• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Dozer for my Birthday

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
Cherry. Even the paint job looks pretty good.
I've got a '46 HD7 and it's a beast. I use it for clearing land for food plots...you know a nutjob deer hunter.
I do have an issue...a pin on my track has cut loose and I need to line up the holes of the track to drive it back through. Once this is achieved, I need to spot weld the outside of the pin. I'm strugging with getting the holes to line up. I wratcheted the plates towards each other, but I'm flexing the track.
Anybody on this thread have any insight? I'm trying to avoind driving off of the track to fix this.

try running that part on to the sprocket to help you line it up. Thats what you have to do when putting a track back together any time that you've had the master pin out and you may want to put more than just a spot weld on it:)

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
We usually put a decent size block of wood between a grouser and the ground and drive the machine against it to hold it up against the sprocket or idler so that one end of the chain is half way round either one, then pull the slack end down to it. You need to make sure the track adjustment has been slackend off enough to give you enough slack. Cheers RDG

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
we usually put a decent size block of wood between a grouser and the ground and drive the machine against it to hold it up against the sprocket or idler so that one end of the chain is half way round either one, then pull the slack end down to it. You need to make sure the track adjustment has been slackend off enough to give you enough slack. Cheers rdg

10-4

FreedomMan

Thanks guys.
I will try the track adjustment to give me some slack. Somehow I don't think that it's been turned since Eisenhower was in office.
My buddy's father used to work on tanks and they had a dual threaded clamp that they would wrench together to force the links to line up....I'd have to make this, but I think it may be the ticket.
Thoughts?

skidsteer.ca

Occupation
Contractor
The Detroits were well known for blubbering and wet stacking when idled too long. They want to be under load and screaming to be happy.

Make sure your thermostat is keeping temps up too. DD hate to be cold, the slobering will stop when she goes to work and likely the smoke will ease up to.
Ken

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
Thanks guys.
I will try the track adjustment to give me some slack. Somehow I don't think that it's been turned since Eisenhower was in office.
My buddy's father used to work on tanks and they had a dual threaded clamp that they would wrench together to force the links to line up....I'd have to make this, but I think it may be the ticket.
Thoughts?

You can do what ever you want, but I gaurantee any reputable cat shop will put the track together by using the above mentioned strategy of meeting the 2 ends together over the sprocket

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Update,
Got my neighbor to make a pin. Only broke one towing chain pulling the track together, but its done.
Now on to the hand clutch. Well, both bushings that clutch shaft rides on/in are shot, easy fix. Now, I see that one of the three compression springs is laying in the bottom of the case with its nut. Must have come undone some time ago as it was stuck to the bottom by grease. Would that be why the detent for over center was not very noticeable? Let me know what you think.
The biggest problem is that the clutch brake lining is completely gone. No wonder why the cut the floor plate so they had more travel for the brake. Anyway, anyone know who can reline it. I sent an e-mail to a on-line advertised company for relining, we'll see.

Anywhere, thats where I am at currently..

cb1

Occupation
retired military
It seems my neighbor can make the lining also. Might actually push some dirt in little while..

cb1

Occupation
retired military
OK, update, its been awhile. 2 of my brothers and another 2 relatives were over and wanted to see the old girl push dirt. So I told them I had about a hour of work to do to her before we could see what she would do. They agreed to help and we changed the fuel, oil, all of the filters, put 2 track pads on and finished the master clutch assembly and left hand clutch and brake assemblies. Took about an hour and a half.

Fired her up and went over to my brothers and cut a fire road into his property for about a quarter mile with about three corners otherwise straight lines. I ran the master clutch, shifter, throttle and left hand steering clutch/brake. Mike ran the hydraulics for the blade and the right hand steering clutch/brake. The seat is about 4 feet wide so two adults can sit comfortably beside each other.

What a blast, hydraulics are slow, so you have to pre-plan all of your blade movements by about 15 seconds. Plenty of power, it will bury it self if you put it up against a big tree. 3rd gear high range is ridiculously fast, especially with 2 people steering.

Will be clearing up a couple of acres before winter and then I will be selling her. If I don't get enough money for her, I will be pulling the 4-71 for a future project and scrapping the rest. I can not believe the motor runs so sweet. And with the new fuel, she doesn't smoke as much as she did with the 20 year old fuel....

In the next couple weeks, I will have my daughter make a short video of the old girl at work.

hardtail

Can't wait to hear the screaming vid........a buddy has 2 HD10's, I always liked them......sorry to hear about the sale......try to let her go and not cut it up, the AC stuff is getting scarce and that one looks in great shape............:rolleyes:

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Man nice dozer, I'd love to have something like that! If you were not so far on the wrong side of the border I'd talk to you about it...LOL! BTW you guys can have Farve back...ROFL....and the Vikes thought he was the solutions to all thier problems!

Rick

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Tightened the right side track today and took her behind the house today and moved some dirt. I am very impressed with the power it has. You can not stop the tracks from turning. Would make an impressive farm tractor, which I believe they were originally designed for.

The hydraulics are primitive and under powered and very slow. I imagine the pump and some of the seals are weak. No leaks though. Not operator friendly. I imagine it could be re-engineered to work better.

Rick-I have been a Vikings fan since I knew what football was. By the looks of todays games (MN and GB) we didn't do to bad.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
LOL thats true but I think if the Vikes want to go to the Super Bowl they better order thier tickets now.....I got interested in football and girls at the same time and the only team that had good cheerleaders, Cowboys..............Been a fan sense then!

Rick (social outcast cause I'm in Vikes country and like the Cowboys)

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
yes, lubrication maintenance before it's moved.....or as soon as possible after you have it moved it vital as the most wear will occurr at this time.
when you de-clutch don't shift till machine is stopped and yes, pushing on the clutch lever after dis-engaing xmission may move a brake shoe against the clutch plate to slow the shaft like on cat.

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Just had a guy over that has a small (one man) excavating business. He may take in trade for finishing up my project. He is going to let me know Monday of next week.

I have many piles of stumps and some concrete from an old foundation that need to be taken away, plus another acre to be stumped. He has the trucks and newer equipment and the project would get done allot quicker that what I can do. I'm just running out of time.

He drove it today and was somewhat impressed. If he doesn't want it, I will let you know. He will give me a price for the work then and that may dictate whether the sale or not....