• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New excavator prices

chrisbowles

I just purchased today a komatsu 170 (use to be a 160) for 180k. That inludes a hydraulic soblely thumb for 13k, a 5 year 4k hr bumber to bumper everything warranty and 3 year komatsu care ( all fluids and filters and them coming to me to do the service work). Fianced it for 48 months for 0 apr.With 42" bucket. Since I will have all the plumbing in place I priced a fecon mulching head. They quoted me 39k. Sounded a little high to me.

chrisbowles

All that pales into insignificance when you start buying big trucks by the dozen at $3 million a pop........

How exactly does that comment contribute anything to the topic? How many dozen 3 million dollar truck deals have you closed lately?

1026phr

Occupation
Manufacturing
Getting quotes on JD 135G with hydraulic thumb, dig bucket, finish bucket, mechanical coupler
in $185,000 to $195,000 region. Does that sound reasonable or is it high? Any informed opinions welcome.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
How exactly does that comment contribute anything to the topic? How many dozen 3 million dollar truck deals have you closed lately?

you had better look to see who your calling out. If you notice that why Nige always posts part #'s for any cat equipment they give him the password with those dozen trucks.

clintm

Occupation
Nige do you get the 2nd dozen for half price like the donut store or just a bakers dozen:)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The only way a small operator, like me, can make it in this business is having some paid for machines working along side machines with a payment. Theory being is the paid for machines make up the difference in the machine with a note. Good business decisions follow that the paid for machines will make a profit during their useful life in order to renew your fleet with newer equipment that has a note. The balance between work, A/R and making equipment notes is both science and art.;)

Being a small excavation contractor is tough, ya' gotta be crazy to be in this business but crazy makes life interesting.:D

clintm

Occupation
some of the old timers my speak up but what i've always heard and tried to operate by is if you don't have at least half your fleet paid for you going broke fast. it seems like every time I have gotten every thing paid for something's wore out and have to replace it and start the crazy all over again. Like I always say we are to dumb to do any thing else.

Shimmy1

That is a pretty bold statement coming from a guy with 24 posts. I'm thinking that everyone will let this one slide, but be careful who you make smartass comments to. Nige probably has more years holding down a comfy chair than you are old.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
some of the old timers my speak up but what i've always heard and tried to operate by is if you don't have at least half your fleet paid for you going broke fast.

I prefer a more generous 75-25% spread of paid for to machines with notes. Those old timers know how to make money,;)

Ozz

The only way a small operator, like me, can make it in this business is having some paid for machines working along side machines with a payment. Theory being is the paid for machines make up the difference in the machine with a note. Good business decisions follow that the paid for machines will make a profit during their useful life in order to renew your fleet with newer equipment that has a note. The balance between work, A/R and making equipment notes is both science and art.;)

Being a small excavation contractor is tough, ya' gotta be crazy to be in this business but crazy makes life interesting.:D

I lease all my big equipment for roughly nine months of the year and then shut down in the winter. It doesn't make sense to have $3,000,000 in equipment sitting idle and making payments when I legitimately can't work. I think leasing is the way to go.

I tend to work hardcore in a seasonal rotation, where I work Spring, Summer and until roads freeze and become dangerous in the winter.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I lease all my big equipment for roughly nine months of the year and then shut down in the winter. It doesn't make sense to have $3,000,000 in equipment sitting idle and making payments when I legitimately can't work. I think leasing is the way to go.

I tend to work hardcore in a seasonal rotation, where I work Spring, Summer and until roads freeze and become dangerous in the winter.

I hear ya. Leasing can be a nice tool to fill a need for iron and makes sense in your situation..

Luckily we don't have icy winters, just wet, so we slog through it. Everyone wants to start their projects at the end or the first of the year. Back when the weather was nice and dry a few months ago, projects were on hold. Now the rainy season sets in and I have a fast food and an auto parts site going at the same time.:rolleyes:

Landclearer

I hear ya. Leasing can be a nice tool to fill a need for iron and makes sense in your situation..

Luckily we don't have icy winters, just wet, so we slog through it. Everyone wants to start their projects at the end or the first of the year. Back when the weather was nice and dry a few months ago, projects were on hold. Now the rainy season sets in and I have a fast food and an auto parts site going at the same time.:rolleyes:

Same here, no ice but plenty of wet. For some reason nobody will start a wet site during the dry weather, they have to wait until you have 3 inches of rain then want to start the next day.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
You used to be able to just add 3 zeros to the end of the machine prefix and come pretty close to the price, now its like add 3 zeros + $30,000 extra :eek:

This is why Cat is more expensive.....(that was sarcasm)

JD 160 = $160,000
Cat 315= $315,000

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
alaskaforby4 are you sure of that price for a CAT 315 - $315,000.00??? or did your fingers hit the wrong keys on the keypad?

Shimmy1

You used to be able to just add 3 zeros to the end of the machine prefix and come pretty close to the price, now its like add 3 zeros + $30,000 extra :eek:

JD 160 = $160,000
Cat 315= $315,000

I suppose you get the $30,000 premium up north, but my 210 last winter was pretty reasonable, $190,000 with coupler.

1026phr

Occupation
Manufacturing

JD 160 = $160,000
Cat 315= $315,000

Not sure where you can get a JD 160 in the Northeast for $160k.
Also # on Cat 315 looks high.....

Have been pricing Cat 312/314 and JD 135.

Cat 312 in $160,000 range.
Cat 314 in $170,000 to $180,000 range.

JD 135s in $180,000-$190,000 range.

Have not seen any new JD 160s in $160,000 range.

1026phr

Occupation
Manufacturing
I have officially lost faith in humanity.........:pointhead

Your loss of faith is well justified.... I suppose that I should have read the entire post.... This reading thing is new to me... back to first grade phonics....

But, my reading skills aside... still trying to get some calibration on pricing if any one has any....