• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Cat 5510T scraper

Shimmy1

I think the producer of that first video was on an acid trip. Does anybody know what that truck weighs with that track setup?? A few observations I have are (1) It looks clumsy and takes 20 acres to turn around, (2) It would be deadly on a spoil pile unless you made the pile 100' wide and dedicated a dozer to maintaining the pile, and (3) The only application I can see this being more productive than tires or rubber tracks is in rock conditions.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The only application I can see this being more productive than tires or rubber tracks is in rock conditions.
Surely the idea is flotation so that it can work on really soft ground where a machine on tyres would be getting bogged. Those tracks, or more likely the bgoie wheels and all the rubber-covered components would get destroyed on rock IMO.

Cmark

Neat little track/bogie arrangements, but I fail to see the point of hacking a 740 and box into one unit. Why not just bolt four of them onto a 37 or 57?

Shimmy1

As someone who has been pulling a pan around for around 15 yrs with rubber belts, I'm just trying to understand the mentality of this setup. I'm not trying to disagree at all, if you got into big, nasty rock conditions like I think you guys are envisioning, I believe those tracks wouldn't stand a chance either. So, the million dollar question. What kind of job does someone want these for?? Are they going to last longer than quadtrac belts? Are they going to handle a MINOR rock application (small % of softball to football size rocks) better? I say this from experience because those are the size rocks that can tear a belt to shreds very quickly if the operator isn't paying attention. Are they going to be more productive in wet, greasy conditions? A quad will go until it's so wet you shouldn't be out there anyway.

ih100

Now this has really got me thinking. How do these stack up price-wise and running cost-wise against either a Challenger, Quadtrack or D7/8? Whatever the pros and cons, one of the killers with a steel tracked machine is speed, these are steel tracked, so how well do the tracks last? I'd love to see the state of the running gear after a few hundred hard hours, whatever they're working in. The only saving grace I can see is that the tracks are turning rather than slewing.

Also got to say, Nige, the videos I watched showed some pretty dry, hard-packed soil being moved.

Last edited:

BuMach

i've seen one off these cat's in germany.
I don't know if they wil go 25mph on those tracks tho..

i worked on a STX quad trac where we build a steel track system on.
his Case was also for scraping and they had big issues with keeping the rubber tracks in one piece.
They weren't allowed to go past the 10-12mph cause the bulldozer tracks can't handle that speed that well.