracting built the truck out of a Euclid 1LLD truck (50 tonner) and the trailer unit boosted capacity to 150 tons.
Original power was two cummins rated at 750hp combined pics 1 and 3 with one exhaust stack. Later on truck was repowered with two 12v71s rated at 850hp combined. pic 2 with 4 stacks.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Unit Rig ran a fleet of trolley assist trucks in South Africa in the 60's they had problems with the current load causing the trolley line to get very hot and really sag.

953 428 12

I worked for western contracting in the mid 60's. we had a fleet of the Euclid 1LL trucks. as i recall they had twin detroit engines. My foreman drove the 150 ton on a dam job up in Minn. or N.Dakota. about 1950. Nothing was to new or to large for Western. A great company to work for.

alco

pretty cool looking trucks... Just curious... Are these just concepts or do they have actual trucks running

They are supposed to have a 240 ton prototype shipping next month. Not sure where they are shipping it to for testing though.

It's a neat concept, but I can't help but wonder how hard it will be to efficiently load a box that's as long as they propose. I also wonder about the long spread of axles when the going gets rough. I would think it would put a lot of strain on any one axle as it goes over a rise in rough going.

piedie

at the moment they are only concepts....but probibly in the future.
There are certain advantages in this concept

621_Rocker

Attachments

• 1044226953_575f4d4371 - East German.jpg
    1044226953_575f4d4371 - East German.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,159
Last edited:

Dayton3

In regards to the proposed trucks from the opening post, it seems like this would be better suited for extremely large volume loads like coal as opposed to denser material.

Doesn't loads of coal have a tendency to "bulk out" before they reach max weight?