• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

need opinion of this 580L

n175h

I have a chance to bid on a 2000 model 580L in San Antonio. That is worth a $1500 hauling savings to me right of the bat. I went and looked at it this morning. The yard manager said the fuel pump was out and wouldn't start. The hoe has 2100 hours, numerous leaks on the cylinders. There was a puddle of oil on the ground under the main boom tower. All four tires were worn to almost nothing. The seat is pretty shot. The rear bucket had 2 missing teeth tips. I proxy bid 10k and was out bid. The left outrigger has fallen toward the ground. I was going to bid up to
$17k, but considering new tires, fuel pump, and lots of leaky seals, I need to rethink. It's going to cost several thousand to get this in shape.

I went through all the Iron Planet auction results for 12 months and ballpark bid for a 2000 hoe like this was about $19k. However, they all looked much better and had the IronClad inspection/guarantee reports.

First question: how much is a fuel pump?
Second: It has to be removed by Tuesday if I win. How can I get that rascal out if it won't start?

What would you bid for a hoe like this?

Here is the link.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=136&aid=24985&lid=7199409#topoflot

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

Daniel Boone

Occupation
Equipemnt Operator
It looks a little rough, that's for sure! It's not a turbo, or a Super L. It has the standard seat, not a suspension set as well. The leaks in the rams and hoses are no bid deal. I have seen complete cylinder packing sets on Ebay for around $300.00. How are the pins and bushings?? You can get into big $$$$ when replacing them. Hoses are not that bad if that's what is leaking too. It has low hours, but it does look like they have been hard hours. I have never had to replace a fuel pump on a L model, I may be wrong, but I think the fuel pump is built into the injector pump, unless you are referring to the fuel primer pump??. I do not think that I would go over $15,000 on that machine if it was me. There are so many great buys out there right now to take a chance on a machine that has so many unknowns related to it. Just my 2 cents though!

diggerdave1958

Just to let u know i put 4 new tires on my Case 580 SE last year and that was around $1500.00 tires size are 17.5 - 24 and fronts are 14 x 17.5 NHS and i checked some of my auction result books and the 580L go anywhere from around 10k to 19K but the NOT running and the fuel pump may not to the ONLY problem with it so keep that in mind when bidding. good luck

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
I don't know about the L, but on the Super L the lift pump can go bad, causing it not to start. It is mounted on the side of the engine block, and has a primer lever on it. For a while on mine, you could prime it with the lever (you'd usually have to bump the motor over with the starter until you'd get to a place where the lever would pump it) and get it going that way. Eventually though, it would get where it would die like it was just running out of fuel. If it is that pump, it's easy to change. In the 14 yrs I had my Super L, I think I changed it 5 times. Got to where I could change it in about 10 minutes. Napa stores in my area carry the pump, at much less than the dealer price. I think the injection pump lasted until about 4,000 hours.

n175h

The guy at the auction yard was supposed to call me back if they got it started. He never called today. It was one of the hoe operator/employees of the bankrupt company that told him the pump was bad. Maybe I need to try to get his phone number. I might get some good notes.

cgraham1

The hoe has 2100 hours
:thumbsup
The fuel pump was out.
Lift pump should be less than $100, Injector Pump - Rebuilt Injection Pump, J I Case 590SL Loader Backhoe 4T-390, JI Case # JR917526, J917526 + $500.00 core 0460424068 $895.00 http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?pid=34
numerous leaks on the cylinders.
"complete cylinder packing sets on Ebay for around $300.00"
There was a puddle of oil on the ground under the main boom tower.
Item # 1542919C4 Boom Cylinder Seal Kit Includes - piston rod wiper, center bushing, O-rings, backup ring, piston seal, wear ring, rod seal & buffer seal. Price: $70.00 + Installation
All four tires were worn to almost nothing.
"around $1500.00"
The seat is pretty shot.
Item # B94115 Replacement Seat - Black Price: $105.33
The rear bucket had 2 missing teeth tips.
Item # 251474
Case Tiger Tooth Price: $8.90 x 2= about $18

Looks to me like at least $2100 in parts + Labor if you have someone else do the work! + I'd change all the filters and fluids, & since this thing has obviously been beat to hell other stuff will probably pop up that you have'nt even thought of! I think I'd look for one you can actually test drive!:beatsme

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
If the machine has been beat on that much, I'd sure be suspicious of the pins and bushings on the backhoe. Also the swing tower pins and bushings. I don't know about the L, but I know our M is a lot lighter (and looks cheaper) built on the the backhoe than the Super M. I never had a regular L though, Just a super L.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
A straight L is a quick little machine down the road. A non turbo L will move quicker than my M turbo. Myself personally, I wouldnt waste my money on a regular L or M let alone that machine in particular. Series 2 Super L is still my favorite.