• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New CAT D10 and D11 track systems to be released?

Readie

Hi Nige,

Why are they changing the design? more reliability, capture the market? How are they changing the design? How will this effect the aftermarket industry?

Cheers

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
They aren't changing the design per se, apart from going to the one-tooth master link that was done a couple of years ago (for reliability reasons) and discussed here on HEF, they are coming out with more offerings as regards track links for the high-hour end of the market. For machines that work 24/7/365 a new link will be available. The new link has more "meat" on it in the wear areas and is hardened deeper to give more wear material before link groups need to be replaced due to wear. I'm sure it will be more expensive to buy but most likely have reduced cost/hr. I wouldn't have thought that would affect the aftermarket industry much because they usually don't get a look in with the type of corporate operators that run these machines, those guys are already on OEM undercarriage for the most part and those that aren't really should be......

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Thanks Nige I too wondered what the "new system" carry on was all about.

It is interesting Cat have gone back to a single tooth master . . . the first bolt togethers masters I ever saw were an early version of the single tooth design.

I have mentioned on here before we used to go (I think) to around 120% of new dimensions in the days of submerged arc reclamation of worn links . . . it was cost effective our relatively high speed forward only application.

On some of the D8's it was necessary to fit an extra link which was dropped out later when the idler jacked out.

Cheers.