• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some help with roller

Canadian_digger

image.jpg
I bought a vibratory roller at a rb auction. I have no idea the brand of it. It has 3 hydraulic hoses and I don't know what they are all for? Anyone know what ones do what? I will be mounting it on my cat 279c xps high flow.

fergy

the smaller one is case drain I think
should run back to tank with bugger all restriction
other two should hook up as normal
not sure if these can run both directions
or maybe you can change direction as per travel

lantraxco

My knowledge of hydraulic motors suggests that the two larger lines will be pressure and return, and it's most likely reversible. The smaller line coming off the back of the motor will almost certainly be a case drain which will need to return to tank somehow to allow the internal leakage to bleed off.

Is there a valve block the two main lines go to?

More pictures would help.

fergy

Hey Canadian
how many couplings you have on your posi?

mx727

What information is on that data plate in the photo?

The case drain should connect to the smaller connector, most likely a 3/8" body, on your machine. Did the roller not come with connectors?

Canadian_digger

My knowledge of hydraulic motors suggests that the two larger lines will be pressure and return, and it's most likely reversible. The smaller line coming off the back of the motor will almost certainly be a case drain which will need to return to tank somehow to allow the internal leakage to bleed off.

Is there a valve block the two main lines go to?

More pictures would help.
No valve block

Canadian_digger

I didn't find any useful information anywhere on the roller. Just a list of same machines it fits.

The hydro line have no couplers on them they are just caped off with some plugs

mx727

See if the motor has in and out marked next to two of those lines. Safe bet is that the one coming out the back of the motor is case drain though.

fergy

Hook it up to your normal couplers
Make sure small line is hooked to case drain and check that that is actually case drain but it should be the small one
What could go wrong :beatsme

Canadian_digger

Well I finally got it hooked up and I have a problem. Hooked the left and right lines to the pressure and return on standard flow on the Machine and the smaller center one to the case drain. I ran it for a couple of min in forward and reverse flow until I seen smoke coming from the drum on the motor side! Motor felt fairly warm for the short run time.

Any one have any ideas what's going on?

cdm123

Bought at auction you say?:beatsme But I agree with the others small line should be a case drain, when you aply pressure does anything turn or vibrate or just smoke?

bobcan

^ If it was made 'years ago and never run' there may be a chance of Bearing Failure near motor, if it feels warm _ only 'simple solution' I can see

** Accordingly, check the Oil Temp (if a gauge on unit/ or hands on hoses) to see that it is NOT seemingly heating up too much.. I doubt it really should get too hot running free as such _ Good Luck

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The centre hose should be case drain, the other 2 should be feed and return. Maybe it should be run on the hi flow circuit not low flow. Is there a model number on the hyd motor which will indicate it's size? If the CTL was being used prior to the roller being coupled the hyd oil will be already hot and won't take long to heat the motor. The smoke is more likely bearing failure on the vibrator shaft.

Tags

I would say bearing failure, I've had some experience with these rollers and it is my opinion that it is a great concept but the execution in design by the manufacturers is not great to say the least. If the seal leaks around the shaft and dumps the oil into the center of the drum you'll never know it and will toast the bearings. Hopefully it isn't that for your sake...

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have never seen one of these attachments that are high flow, be sure to run on low flow unless you know it to be highflow (very unlikely). I always thought one of these attachments would be handy but they certainly seem problematic. I think the MBW brand actually has these figured out, but 12K is a lot of money for one.

Oxbow

I have a Cat brand that was purchased new with the machine in 2008. It has worked flawlessly with no maintenance besides greasing the pivot joint. It only has two lines though-no case drain. The compaction is quite impressive. We only use it on float and do not apply pressure from the machine. I am afraid it would be hard on the linkage if one was to apply extra pressure. The roller is heavy enough to compact well using it on float.

Last edited:

bobcan

^ If it was made 'years ago and never run' there may be a chance of Bearing Failure near motor, if it feels warm _ only 'simple solution' I can see

** Accordingly, check the Oil Temp (if a gauge on unit/ or hands on hoses) to see that it is NOT seemingly heating up too much.. I doubt it really should get too hot running free as such _ Good Luck

Also, if it WAS Bearing that failed (and making heat near motor) I would think you would KNOW immediately if you could not turn the centrifugal weight assembly fairly easily by hand (may require disconnecting hyd motor though) and/or you should hear some unpleasant noises I would think too ** I recall some of those might be 'oil bath bearings' as well, so might see evidence of seal failure if so _ Good Luck again!!