• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some info about Backhoe tires

Patti

Hi, My Plumber friend has a Case580B backhoe/loader and he does all kinds of work for me, so I'd like to surprise him with new front tires-(which he needs), but I have limited knowledge about heavy equipment, and could really use some help!
I have looked at some different tires, including the McLaren Nu-Airs, and some Military tires. I don't think he gets flats too often, so I am wondering if the Nu-Airs are overkill? He does some driving on the road, digs cemetary plots, plumbing lines, fencing, moves gravel, horse manure etc. If I go with a different type of tire, what ply should I be looking for? I'm not sure what year the Backhoe is- is that going to matter? What other information will I have to know before I buy the tires? Does it matter if it is a 2WD or 4WD? (I don't know which it is). Is there a certain bolt pattern I will have to match on his rims? Can the McLaren tires be put on any rim? If there's any information that you think I should know, please tell me!! You guys using this equipment are the gurus and any advice is welcome!! ANY suggestions as to tire brands that people have had good luck with would REALLY be appreciated. I'm not sure how much freight will be from the States, but I am located in Mid-Western Ontario, so any dealers in Ontario would be helpful as well. Thanks for any help you can offer! Patti

robin yates uk

hello Patti, you need to know if your friends machine is a 2wd or a 4wd.If he roads the machine he must use the correct tyre. Better get this info before you buy is my opinion, good luck

tireman

Did case even make 4WD back when they were making 580 Bs?

I've never seen a 4WD 580B (or for that matter a C or D either). Should be 11L-16 on the front of the machine. No need for the fancy flat free tires if he doesn't get many flats. Simple 10 ply ribbed implement tire is all he needs. Be sure to get new tubes for them. No need for new wheels if the old ones are still useable.

Patti

Need some infor about Backhoe Tires

I've never seen a 4WD 580B (or for that matter a C or D either). Should be 11L-16 on the front of the machine. No need for the fancy flat free tires if he doesn't get many flats. Simple 10 ply ribbed implement tire is all he needs. Be sure to get new tubes for them. No need for new wheels if the old ones are still useable.

Okay, thanks for the info everyone. If I can get the serial number from the machine, I assume I will be able to find out about the 2WD / 4WD issue, but it sounds like it is just 2WD anyways. If I start asking him questions he will want to know why I am so interested....
By "wheels" you mean "rims", right? He has ribbed implement tires on now...but I thought they were looking pretty bare, which is why I thought it would be a good gift. Whenever I drive it, it slips and slides in the mud and it is hard to steer, (maybe it's just the driver! lol See....women always have an ulterior motive- I just want it to handle better when I drive it!! hahaha ) so I figured tires with more tread, like the military tires or the McLaren tires I saw, would be better than simple ribbed tires. So, I have to buy tires AND tubes, is that correct? The 11L-16 sounds familiar- will that be printed on the tires that are currently on it? If so, maybe I can check that to make sure they will fit. If I go with this kind of tire, do I have to know how many bolts/a specific bolt pattern that is on the rim? Do the tubes come WITH the tires, or will I have to specify that I need them as well? Do I need to buy tubes if his other ones are okay...ie....can he re-use them? Or is it better to buy new tubes and keep the others for back-up? (sorry for all these questions that must sound dumb to you guys....but I appreciate the help!!)
NOW.... Whereabouts would I look for 10ply tires this size in Ontario? Any suggestions? Should I get them directly from Michelin or some other brand name? What ARE some of the brand names I should look at if I'm just getting a regular heavy-duty tire as opposed to the McLaren type? I saw another post on this website where someone gave a link for a guy that sells a lot of tires on ebay- (can't recall his name right now), but I'm not sure if they are new and/or used, and depending on where he is located, shipping might be expensive. Anything to look for in particular if I look at used ones? (besides cracks in the sidewalls or the tread?) How do you measure how much tread is left? If someone says 90% is there a way to measure it? I know I have a lot of questions in one post....Thanks for your help!

tireman

That's just the nature of a 2WD machine. No tire is gonna solve that.Only if the front wheels were putting power to the ground would a traction tire help. Ribbed implement tires will not have a deep tread to begin with. Most all rot before the tread wears out. Bottom line is whether it needs new tires or not you are not gonna gain anything in handling in the slop so save your money and find another way to surprise or repay him. Yes all tires will have the size on the sidewall of the tire.No need for bolt pattern info to replace tires. Yes it's always best to put a new tube in a new tire and yes they have to be purchased separately. Best of luck finding used implement tires worth mounting. Firestone has always been top of the line for bias implement tires, Carlisle, Armstrong are a couple others. Michelin does not manufacture a bias ply tire of any type - radial only.Best to deal with a commercial tire dealer(one whose main business is truck/farm/industrial) - not retail. In other words if they don't have a fleet service trucks keep shopping (which it sounds to me like you've no need to do).

