• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New D6T

D5G

Part of the problem is the wide track. Thats why the Komatsu will out push it.
If that is the kinda ground you work in, and the size jobs you do. You should have got a larger Komatsu instead of that D6.

Ah, no, I don't think so. When you put out that much money for a machine, your gonna know what you need and what you want IMHO.

dieseldave

Can we get dozer schmuck banned finally?? PLease??

No, no, I don't want to be banned! LOL

Seriously, a D6 or D65 or 850 Deere is the biggest machine that is effective in the spoils. The Corps tried D7's years ago- didn't work out.

The dirt goes into a "spoils removal area". The one we're working in now is about a mile across, the excavator in the first picture is about halfway across from where I am on the outside. THe second pic is taken from the other side of the site, the three towers in the upper left are all inside the area. There are 6 or 7 of these "areas" along the river, some smaller, some bigger.

Attachments

• ft mott 2.jpg
    ft mott 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 831

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
second pic didn't load because I posted it elsewhere on the BB-

You could try changing the title of it, and see if the software is smart enough to recognize it, or you could post a link to where it is. (If you click on the post #, that single post will open in a new window, and you can link to that.)

dieseldave

Welcome to Delaware

"Welcome to Delaware" is what the sign used to say before the hoodlums got to it. The dividing line between Jersey and Delaware was the middle of the river, and this is where the middle of the river was back in the day. The second pic (taken from the same spot) shows where it is now.

PonyExpress94

No, no, I don't want to be banned! LOL

Seriously, a D6 or D65 or 850 Deere is the biggest machine that is effective in the spoils. The Corps tried D7's years ago- didn't work out.

The dirt goes into a "spoils removal area". The one we're working in now is about a mile across, the excavator in the first picture is about halfway across from where I am on the outside. THe second pic is taken from the other side of the site, the three towers in the upper left are all inside the area. There are 6 or 7 of these "areas" along the river, some smaller, some bigger.

Hey dieseldave, is this picture by chance in the area of Marcus Hook on the PA side or near Salem Nuclear Power Plant on the Jersey side? The reason I ask is because my primary line of work is as an engineer on a 4200 horsepower tugboat and my company has their main dock on the Schuylkill River and I sail all the way down the Delaware River to head out to the ocean and go up the coast to New York. Just wondering so I can look out for you and watch the work as I go by. That is a beautiful looking D6 by the way, you're a lucky man to run a brand new machine like that.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
nice machines :thumbsup good to hear people buying new machines and working them.

dieseldave

Hey dieseldave, is this picture by chance in the area of Marcus Hook on the PA side or near Salem Nuclear Power Plant on the Jersey side? The reason I ask is because my primary line of work is as an engineer on a 4200 horsepower tugboat and my company has their main dock on the Schuylkill River and I sail all the way down the Delaware River to head out to the ocean and go up the coast to New York. Just wondering so I can look out for you and watch the work as I go by. That is a beautiful looking D6 by the way, you're a lucky man to run a brand new machine like that.

It's on the Jersey side, right behind Ft Mott. What color is your tug, so I'll know to wave when you go by?:waving What kind of engines? I'm assuming 2 at 2100hp apiece? The last tug we worked with (he was moving barges for us at Ft Miflin) had a pair of 2000hp MTU's if I remember right. Very true regarding the new machine, it's a real treat to run something that no one has screwed up yet. A few years ago, again at a job at Ft Mott I lucked into a brand new JD 850C. That was a real sweetheart.

Attachments

• new 850 1.jpg
    new 850 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 485

PonyExpress94

It's on the Jersey side, right behind Ft Mott. What color is your tug, so I'll know to wave when you go by?:waving What kind of engines? I'm assuming 2 at 2100hp apiece? The last tug we worked with (he was moving barges for us at Ft Miflin) had a pair of 2000hp MTU's if I remember right. Very true regarding the new machine, it's a real treat to run something that no one has screwed up yet. A few years ago, again at a job at Ft Mott I lucked into a brand new JD 850C. That was a real sweetheart.

Dave,

Fort Mott is across from Delaware City right? We got to Del City to load the barge quite often. Yeah the boat is running twin Cat 3516B's (V-16's detuned to 2100 hp each) and the boat is white with a green stripe and a big blue "V" on the exhaust stacks. My boat is the "Potomac" and she runs with a 50,000 barrel (yes, barrels which =2,100,000 gallons) full of diesel fuel. The boat was delivered in September of 07 and the main engines already have 6,500 hours on them.:eek:

You seem to have a knack for getting new equipment as the 850 is pretty sweet too. Have fun with 'em and see you on the banks of the Delaware River!!!!

By the way I love the quote in your signature, that is one of my all time favorite movies.

Patrick

Last edited:

Rookie

D6T - Production?

I was thinking of using a D6T dozer to strip 16 acres of land. The top soil is about 6-9 inches in depth and the cut and fill quantity is about 20,000 tonnes. Does anybody have ANY idea how long this would take using one D6T dozer? I NEED HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I was thinking of using a D6T dozer to strip 16 acres of land. The top soil is about 6-9 inches in depth and the cut and fill quantity is about 20,000 tonnes. Does anybody have ANY idea how long this would take using one D6T dozer? I NEED HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance

Sorry not an answer, :D More questions!

Has the topsoil got to go only one way or can it go to all four sides, is the area square ( probably not) what is the average distance you are going to move the topsoil? Has it all got to be stripped before you fill? Is topsoil to go back on after ?

Before you answer I forsee a lot of wear and diesel being drunk :)

Why the D6T ? :drinkup

Rookie

AtlasRob,

Thanks for the response. The soil will go to all four sides to create a birm (and we will not respread it afterwards). The average distance we are moving the soil is 100 metres. Yes, all of the soil has to be stripped before we start the cut and fill process.

No real reason for using the D6T (I don't have a lot of experience with dozers and assumed this was the minimum size for this size of a project). Any other suggestions?

Thanks

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
AtlasRob,

Thanks for the response. The soil will go to all four sides to create a birm (and we will not respread it afterwards). The average distance we are moving the soil is 100 metres. Yes, all of the soil has to be stripped before we start the cut and fill process.

No real reason for using the D6T (I don't have a lot of experience with dozers and assumed this was the minimum size for this size of a project). Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I have a question too, lol. Do you have a time line to get it done by? 100 metres is probably pushing it (sorry, no pun intended) on your push distance for a D6, but as long as time isn't too much of an issue I don't think it would be too hard on the dozer. Is there any heavy ripping/rock on the job? Just how deep is the cuts/fills?

Rookie

We would like to complete it within 2 months....do you think it would be more cost effective to go with something larger? The cut and fills vary but I would guess maximum they are 3 to 5 feet. No rock ripping on site.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
2 months to strip 16 acres and push 20,000 tonnes (not sure how much that translates too in yards)... I don't see it being too much for a 6 to handle. If you get there and it looks like it's getting a little much, maybe a second 6 would help. Two D6's would let you split up the work between stripping and cut/fill work...

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
diseldave, ever been around waste management site tullytown,pa.? worked there a few times 03-05 for national earth services outta lancaster,pa. loadin dredge outta what they called money island, right on the river. panhandler bob

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm

Thanks in advance

i has answered this question in another thread youve made "D6T production help"

dieseldave

diseldave, ever been around waste management site tullytown,pa.? worked there a few times 03-05 for national earth services outta lancaster,pa. loadin dredge outta what they called money island, right on the river. panhandler bob

Bob, I was never to Tullytown but I've heard the corps guys talk about it. I've worked at Ft Mott, Pedricktown (north and south), Ft Miflin, and 12th st in Delaware. Was there anyone from the corps working there with you?