• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Neighbor made me sick.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Yall may remember me telling about my neighbor that had a large earthmoving and paving co from the late 40's to the early 80s. I grew up knowing the old man and he taught me a lot about the old Fleet of AC dozers and scrapers and the old TD14 and 18s. He also had tons of trucks. They never sold anything and inherited the whole company when his father died. My neighbor only sold something when he needed some cash. He made a living off of old AC parts which they had 8 trailers full of heads seals and pumps.

They had a location in town and the town fok wante d it removed, even though it was mostly hidden except for a few booms of Smaller draglines. WHen scrap was up his son stole an old AC scraper and and few other things. He couldnt move it and sold the machines for scrap. A few things were saved.

A few months ago Mr. Frederick past away I had just done some work on his old D6 He had in town cleaning up the brush around his old lot. I used to help him do alot of work just to get to spend time listening to his tales of dirt moving and euipment mechanicing. I had asked him about a 3 stage knuckle boom telescopic rig he had saved. He told me to come get that old boom and the controls for it. He passed away the next day. I met his son the sameday comming back from the direction of a scrap dealer. I found out he carried to the scrappers.

Heres the sickening tally Hes scrapped 2 Duece and a half army trucks one with a serious drill rig they used for road sampling and sign planting. The other had and air powered oil and grease pump set with six stations . 2 M-37 Dodges they used as site trucks, a 200 IHC truck a 190 IH lime truck, a couple chevey dumps running, A Compact White cabover with a new Detroit in it. and toay another 200 IH twin screw.

The real tear jerkers were the A40 Mack he wanted 500 bucks for had a mint grill and hood but the cab back needed some minor work. I showed up with the money the nhe said He priced it too cheap wouldnt make a price then scrapped it. Then he scrapped a nice little Case driveway roller and factory trailer, V stinger blade for a 5 or 6 Cat. 2 40 foot trailers loaded with tools and track press equipment and welders. A van full of Cat filters. Mauled the small bits off an old D7 Cable bale rig.

Then I asked about his old Unit dragline, He told me he was gonna scrap it to. I offered him a processed steel price of 12 cents per pound and He cut it up saying he didnt want to see anything of his dads left. He cut it up wouldnt even sell the 2-71 Detroit out of it. Hes got an old Terex TS14 left and an old Leibherr wheeled excavator I think its a 921.

Whats sad is the few trucks thats left is an old 1920's or 30s Packard hook and ladder fire truck Im wanting to save and an old 46/7 IH KB7 Citgo fuel tanker with a perfect body and al lthe chrome. The son is a doper, its a shame to he can do anything just got too sorry to. I wished there was some way I could have gotten the old Dragline or A40 to restore of Mr Fredericks.

amunderdog

My condolences.
Earlier this year my neighbor sent about four Ford N model trucks to the scrapers.
My cousin said he saw some of the killing. They did not have big enough equipment to move them, so they torched them and loaded the pieces.
It is such a waste.
I can understand junk but antique stuff deserves some respect.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Its terrible, I forgot to add a nice hydraulic auger and full set of bits gone to. THe machines his dad had cut was apalling but he had a reason having to move them from town. About 10 years ago hed have moved them. Whats bad is when son gets all his stuf fscrapped he wont have anything to support his or his girl friends habits. He will probably start back breaking in houses. They had a pile of dump beds and flat beds the father had bought from Heil when TBEI bought them out here. THey went to scrap. I cant think why he turned down double scrap price. The old A50 mack his father was offered 3500 for it before he passed.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Taylortractornu said:
The son is a doper
Seems he's a damn dope, as well... :(

OCR

Bumpus

Occupation
Disability / Retired
Go to the junk yard and offer to buy some of these things back yourself.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
He mangles everything loading it with a tlb. The yard showed me a ticket they scaled him with an 8500 pound truck front end. He pulled it 21 miles with a shop built trailer be hind a Dodge Caravan. On the trucks after he found out they were wanted he takes the hoe down there and flattens them and cuts the frame behind the cab and puts it on a trailer.

dayexco

can't blame a guy for makin a buck on scrap iron. you might be mad, but apparently it was his to do with what he wished.

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
If someone offers double the scrap price and then still scraps it .That person is an idiot.The last poster (can't blame the guy for making a buck) I understand but if someone offers double money . Where is the logic in that!

Komatsu 150

Just a WAG here but is it just possible that he doesn't really have the right to sell or there are other relatives who would take notice, etc. and the scrap yard is paying CASH like a lot of them do?

Bumpus

Occupation
Disability / Retired
I believe the answer to the Son's attitude, and why he is scrapping everything instead of selling it, can be found in what you wrote.

# 1. The people in there town did not want the large assortment visible to the public, also the Son is a thief and did not care about his family so he stole off of his own Dad and sold it for money.

They had a location in town and the town fok wante d it removed even though it was mostly hidden except for a few booms of Smaller draglines. WHen scrap was up his son stole an old AC scraper and and few other things. He couldnt move it and sold the machines for scrap. A few things were saved.

# 2. He also hated his Dad so much he did not want to ever see anything (Business Equipment ) around in the neighborhood that would remind him of his Dad.

If he sells them to people in his comunity he will see them again, but if he scraps them he will never be reminded of his Dad or his business.

Then I asked about his old Unit dragline, He told me he was gonna scrap it to. I offered him a processed steel price of 12 cents per pound and He cut it up saying he didnt want to see anything of his dads left. He cut it up wouldnt even sell the 2-71 Detroit out of it.

irwin

Just a WAG here but is it just possible that he doesn't really have the right to sell or there are other relatives who would take notice, etc. and the scrap yard is paying CASH like a lot of them do?
Like Komatsu 150 said here.

When you sell an item.. that item still exists.. but when it's melted there's nothing to prove it existed, or what it was anyway... He might not have to rights to,( or ownership of) to sell that eqipment.

Of course he might not like you.. try not to feel too bad if he doesn't :rolleyes:

What can you do about him scrapping antiques? if it's his, nothing. If it's not his, find out who really owns it and let them know what's going on.

Don't know if I'd what to start sh## with family..him not liking you is one thing, him wanting some kind of revenge is another. What you do is up to you.

Last edited:

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Well I though he and I were friends, I have helped him off the road alot of times. Even loaned him money, He always paid me back on time. I ve even taken care of his dogs when he would be in the county jail. Not just a few weeks ago he was on the old 580 Case hoe they have and he ran out of fuel across the rod in a blind spot about 10 30 at night. We was trying to comealong it out of the road and was having to do traffic control. I was going home and saw him. I stopped and gave him about 10 gallons of fuel and got the 580 bled and started. Hes likeable when hes sober.

Hes in his mid 40s looks like his late 60's from dope. His mother owned the stuff she swears he hasnt given her a dime but cant stop him. I know when he or his son get out of hand she will call the law but then they get there she goes off on the law. The machines out here i nthe county the county doesnt care about. just the ones i n town and that was a money racket there.

There was a man that wanted to buy the old Unit dragline and the A40 Mack and the old D7 for his museum 200 miles away and the boy refused cash money of 10 000. I think the tally on the mentioned items was around 2500. He wont be scrapping for a few days He cleaned out a mans tractor implement shed yesterday. County has him hemmed up now.