• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New CAT 430E IT

Duke

I've been looking hard for a backhoe- CAT, Case, JD or NH for about 3 months and one thing I consistently see with CAT is resale value above the other brands. That tells me they hold their value.
The reason something holds its' value is because buyers believe that even if it's a well used high hour/older machine, it's still worth something. The reason it's still worth something is because that potential buyers think it's still capable of making a profit for its' owner.

CAT seems to be highest resale, followed by about a tie between Case & Deere. NH was the lowest. I found NH's comparably equipped to CAT's that were 5 years newer, cleaner and with thousands less hours for the same or less cost!!!!

All of them are pretty good machines capable of doing a lot of work for many thousands of hours.

When in doubt, follow the money trail.

lars

Aside from anything D8 size and up (big dozers, loaders, and haul trucks come to mind), what lasts longer than 15,000 hours?

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
LIST prices:
Base 416E with a HD bucket = $62,000

Mid-range 420E w/cab, A/C, e-stick, 4WD, HD bucket = $93,200

Kitchen-sink 430E IT w/all options, including hyd. thumb, fork carriage/tines, MP bucket, coupler w/36-inch bucket = $137,000

Some operating performance comparisons between the 420E IT and its predecessor, the 420D IT, as well as operating impressions here: http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6311743.html

Thanks,

L

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think the resale values have a lot of variables. Sometimes it is hard to compare apples to apples when comparing values. The other issue is regional. If you have a strong CAT dealer in the area with weak competetive dealers the value of the CAT in this case may be greater. I go to auctions all over the Pac West. I don't see a CAT advantage in TLBs. Other equipment I do. Large dozers and large loaders and graders but not in skid steers, TLB's or compact excavators that may also be a regional thing.

stuvecorp

I guess I don't understand the logic to keeping a machine that long? :beatsme If it is that important to their production why not get a new machine every year because it is earning its keep. Just wonder why.

dug1016

I've heard and seen some larger mining excavators pushing 25,000-35,000 hrs. I understand that when those are $1-$2 million rigs. But a $115,000 loader? I guess if it runs, is productive and is making you money, why not?