• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some dozer advice-Old International 20B cable machine

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think I already know the answer but I'll throw it out here anyway. I have my old Pete 359 for sale. A guy offered a dozer for partial trade. Older international. I assume TD20B. He didn't say TD just 20B. It's a cable machine. Call me crazy but I'd like to have a cable machine. I like the old stuff. Anything I do is for therapy lol. It'll go good with my 63 Autocar. Says the finals have new bearings and seals, 400 hours on motor. He did a fair amount of work on his farm with it which leaves me to believe it has not been sitting a long time. I assume parts are a challenge for them. I'd be surprised if I ran it 100 hours a year. I piddle with my old stuff here and there to keep things loosened up. What's it worth? Waiting on pics and more info. Just curious what the brain trust could tell me about them. Would a later model machine be live power to the winch and possible a power shift? I'll get more details for the inevitable questions. Thanks all!

Junkyard

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I've been around TD-9s, TD-18s, TD-24s, but at I'm at a loss on a TD-20. I don't know if I ever seen one. I would expect that it would start on gas, switch to Diesel, and then back to gas to cool down for shut down. Good engines if the proper procedures were followed. Most are in the scrap heap when the procedures were not followed.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
It's a project very appealing to me. It's old. Every piece in it has suffered from age, and likely neglect. It will need extensive restoration before it can give an operator pleasure. If you can't derive pleasure from the restoration, stay away from the project entirely.

Consider not the value of the raw material. Consider the cost of purchase, the cost of restoration, and the value of the finished tractor.

Willie

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I will try to answer a couple of your questions junkyard. I had a TD20B for a few years then sold it to a neighbor who uses it very little. It is a cable machine with a powershift transmission. The winch was/is live power. As you know parts for almost all of this older stuff are getting harder to come by all the time. But I don't recall having much trouble finding parts when I owned it (which was about 4-5 years ago).

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm assuming, dangerous I know, that it's in good operable condition or the current owner wouldn't have spent the money on an overhaul and finals. I like the older stuff, I get that from my grandpa I suppose. If he had his way we'd still be using ** Case steam engines and thrashing wheat. I'd rather knock around in my A-car or B81 Mack than anything new. I like keeping the old ways alive, I was born a couple generations too late I guess! Once I get more info I'll update the post. Thanks for the input!

Junkyard

Dickjr.

I used to restore old Oliver tractors. Parts were more readily available than you would think for those. I learned that it was as cheap to buy a restored machine than buy one and go thru the process. Initial purchase , parts , paint , labor and beer. One thing on your side , you can wrench and you have history on it. If you like it , I'd go for it. Its not like your going to run it 12 hours a day from now on. Put up some pics.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
I used to restore old Oliver tractors. Parts were more readily available than you would think for those. I learned that it was as cheap to buy a restored machine than buy one and go thru the process. Initial purchase , parts , paint , labor and beer. One thing on your side , you can wrench and you have history on it. If you like it , I'd go for it. Its not like your going to run it 12 hours a day from now on. Put up some pics.

If its a 20B it will be direct elc start, they had the DT 429 engine and 2 speed power shift , 150 HP. Spent some time on one back in the late 60s/ early 70s. After a D8 8R and an HD 14 going to a 20B with hyd blade and hyd tilt was just the bees knees.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
HP was 165 in front of a 2 speed powershift with a hi/lo mechanical shift, disc brakes with unified clutch and brake levers. Screaming DT 429 (2400rpm i think). Parts are made of the fabled material unobtainium. I found a used set of lined brake discs and had a friend laser cut the separator plates. Have to pull finals to replace brakes. Uses a planetary sun disc on each side which when released, allows for turns. If the brakes are worn, it's next to impossible to adjust levers to have clutch and a working brake too. I built a set of pedals to activate the brake valves separately from the levers. The older SN had bars which the idlers rode on whereas the later had a trackhoe style mount. The swingframe is similar to modern high drive Cats but instead of a pinned crossmember, they used vertical sliding guide plates (see how long that will last in abrasive material). I'd give you a good price on my hydraulic 20B if I wouldn't have to ever deal with it again... She still runs fine and I was planning on digging another pond before I found a good D6C and parked her.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Working on pics and other info as we speak. Hoping to have some more info tomorrow if I can find the time!

Junkyard

Mud Logger

Hi Junkyard, We have a TD20E, mid 80's, got the big V-8 engine, plus a 3 speed powershift with 2 speed steering. I never was around a 20B, but I know where a couple are here in WIS. There is also a wrecking yard, here that specialized in International, and Hough. Not sure if they have much left from the old dogs, around these days.