• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New BHL Releases

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Thought I'd open up a thread to discuss the new wonders from various manufacturers.

Cat has posted the brand-new 416E on its website. Deere plans to unveil its 410H Total Machine Control BHL this year for production.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
That TMC on the Deere sound really cool. I have always like Deeres the best, but I wish there hoe controls where more like Cats. There so hard to move on the ones I've ran.

From Deere site:

Backhoe with New Technology Delivers Precise Control

John Deere today announced the introduction of the 410H Backhoe, the construction industry’s first machine with Total Machine Control™ (TMC).

MOLINE, Ill (March 16, 2005)—John Deere today announced the introduction of the 410H Backhoe, the construction industry’s first machine with Total Machine Control™ (TMC).

TMC integrates control of every system in the machine, from engine to transmission and hydraulic functions to brakes, according to Bob Tyler, product marketing manager, John Deere Construction & Forestry Company.

“As a result of the TMC technology, all of the systems for the 410H respond automatically to the speed and feel preferences set by the operator,†he said. “This type of precise control of the machine’s functions allows this backhoe to deliver the best possible productivity and uptime, while minimizing operating costs.â€

The 410H, the first backhoe on the market to feature this technology, delivers high productivity through faster cycle times. A key feature that boosts cycle times is the three-speed backhoe hydraulics, which enables the operator to choose between three dig speeds. When the machine is started up, it will dig at exactly the same speed as a current Deere 410G will dig, which is effective in general trenching and other similar tasks. Select the fast mode, and the 410H backhoe with TMC will dig 30 percent faster than the current 410G; select slow mode, and the machine will dig 20 percent slower than current production.

“The fast mode obviously results in faster cycle times when bailing dirt and other simple tasks,†Tyler said. “When doing careful work, such as craning loads and other similar tasks on a crowded job site, or when training a new operator, the slow mode is very useful for maintaining control and balance.â€

John Deere Backhoe

A tool carrier option is available for the loader end of the 410H, which includes parallel lift as well as the new hydraulic quick coupler, both of which enhance productivity. Traditionally, tool carriers require significant linkage down the side of the loader arms. The 410H tool carrier option eliminates all that linkage, which saves on maintenance costs and makes the machine considerably easier to service. The newly designed loader arms and coupler provide the industry’s best truck height visibility. Bucket and attachment options from John Deere’s Worksite Pro™ line make the 410H one of the most flexible machines of its kind on the market.

In addition to the parallel lift found on the tool carrier option, the 410H also provides some automated features not generally found on a backhoe. One of these features, return-to-carry, enables the operator to simply push the lever forward and let go of the joystick after dumping a load; the boom will automatically return to a position that’s just above the ground, ready for another cycle.

Another automated feature offered on the 410H is boom height kick-out, which allows the operator to set the loader boom height to fit working conditions. “For example, if a job requires the loader to go in and out of a specific entry, the boom height can be pre-set so that there’s no danger of the boom accidentally making contact with the top of the door,†Tyler said.

Auto-idle, an automated feature that enhances fuel efficiency, also is provided on the 410H. If the operator releases the backhoe controls for more than four seconds, the engine automatically reverts to idle, which saves fuel and reduces noise. In addition, the system ensures that if a hose is accidentally damaged, the boom stays in place. Hose burst protection helps further minimize operating costs.

The machine design features all the conveniences of the previous model, with several new features that enhance comfort. Pilot controls are replaced by two joysticks, which are set into each arm rest for maximum convenience. The console also has been updated, with the same sealed switch keypad that’s found on Deere loaders and motor graders.

“Face forward, the joysticks control the loader function—swivel the seat around to the back, the joysticks become backhoe controls. What’s more, at the touch of a button, the right-hand backhoe joystick becomes the loader control while still facing the rear of the machine,†Tyler said.

Serviceability is enhanced by improved in-house diagnostics, according to Tyler. “The 410H has a lot more electronic capability than past machines, which includes more electronic and hydraulic sensors,†he said. “Because of those sensors, the system captures a wealth of diagnostic data and stores it for technicians to access later, allowing them to prevent potential service issues on the machine.†Additionally, backhoe valves are easier to reach for servicing, since they’re located on the backhoe boom rather than buried under the floor of the cab.

John Deere will produce some 410H machines for release in 2006.

“This machine is the only backhoe on the market that offers this many automated features, not to mention all of the other capabilities that make it the most versatile and productive machine in its class,†Tyler said. “The 410H truly is the next generation in backhoe technology.â€

About John Deere: John Deere (Deere & Company-NYSE:DE) is the world’s leading manufacturer of agricultural and forestry equipment; a major manufacturer of construction equipment; and a leading supplier of equipment used in lawn, grounds and turf care. Additionally, John Deere manufactures engines used in heavy equipment and provides financial services and other related activities that support the core businesses. Since it was founded in 1837, the company has established a heritage of quality products and services providing performance that endures to customers worldwide.

Key Specifications:
Net Engine Horsepower 92 hp. (69 kW)
Backhoe Dig Depth 15 ft. 10 in. (4.8 m)
Tool Carrier/Loader Breakout Force 11,200 lbs. (49.8kN)
Backhoe Bucket Digging Force 14,801 lbs. (65.8 kN)
Loader Dump Clearance 8 ft. 4 in. (2.54 m)

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
That H-series BHL was pushed back. The first few releases Deere made (and an article that was published in Construction Equipment magazine) both indicated that Deere would release the series in September 2005.

What makes the Deere a better BHL in your opinion?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Between the top three (Cat, Case, and Deere) it looks like you can't go wrong with any of them.

I wish the Cat made their Pilot controls standard for the loader control. On the 420D it is only available with the Integrated Toolcarrier package. The standard loader control is decent, but could be better. Their new E-Stick design is similar to Case and it allows you to use a thumb at full extension, but this should have been the way they were always made. I really like the new rear fenders on the Cat E series. The current ones let snow or dirt collect on them. Cats are very good as it is, but it sounds like the new updates should make them amazing.

I don't have any experience with Deere, but it sounds like they have a pretty nice product as well.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Deere and Cat are almost the same, Case I have zero experience on. Any of the three, as mentioned, couldn't do harm to anyone.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
All of the Cat's I've ran are to light in the front compared to Deere's. I don't care for Case and I was told there more budget machines, but I've not spent a much of time on them.

Cat420

Occupation
What do you mean by "light in the front end"? I'm sure I am familiar with the idea, but for some reason I am drawing a blank on this phrase.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I can't keep the front tires on the ground with out an "easy ride". They just bounce a lot more unladen than Deere IMO, all models of Cat backhoes.

Cat420

Occupation
I can only say that I've noticed that a few times, but we have a 4n1 bucket, 4x4 axle, and the heaviest counterweight available on the front so that may help :beatsme . I haven't used a Deere, so I have nothing to compare it too.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Literature is now available govbidspec.cat.com

Nice-looking machines... I can't wait to see a few of them romping around! :slomo

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Cat420
Ya I run the same hoe as you just with no cab. And it's better than the 416s I've ran, but IMO doesn't compare to Deere. I refuse to run a hoe without 4WD unless your on hard pan a 2WD can't get out of it's own way. And to think I've never seen a 4 in 1 on a hoe before I moved out west, now I b*tch if I have to run one without one.

Cat420

Occupation
Same here with the 4n1 bucket. It's like missing half the machine without it.

I was looking at the specs for the new 420E and it's front and rear axles are rated for the same amount. Perhaps they shifted some weight up front to give them a better balance :beatsme . Our's weighs 19,000lbs when you add up all the options, but I guess I never really paid attention to the balance. Like I said, I don't have a Deere to compare to, but I've have been more than happy with our 420D and that's pretty good considering it was one of the first 300 made. The new one must be incredible.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
I found the 310G I ran to be very light in the front for a 4x4 unit. Other than that, excellent machine. Between Deere and Cat, you're splitting hairs. Just depends on which pigment of yellow you prefer :Cowboy

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Cat yellow... :salute

Though I suppose I should try (try) to be unbiased by mentioning that Deere's latest Construction Equipment Review has an article that claims the 410G can outdig the 430D by around 30%.

Not knowing any truthfulness to that, I'm impressed if there is that big a difference -- that would imply the 430D is a big slouch -- as it certainly hasn't sold poorly by any measure!

