• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new bed in dump box with center of plate loose should it be welded to lower floor???

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Had a new 1/4 inch AR450 plate for floor welded into the dump box:), the weld is all around the sides of the inside of box.
The center of the AR450 plate (it is one piece 14 feet long) back by the tail gate has a slight bounce to it, it appears to be around 1/8 space between the lower floor and the new plate floor.
Old floor was straight over the floor crossmembers but sightly bowed between them back by the tailgate and near center of box. I put the new floor in to prevent further damage to box floor, lower floor is 3/16 inch mild steel.
Should I drill a 3/4 inch hole through the AR450 plate and tack weld it to the lower floor? Or is this nothing to be concerned about??

speedy

Yeah, I think it should have been 'plug-welded' over top of the crossmembers. Otherwise, the dirt that will inevitably get in there will cause it to bow upwards.

Dualie

is it fully welded around the perimeter? if so i wouldn't worry about it to much

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
don't worry about it. it will find its happy place. if you drill that hole and plug weld it it will probably crack at some point and then you will get material under your liner................theironoracle