• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Neva Contracting Lake Cowichan B.C.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st picture is of load and trailer laying on its side at head of Cowichan Lake . 2nd picture is Gordon Neva under load fishing for something , my guess is he's trying to save cinches and wrapper's . 3rd picture hooking trailer up to Gordon Neva's truck . 4th picture is load on Gordon Neva's truck , Gordon Neva's truck is a really cool truck , the P510S pictured has a 3408 Cat in it . Some of the things Swan and Gordon pulled off are what legends are made of , a couple of things that stand out about Gordon is watching him turning around the "A" trailers he use to pull with his P510S Pacific in some of the tightest quarters to load up with shake bolts. And watching him take one of their old International Paystar 5000 gravel trucks equipped with a "Power divider" no lockers , up a steep hill empty , following a jerk in a logging truck with everything locked up churning up the road . Gordon walked the old gravel truckscan456.jpgscan457.jpgscan458.jpgscan459.jpg up the same hill and hardly turned over a pebble .

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 3rd picture is the real Swan Neva a hard working hands on trucker . 4th picture should have been with loader over bank posted previously .scan460.jpgscan461.jpgscan462.jpgscan463.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st - 2nd pictures loading shake bolts on trailer with Helicopter . 3rd picture Hauling Fir cants for Vince Callender from Fleet Cr. 5th picture Loading logs with Gordon Neva's machine by Youbou Mill .scan464.jpgscan465.jpgscan466.jpgscan467.jpgscan468.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st picture Quenville's last load of shake bolts out of Sarita Dryland Sort . 2nd - 3rd pictures Motor went in Gordon Neva's 1980 P510S Pacific log truck, Swan Nevascan469.jpgscan470.jpgscan471.jpg towing Gordon with Gravel truck , Braden Tuck in pickup on way to China Cr. DLS to unload it .

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st picture Braden Tuck in Swan's 1956 Ford tandem gravel truck after he restored it , in a Lake Cowichan Heritage Days Parade . 2nd picture Ken Schedel standing with Mary & Swan Neva in front of Hayes highway truck painted in Neva colours , not sure who own's it . 3rd picture not sure but I think its Mary & Swan Neva standing in front of 3 International Paystar 5000 gravel trucks and the 1956 Ford gravel truck .scan472.jpgscan473.jpgscan474.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
I can. I did post somewhere but this was on a Saturday. Shop Boss and Tireman wanted to eliminate flat tires on lowbed. This bed had 16 tires. So they had a plan. Take 2 tires off and install 1 balloon tire. They did ask me about it. I said ok BUT only do it on inside set to try it. So come Saturday morning. I show up to movedGY and tires are on lowbed. 2 balloon tires on right side front and back. Not happy but Foreman says go. So coming downhill around corner and over a large N-head and outside tires roll off the rims. Go get line horse,pull lowbed back on her feet,move around the corner and unload GY. Monday morning in Manager's office,lots of finger pointing. Safety officer comes to conclusion I was going too fast. But first thing to be done is take tires off,never too be seen again. Then go pick up a rock drill and blow N-head. GY sits waiting and crew waits for move. I confronted Manager as to "going too fast"and his only reply was,go to work. End of story

dirty4fun

Looks like it was pretty close to the point of laying down on it's side Blk prince. Amazing ho some people have all these great (not) ideas then disappear into the woodwork when something goes a bad.

HDX

Blk prince Although I have seen them before and also having driven low bed My nuts climb up inside me like they are retractable every time I look at them pictures You don't get any closer without some really memorable things taking place.!!! Well done-- As for the safety guy WELL there are lion tamers and lyin Bast##ds and I don't think he knew much about lions!

Last edited:

Pacific86

Braden T. (Swan Neva) Here's what is written on one picture . 1948 logged on Neva Rd. (Lake Cowichan) 1937 White Truck #23 Massey owned truck .View attachment 139567View attachment 139568

Hey Camptramp... For those that have inquired... I asked Gordon if he knew anymore info on this 1940 Hayes in post#37. He remembers gramps telling him about who owned this truck. But at this moment he cant remember the name. He thinks possibly it may of had something to do with Don Braithwaite? Or possibly his father. I think he said the dad had logging equipment or was in the industry?? ..Hope this might help

camptramp

Occupation
Welcome to HEF Pacific86 Any information on Swan Neva's life or trucks and equipment would be of interest to anyone who knew him , they just don't make characters like him anymore .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
On the outside of the bed,we had 4 pins welded. These were 10" high made of 4" round stock. They were 4' back from gooseneck and 4' ahead of front axle. Just a guide to keep GY straight as it broke over centre when loading. These helped to stop GY from sliding off. Jim,in the previous post there is one picture of us beside the bed on driver's. It was 60" off the ground. Thankfully it did end well

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st picture Unloading barge for SureSpan Tofino 2001 , 3rd picture Lake Day's Parade June 1977 4th picture ( Photo by Dave Whiskin ) Logging Truck Parade May 21 , 2006 .scan484.jpgscan485.jpgscan486.jpgscan487.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) Loughborough Inlet June 1975 . 3rd picture is a familiar sight at any isolated logging campscan488.jpgscan489.jpgscan490.jpg on the West Coast of British Columbia . The "Cribbing" at the waters edge is to unload or load equipment on a barge . The float is to dock the Float Plane at , and was used for dropping off the camps Freight and Groceries by "Coast Ferries" a company that had a fleet of small coastal Freighters to deliver the freight to isolated Camps and Communities .

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st picture is of the construction of the Honeymoon Bay DLS . 3rd picture is of a Pacific logging truck , with spare tires hanging from "Stakes" it looks like it is waiting for a barge to go to camp or has just returned by barge from camp . Also notice the "For Sale " sign in windshield .scan491.jpgscan492.jpgscan493.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Braden T. (Swan Neva) 1st picture Loughborough Inlet June 1975 . 2nd picture is an HD Hayes , that was formerly owned by Neva Contracting , owned at this time by D. Nimmo , who put the "Courtnay Heal Boom Loader" on it . I don't think he loaded that load with loader on truck , I think he cheated a little . 3rd & 4th pictures Looks like Swan Neva was doing a little yarding with his American loader before he lost it over the bank due to a run away .scan494.jpgscan495.jpgscan496.jpgscan497.jpg