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Speaking of course, of 2wd machines, it occurs to me that I don't think I ever saw a 580 that had "ribbed" tires. I had two 680s, and they both had ribbed tires, but every 580 I've ever seen has had some sort of tread pattern on the tires...

tireman

Only thing I've ever seen on the front, except for some run what ya brung types with old pickup tires on them. OE was 11L-16 rib on all 2WD 580's I ever saw in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky or Washington where I did all of my tire service. Of coarse the 4WD have the same tires on the front as a skid steer (12-16.5). I'm curious to see what type of tire you're referring to. Can you locate any pic or Case brochure photo's of a 2WD hoe with anything other than a ribbed steer tire? If so please post or link.

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Just so we're on the same page, what I mean by "ribbed" is what you see here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=12&gs_id=0&xhr=t&q=ribbed+tires&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS503US504&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&bpcl=40096503&biw=1122&bih=621&ion=1&wrapid=tljp135710389503000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1sLjUNX_EbOz0QGLnIGwDA

(At least the vast majority of them. "Ribs" are just straight. There's no pattern involved. Nothing that zig-zags.)

It's a little harder to find a good picture that illustrates the kind of pattern I always saw on 580s, just because most of the pictures are of the entire machine, and taken from an angle that doesn't really show the front tire pattern. Certainly, there are some Bs that clearly do have ribbed tires as well, but I never saw one in person that did. On the older ones, I'm sure they were more common, because the machines themselve hadn't evolved as far from their "tractor" roots.

Here's one 580B I found though, that shows pretty much the pattern that I had on both the 580Cs I owned:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=case+580b&um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS503US504&biw=1122&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=52QwkAwkgblbaM:&imgrefurl=http://www.publiquip.com/zarc/Case-580B-Backhoe-Loader--1701992130.htm&docid=hGOOAWj53Su-sM&imgurl=http://www.publiquip.com/photo/-1701992130.jpg&w=720&h=540&ei=b8PjULi5GOqW0QG_mYCQAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=823&vpy=107&dur=3132&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=128&ty=125&sig=115538329963655671014&page=5&tbnh=160&tbnw=211&start=88&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:94,s:0,i:374

And another; a close up of a tire, but again not a real good depiction of the pattern:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=case+580b&start=778&um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS503US504&biw=1122&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=QWdRP4_EhVcbyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rockanddirt.com/dismantled-for-sale/CASE/580B/invnum%3D47479&docid=MysuvixeGe0pJM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.rockanddirt.com/thumbnail%253F1974-CASE-580B-%2526db%253Ddismachines%2526fname%253D41441/47479_d.jpg&w=1364&h=1026&ei=GMnjUNfJF8rA0AGnr4CIBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=823&vpy=96&dur=3227&hovh=195&hovw=259&tx=141&ty=126&sig=115538329963655671014&page=31&tbnh=142&tbnw=189&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:83,s:700,i:253

That's not what I'd call "ribbed", although perhaps our vocabularies might differ just a bit in that respect.

mitch504

The 580B was made from '71-'76.

The factory tire sizes for a 580 Super E 2wd are 7.50-16, 8.00-16, and 11L-16.

I have seen a lot of the older hoes w/ the 7.50-16s.

tireman

Just so we're on the same page, what I mean by "ribbed" is what you see here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=12&gs_id=0&xhr=t&q=ribbed+tires&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS503US504&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&bpcl=40096503&biw=1122&bih=621&ion=1&wrapid=tljp135710389503000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1sLjUNX_EbOz0QGLnIGwDA

(At least the vast majority of them. "Ribs" are just straight. There's no pattern involved. Nothing that zig-zags.)

It's a little harder to find a good picture that illustrates the kind of pattern I always saw on 580s, just because most of the pictures are of the entire machine, and taken from an angle that doesn't really show the front tire pattern. Certainly, there are some Bs that clearly do have ribbed tires as well, but I never saw one in person that did. On the older ones, I'm sure they were more common, because the machines themselve hadn't evolved as far from their "tractor" roots.