Cat420

Occupation
30% would truly be a great accomplishment, but it sounds like the different auto makers that each have a "best in class vehicle" :rolleyes: . If they can actually offer that kind of improvement then it should outsell everyone hands down.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I think that could be true, I have always felt Cat hydraulics are a good bit slower than Deere.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
30% is unbelieveable, the guy running the 430D in the test must have been new. LOL. There are tricks at that, they won't tell you the whole truth. They might have used a different sized bucket on each machine which in turn could affect one machines performance one way or another. I like to think of machine tests as a direct reflection of the government, the truth is somewhat there, but there's something they're always leaving out.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
The Cat E Series seem like very slick machines. Saw a 420E out in Arizona at Cat's Tinaja Hills proving ground couple of weeks ago. I'm a desk jockey, so a poor judge of machine performance, but it was smooth and powerful enough to make even me look decent at the controls. But I was there primarily for the introduction of Cat's new D-Series excavators, so I didn't spend too much time with it.

New Holland introduced a new B Series backhoe loaders in February. The 14-footer -- B95 -- has decent backhoe and loader performance specs. The best loader-bucket breakout force among 14 footers, and only Cat's new 420E generates more stick-digging force. The B95's backhoe also outreaches most 14-footers at maximum dump height. The B95LR is the base B95 with the longer stick off the B110, making it a fuel-efficient 15 footer. Both B95 derivatives offer bucket breakout force improved by 8 percent.

There's more information about them in our backhoe loader story coming in April. Nothing on the New Holland web site yet, but I've pasted the press release below.

ADios

January 17, 2006

New Holland Celebrates 40 Years of Loader Backhoe Heritage With Five New Models

CAROL STREAM, Ill. (Jan. 17, 2006) – Marking a 40-year legacy with a heritage that began with a dedicated tractor loader backhoe introduced in 1966, New Holland announces five new loader backhoes, rated from 95 to 110 gross horsepower.

The B95 and B95TC (Tool Carrier) models are in the 14-foot size class, and the B95LR (Long Reach), B110 and B115 are in the 15-foot size class. From digging or loading, to trenching or pushing, these loader backhoes respond with the power and torque needed to get the job done fast.

“In the last 40 years, we’ve seen a lot of changes and improvements to the tractor loader backhoe,” said Eric Winkler, brand marketing manager for New Holland. “These New Holland loader backhoes lead the industry in loader breakout force to excel in the toughest conditions. They offer an unmatched package of loader and backhoe performance, precise control, operator visibility, operator comfort and maintenance ease.”

The B95TC tool carrier version delivers true self-leveling both up and down, making it perfect for use with forks. The B95TC also includes a standard hydraulic quick coupler for easy attachment change.

The B95LR long reach version is the base B95 model with the B110 stick – making it a 15-foot machine. “This machine is ideal for customers who want added reach at a lower price and with better fuel consumption than larger, higher-horsepower machines,” said Winkler.

Superior power
The turbo-charged 4.5-liter New Holland engines use heavy-duty valve train components and a self-adjusting poly V-belt for durability. Oil jets cool the underside of the pistons for perfect temperature control – a feature usually reserved for higher horsepower engines.

“These engines deliver the most horsepower and breakout forces in the 14- and 15-foot size class,” said Winkler.

More reach and capacity
The inline loader linkage, high capacity hydraulics and traditional geometry give these machines exceptional lift capacity. Because fast cycle time is essential to productivity, the new loader backhoes feature high-capacity, fast response hydraulics.

“These new models provide excellent reach at maximum dump height to make grapple and bucket work easier,” said Winkler. “The operator can place loads exactly where he wants them.”

The superior backhoe dig force is excellent for high-production trenching or digging and the straight-arm loader linkage and dual cylinders deliver unmatched lift capacity, bucket rotation and breakout force.

Best-in-class maintainability
New Holland loader backhoes allow simple routine maintenance. With all the daily service points located at ground level on the left side, the new loader backhoes have earned the best ease-of-service rating based on SAE requirements. The diagnostic test port under the left engine panel provides easy system pressure checks. Less downtime spent on maintenance means more productivity.

“Lockable engine side panels are easy to remove for quick access to all engine components, whether the loader arms are up or down,” said Winkler.

Narrow backhoe boom for better visibility
Featuring the narrowest backhoe boom on the market, slim cab pillars and a highly sloped hood, the new loader backhoes provide the best view to the front bucket in the business. The comfortable operator’s station has 360-degree visibility so every move can be made with confidence. The black exhaust stack on the new machines significantly reduces glare.

“The new loader backhoes sit higher than competitive machines, giving the operator a better vantage point to the work site around them,” said Winkler. “The one-piece, easy-open rear door window moves up and out of the way to provide unobstructed visibility all the way into the trench when using the backhoe,” said Winkler.

Last edited: