• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new contractor

catwelder

Occupation
welder
so a few months ago I thought about buying a excavator went looked at all these places went online. Well I dint buy one I however did buy a Kubota tractor for less then what my budget for a excavator was so I put that money in the bank. When the Kubota dealer delivered the tractor they had a problem with my drive way there is a tight turn and if not careful your going into the ditch. I decided to use the extra money I saved and get a contractor out and expand the turn just the turn which would meaning adding a culvert pipe and filling over it. I don't think there was a lot to it but I called maybe 6 contractors all local 5 out of 6 gave me about the same price which I was close to figuring it would cost that much but the 6th was a fairly new company I think maybe 1 or 2 year old company. The quote I was given by that company was about twice what any of the other contractors was. I'm just wondering if you read all that is that the reason for that quote would be lack of experience or just trying to have me pay for that new truck they had or something because I was just lost with that. I know I don't know what it takes to run a company but I just don't feel like that was a reasonable quote. I still had the project done only took the company I went with a day to do it.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
They must be very busy, and only want/need the job if it's really profitable for them.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I'll take "didn't want the job for $500", Alex.

Never did that when I was working steady....if it was outside my capacity or I couldn't meet the timeframe, told them up front, no bs'ing. Guess thats how I was raised.

Ed

DIYDAVE

Different contractors have different overhead costs. Maybe he was coming a long way, maybe something else...:beatsme:beatsme

catwelder

Occupation
welder

Never did that when I was working steady....if it was outside my capacity or I couldn't meet the timeframe, told them up front, no bs'ing. Guess thats how I was raised.

Ed

That would of been nicer then them actually coming down looking and acting like they would do the job for a reasonable price

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer

Ed
Yup, the contractor that bid way too high will never be given another opportunity by the O.P. eh ?

Why should he ?

If you don't want the job, just say so, nicely, and why.