• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Never seen this happen before

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
My dad had a bucket come off while he was on his buddys machine this summer. He said 2 of the nuts on the lines for the quick coupler were lose and thats what caused it.

rino1494

I'd send him home for slamming the stick down on the ground like that. No room for hotheads like that.

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
The hoses almost had a chance of sav....oh nevermind :pointhead

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
Based on the operator's expression, this appears to have happened before. i recall having a similar reaction when the new welder couldn't figure out the clearances on my LaBounty shear, I'd loose blades daily.

Eric

Wolf

Holy cr*p. That's quite a video. I wonder if Pennhall knows that's on YouTube. They are a really professional outfit. Bet that doesn't happen too often, but it sure is funny, given that nobody was hurt.

D5G

Thats hilarious,i'm sure not so for the operator but like everyone says its funny just as long as it doesn't happen to you.:Banghead

surfer-joe

Well, when I had hydraulic hammers on the job, the dirt super would fire anyone he saw using the point as a pry-bar or as a drag-pin like this fella. Hammers are constructed to hammer, nothing else, tho hundreds of guys use them for the other things anyway. But not on our jobs. If that operator had to pay to repair or over-haul one of these things, he'd understand why.

stumper120

oops

when i run my hammer im thinking to my self $175 an hour:) $$$$175 an hour:) betcha this guy was thinking the same followed by $-800 :Banghead .i wonder if when the hammer hit the ground it went bang. or made that sound a cash register makes when somone slams the drawer

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
That company (Penhall) is out of Socal and they ain't known for how well they take care of there iron. Don't know why you guys are being so hard on that very experienced union operator...:D

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
We are over-hauling one in our shop right now and it is going to run over 10-grand, and the hammer was over-hauled about 6 months ago buy there mechanics but when you use them a pry-bars they don't last long

surfer-joe

If one is going to overhaul a hammer, be sure to use new parts. Do NOT re-chrome the piston and repair the bore, other than maybe just cleaning up a minor stratch or two.

Outfit I worked for, the corporate equipment manager got a "hot" deal on a used hammer for the job I was on. Yep! You guessed it, the piston had been re-chromed and the piston bore had been welded up and rehoned. Both repairs quickly fell apart under use and the metalic debris went all through the excavator hydraulic system, creating a 60 thousand bill for cleaning, flushing, and replacement of seals and other parts damaged. That's when the order went out that the hammers we were using were to be used for hammering only, nothing else.

The 9 grand the CEM paid for that hammer in the first place became a lot more when all the cost were tallied. Not to mention the fact that I had to scramble and find another big hammer, and an excavator to put it on. Not too many available then in that area.

The original hammer was junk, it was not a common brand and parts were very expensive, with long lead times to procure. No doubt why the original owner repaired it the way he did and then got rid of it.

Truckie

The sub titles are priceless.

Man that is funny as long as it don’t happen to you and no one gets hurt.
I to have had repeated problem with blades falling off my La Bounty shear and collars falling off the main cutting part attachment to the piston to shear material.
It gets old real quick when you got a mechanic or a maintenance person who dose not want to do there job let alone do it right.
All it dose is aggravate the operator then he gets really peed off because he is falling behind, then he gets the but chewing because the problem keeps happing.
IMHOP that operator did not slam the stick down like some people are saying, but it was a stern placement. I have seen a lot worse.