• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New bridge

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Here is our latest job we are finishing up. We removed 2 32" X 20' culvert pipes that had been in place for 6 years. The house was built six years ago, and we did all of the site work, installed the culvert pipes, and installed the mound septic system, and tried to get them to put the bridge in then.

We used stud and whalers with snap ties to form the concrete head and stem walls 12" think. The I beams are 25' long, 18" height and 10" wide, the flanges are 5/8" thick and the web is 1/2" The bridge deck is 6" thick, 28' long and 12' wide pour with class C bridge mix 6000psi. The and railings are all 2" X2" 1/4" wall tubing. We did all of the welding on site, and didn't sub out any part of the work.

I haven't did very many projects like this in the few years couple due to focusing on commercial work (new subdivisions, demo, and utilities) my guys didn't complain out doing concrete this time, probably because its been so slow.....

Lets see what all the critics have to say..... hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Bridge 1 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 1 [50%].JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 901
  • Bridge 2 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 2 [50%].JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 900
  • Bridge 3 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 3 [50%].JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 897
  • Bridge 4 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 4 [50%].JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 893
  • Bridge 5 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 5 [50%].JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 889

bill5362

Occupation
More pics

Here a few more....

Attachments

• Bridge 8 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 8 [50%].JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 883
  • Bridge 7 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 7 [50%].JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 887
  • Bridge 6 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 6 [50%].JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 880
  • Bridge 9 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 9 [50%].JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 883
  • Bridge 10 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 10 [50%].JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 879

bill5362

Occupation
more pics

last one...

Attachments

• Bridge 11 [50%].JPG
    Bridge 11 [50%].JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 882

FSERVICE

what part of indiana are you in?? looks dry there also i am in Charlestown we got a tenth of a inch last thursday just settled the dust great pics good job

bill5362

Occupation
I'm in Bloomington, and we haven't gotten a 1/4" in the past 2 months, I have never seen it so dry as it was this summer....

Thanks oldtanker....

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That looks very nice.Was the bridge designed by an engineer and has anyone calculated how much weight it can support?I would want to know that if I was having a new bridge installed.That concrete form work is no fun but certainly welcome if the alternative is going home and losing a days pay.Ron G

bill5362

Occupation
Ron,
No there weren't any engineering plans, but I had an engineer calculated the load on the beams at 108,000 lbs total. Where they live (the narrow road) the largest truck you could get in there would be a quad axle and the most it can legally haul is 72,000 lbs. This doesn't include the strength of the class C concrete which will add 6000 psi, and the total weight of the concrete is 18,000 lbs of static load, so we should be well under the just the rating of the beams. Good questions, and thanks for all of the comments.

Bill

td25c

Excellent job on the bridge Bill:thumbsup I like the foundation & abutments.Shouldent have any trouble with fast water undermining it.Assuming we get some rain one of these days :D And with the beam size I wouldent be conserned about crossing it with anything as long as it fit between the handrail.Good work.I still like using the snap ties & whaler /"Gates" system on concrete walls.

Last edited:

bill5362

Occupation
td25c thanks for your compliments, and yes I looking forward to getting a little rain. It's getting rough to compact any soils right now as dry as its been. As for the snap ties they are great to use for these types of projects, very flexible for irregular projects.

bill5362

Occupation
Atco,
Thanks for you comment, and yes it is a nice house. If you could see the road getting back to house it would show case what a nice tranquil area it is. Bill

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Atco,
Thanks for you comment, and yes it is a nice house. If you could see the road getting back to house it would show case what a nice tranquil area it is. Bill

Well, ya did a dang good job. A house that nice needs appropriate surroundings. Heck, even if you were to build an outhouse for a house like that, it would have to be brick. :cool:

Lee-online

That is a fine looking bridge.

There was a local home that burnt to the ground because the fire department would not cross their bridge because it wasn't rated and they assumed it would not carry the weight of the fire truck.

I wonder if the local fire dept of that home should come out and approve the bridge so in an emergency they know they can cross it?

bill5362

Occupation
Lee,
I haven't heard of the rating of private bridges, but you make a good point. I will make a call and see if they have any concerns. Thanks Bill

Lee-online

Lee,
I haven't heard of the rating of private bridges, but you make a good point. I will make a call and see if they have any concerns. Thanks Bill

The way the news reported the fire, it sounded like the fire department rates it for themselves and must have a list of homes with bridges and on that list ones they cant cross.

bill onthehill

Fire equipment is very heavy when loaded with water. We had wood deck bridges we could never cross safely. Some of the towns bridges were not rated high enough for the tanker I drove. More than once I had to detour around bridges the engine could cross. Thankfully most of them have been or are scheduled for upgrades to handle the weight. A log truck recently broke one not far from me. He was over the limit by about 25,000 lbs.

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
Great work Bill, this is the sort of bridge I dream of. I built my own bridge with 18" channel and crossmembers, with wooden railway sleepers for the deck. There are no rails, so many visitors will acutally stop and walk the bridge before crossing (it looks pretty rustic)
Did you dig footings or piers for the headwalls?

bill5362

Occupation
Ando,
Thanks for the comments, yes we dug the footers (Hammer them in), and they are 32" wide and 24" to the bottom of the footers, and are 10" thick.