• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NEW CAT Compact Track Loader

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Whats the difference between the TL120, TL130, TL140, TL150 and the newer TL220, TL230, TL240, TL250? I checked out the site and it doesn't have any info on the differences between the models.

chewy007

Occupation
Construction PM
My Tak dealer told me they changed the numbers on the machines because all machines received updates (biggest to meet tier 3) the TL250 took the place of the TL150, which now has a Kubota engine instead of the Yanmar which had more torque, but argues that the new models have new updated hydraulics that are more powerful so you wouldn't notice the loss in torque.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I will let you know after Thursday, Cat is supposed to drop off a 299c have had a Tak tl250 for several days and was amazed at the power and the productivity of the machine

When you get the machine, be sure to ask if it has AMICS and how to get the most productive mode within AMICS. I think default on the AMICS is slow hydraulic speed and slow hydraulic response, so you may feel that it's really sluggish. Cranking up the sensitivity on that system may help.

chewy007

Occupation
Construction PM
Tigerotor, first off let me tell you that I love technology have an iphone with all apple computer for my business and what not, but what ever happened to skill? I mean we are in the car wash business and have always purchased lower tech machines that have a proven track record until last year we bought something brand new for our touchless automatic bays the seemed great on the show floor, they were very expensive also, long story short the have been a nightmare.... and still are... when Cat tells me about all the **** they have on there machine I think twice and the Tak looks pretty dam bullet proof.. just my thoughts

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Tigerotor, first off let me tell you that I love technology have an iphone with all apple computer for my business and what not, but what ever happened to skill?

Not something I know how to answer, unfortunately... I certainly know that I don't have any operating skills. I can make a SSL move, but to make it an extension of my arm like you guys and gals can do... um, no. For that reason, I'd take a pilot-controlled or EH machine any day. With pilots, I don't need to think about my hands and feet independently -- one joystick is movement, the other is loader -- and with EH, I can make the machine unresponsive if I'm a novice.

Of course, I'm not the typical SSL buyer; I'm just saying that for someone just getting into operating, Cat really takes the mind off the machine.

charp environme

i hear you guys.the cat machine 297c is fine for all applications except forestry.i made the mistake of buying one for mulching.fire is a constant worry even when its not running having had a fire after work had stopped.warranty is no good.fuel tank is mounted under and around engine and is plastic costs 3500.00 and 5 weeks in shop. this was only the begining of my problems.mulcher head is treated same as machine you bought it you own it.currently pursing legal action.the machine is 5 months old and has been down10 weeks.my problem is mostly dealer issue.forestry package will not protect machine.currently in shop awaiting the outcome of legal action

Hi all, new to forum, just got myself a new cat 279C & 304ccr. Might be a stupid question - how do you know whether you have amics in the skid steer. I was supposed to get it but not sure what to look for. Guess I could ask the dealer but being impatient if I can get an answer tonight even better.

Thanbks, Richard.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums BuffaloEarthwks!:drinkup

how do you know whether you have amics in the skid steer

I am not familiar with the new Cat machines but here is a link to Cat's site, download the PDF of the brochure if you do not have one. It has a pic of the inside of the cab. http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=308413&x=7

Hope this helps.

Yep, mine looks exactly as in pdf.

I guess that is the amics system on the top right side.

Has an up/down arrow button that I am guessing sets speed but I haven't tried. I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks.

Digdeep

Hi all, new to forum, just got myself a new cat 279C & 304ccr. Might be a stupid question - how do you know whether you have amics in the skid steer. I was supposed to get it but not sure what to look for. Guess I could ask the dealer but being impatient if I can get an answer tonight even better.

Thanbks, Richard.

Didn't your dealer salesman go through the machine with you to show you all of the features when he delivered it? I bet he took the time to take your money. Good luck with your new machines.

Didn't your dealer salesman go through the machine with you to show you all of the features when he delivered it? I bet he took the time to take your money. Good luck with your new machines.

He spent over 5 hours onsite running me through both machines on delivery. In the end I just wanted to get into them and give them a run so I told him all was good and thank you very much. He would of stayed all day and the next if I wanted him too.

He showed me so many things maybe I got brain overload and missed the amics part :beatsme

Anyway, there's a manual in the cab for some reason or another, might give that a read today :eek:

later814

Cat vs. Takeuchi

I have spent time in both (279C & TL140)... simply my observations:

Cat is way more comfortable... I had major knee surgery awhile back and I could barely walk after a couple hours in the Takeuchi

Both are about equal in power... Takeuchi is really a beast pushing forward... I felt Cat was a little better pushing through a turn

Cat Controls are better... Takeuchi is very sensitive, almost jerky... reverse on the Cat feels much smoother and it's easier to follow a radius

Seen both machines run through about 800 hours... no major service or parts issues on either

Takeuchi has great deals... Cat is nicer but I'm not sure about a major price premium on a machine like this... at the end of last year you could rent one interest free and purchase with 0% for 60 months... that makes a good machine look even better!