• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Apprentice Question

NPGC

I just scored a 101(got extra points for a class A) on the test to become an operator apprentice. Haven't got a call yet but they say above 95 has a good chance. I am currently a groundman for the IBEW power lineman union. Its really taking a toll on my body digging holes by hand and crap like that so I thought I would test and see what happens. Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
1. Is the workload good for operators/apprentices right now and in the foreseeable future?
2. Should I stay on my current path and become a lineman or switch to an operator? I know lineman work a lot and make a little more but I usually don't see many past 60 years old still working.
3. The union where I tested has a few options. Heavy Equip operator, Inspectors, and mechanics. Any opinions on the best choice?

Thanks

Vetech63

OK, this is just MY opinion from what Ive seen here for years...………

Heavy Equipment operator- Air conditioning and heated enclosed cabs, don't get real dirty, not extremely physical, 40 hour weeks with most weekends off.

Heavy Equipment Techs- The only a/c or heat you get is driving between jobs, a lot of lying in the snow or mud, sweat to near heat stroke, Bust your knuckles constantly, cuts are expected, long hours, sore as hell where you have a hard time getting a good nights sleep, dealing with superintendents or operators that think they know more than you do about fixing things, little appreciation, rarely weekends off.

Its a no brainer to me.
This was a light hearted view so don't any of you operators feel disrespected.;)

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

Heavy Equipment operator- Air conditioning and heated enclosed cabs, don't get real dirty, not extremely physical, 40 hour weeks with most weekends off.

Heavy Equipment Techs- The only a/c or heat you get is driving between jobs, a lot of lying in the snow or mud, sweat to near heat stroke, Bust your knuckles constantly, cuts are expected, long hours, sore as hell where you have a hard time getting a good nights sleep, dealing with superintendents or operators that think they know more than you do about fixing things, little appreciation, rarely weekends off.

Its a no brainer to me.
This was a light hearted view so don't any of you operators feel disrespected.;)

You forgot to mention that operators have some excellent skills. Like being able to break a machine in the absolute worst position or location for the mechanic to fix it lol.

NPGC

Its a no brainer to me.
Thanks for the reply really eye-opening

Welder Dave

I'm curious how old you are? It sounds like you don't like doing grunt work but I think you're going to have to do some of it no matter what career path you choose. I don't know if any employer is just going to throw you on a machine without seeing what your work ethic is like. Cleaning mud out of tracks isn't too fun but still needs to be done. Knew a guy that had newbie learning how to dig pipeline. Newbie got in a hurry and drove across a frozen swamp without checking it and fell through. Only kept his job because he hooked up the cables to pull it out.

NPGC

I just turned 40. I know my body can take it right now but I want to be able to last in a career until 65+. Thanks for the info. Thats a crazy story about the swamp.