Here's one 580B I found though, that shows pretty much the pattern that I had on both the 580Cs I owned:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=case+580b&um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS503US504&biw=1122&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=52QwkAwkgblbaM:&imgrefurl=http://www.publiquip.com/zarc/Case-580B-Backhoe-Loader--1701992130.htm&docid=hGOOAWj53Su-sM&imgurl=http://www.publiquip.com/photo/-1701992130.jpg&w=720&h=540&ei=b8PjULi5GOqW0QG_mYCQAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=823&vpy=107&dur=3132&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=128&ty=125&sig=115538329963655671014&page=5&tbnh=160&tbnw=211&start=88&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:94,s:0,i:374

And another; a close up of a tire, but again not a real good depiction of the pattern:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=case+580b&start=778&um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS503US504&biw=1122&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=QWdRP4_EhVcbyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rockanddirt.com/dismantled-for-sale/CASE/580B/invnum%3D47479&docid=MysuvixeGe0pJM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.rockanddirt.com/thumbnail%253F1974-CASE-580B-%2526db%253Ddismachines%2526fname%253D41441/47479_d.jpg&w=1364&h=1026&ei=GMnjUNfJF8rA0AGnr4CIBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=823&vpy=96&dur=3227&hovh=195&hovw=259&tx=141&ty=126&sig=115538329963655671014&page=31&tbnh=142&tbnw=189&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:83,s:700,i:253

That's not what I'd call "ribbed", although perhaps our vocabularies might differ just a bit in that respect.

I stand corrected, more or less. The tires pictured are exactly what I was referring to, I just generalized them as ribbed. Thanks for clarifying that, digger.

Patti

Hi Guys,
Okay.
1) Yup- the "ribbed" tires on my friend's 580B are like the ones in the link of tire pictures that digger sent- "straight lines with no zig-zags in them".
2) I found out for sure that it is a 1975, 2WD.
I AM getting this sorted out in my head, but here are a few MORE questions to clarify.....

1) So, are the 11L-16 tires the size I need for this model Backhoe, correct?
2) Will I be able to get a "tread" tire rather than a "straight-ribbed" tire?
3) I should be looking for tires that are 10 ply or higher, correct?
4) In his post, Tireman mentions: A) Bias Implement Tires, B) Bias Ply Tires of any type and C) Radial Tires. What kind should I be looking for SPECIFICALLY, keeping in mind that he does drive it on the road, in addition to the different kinds of work he does with it (mentioned in an earlier email). What exactly is the difference between each of them, and does one kind usually last longer than the other?
5) I will keep my eyes opened for used ones, but probably won't find any, so I am going to buy new ones. I know I am asking this again, but does anyone have any SPECIFIC tire/equipment dealers/manufacturers that they know of in Mid-Western/Southern Ontario? Once I find out the answer to questions 1-4, that may help me with where to look.....but since this is such a huge farming area, I will maybe start with Farm Equipment Places first????

In MY mind, I am looking for the following: 11L-16 tires, with big treads (similar in design to the treads on the back tires), 10ply, and (I'm guessing)- option B- Bias Ply Tires.
COMMENTS/ SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE......PLEASE!!!!! Thanks again so much. This is a LOT of help to me!! Patti :)

outbackrider

Hi Guys,
Okay.
1) Yup- the "ribbed" tires on my friend's 580B are like the ones in the link of tire pictures that digger sent- "straight lines with no zig-zags in them".
2) I found out for sure that it is a 1975, 2WD.
I AM getting this sorted out in my head, but here are a few MORE questions to clarify.....

1) So, are the 11L-16 tires the size I need for this model Backhoe, correct?
2) Will I be able to get a "tread" tire rather than a "straight-ribbed" tire?
3) I should be looking for tires that are 10 ply or higher, correct?
4) In his post, Tireman mentions: A) Bias Implement Tires, B) Bias Ply Tires of any type and C) Radial Tires. What kind should I be looking for SPECIFICALLY, keeping in mind that he does drive it on the road, in addition to the different kinds of work he does with it (mentioned in an earlier email). What exactly is the difference between each of them, and does one kind usually last longer than the other?
5) I will keep my eyes opened for used ones, but probably won't find any, so I am going to buy new ones. I know I am asking this again, but does anyone have any SPECIFIC tire/equipment dealers/manufacturers that they know of in Mid-Western/Southern Ontario? Once I find out the answer to questions 1-4, that may help me with where to look.....but since this is such a huge farming area, I will maybe start with Farm Equipment Places first????

In MY mind, I am looking for the following: 11L-16 tires, with big treads (similar in design to the treads on the back tires), 10ply, and (I'm guessing)- option B- Bias Ply Tires.
COMMENTS/ SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE......PLEASE!!!!! Thanks again so much. This is a LOT of help to me!! Patti :)

I would suggest maybe giving these people a call...they can probably help you out....not sure if
your near any of their stores or not, they may be too far western Canda....

http://commercial.fountaintire.com/node/7595

Hope you are successful...

Last edited: