• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need New Tracks - CAT 299D

John Strange

Cat wants $6800 just for tracks, anyone ordered from the other vendors and are they really that much better, I'm going to assume no.

Tags

Steel tracks? Seems very pricey for rubber ones. Call around for sure. Depending on what you do with the machine, you may not get the same service life out of non-OEM tracks though. I’ve bought several sets of tracks from a place called MWE/Midwest equipment. There are tons of rubber track providers around, but you kind of want to know what you’re paying for.

Legdoc

I'm waiting for a quote to come back from a local branch tire distributor (Southern Tire Mart) for my Kubota SVL-90. The OEM tracks have Kubota and Bridgestone markings on them. My tire guy is going to quote "cheapo's" and high quality. I will post the results just for grins. The tracks have plenty of tread left. There are full width cracks on the lugs and back side that started 7 years ago at 500 hours. It currently has 1005 hours of easy work. I am expecting the cleats to start falling off as the cables rust through. I doubt they used stainless cable.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Just looked up a set for one our 279D's and the list price is $2800 each. In the past our dealer has run specials on tracks at year end that we took advantage of. IIRC it was $1800 per track.

We've had the best luck with Cat OEM Bridgestone tracks and I'll pay the premium for the longevity.

ozarkag

Do not have to go thru Cat for genuine Bridgestone. Try and find tire or track dealer that handles them. Is likely worth the premium over aftermarket. Methinks should be in the $2400 to $2600 range.

John Strange

Things are rough in Austin, trying to find someone to do the install was basically a no go so I'm doing it now. I ended up going with midwest as they could have them here in two days. $3000 for a set of multi bar tracks which for my ranch should be fine. It'll tear up the ground a lot less as well.

Will be first time replacing tracks, wish me luck lol.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Do not have to go thru Cat for genuine Bridgestone. Try and find tire or track dealer that handles them. Is likely worth the premium over aftermarket. Methinks should be in the $2400 to $2600 range.

Nope don't have to go through the dealer.

Our Cat dealer is offering 15% off HD tracks, 30% off general duty and $300 flat rate to swap out in their shop.

15% off brings the HD's for our 279 down to $2350 per track before tax. For $300 I'd probably let them swap them out. :D

$5000 purchase qualifies for 0% for 12 months on a Cat card. I'd probably take that deal and use their money. Bought a little hammer at 0% for 24 when Cat was running that deal.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Wonder what kind of fees the dealer tacks on for disposal of the old tracks? I am amazed at the various "environmental" charges my Cat dealer can add to the bottom of an invoice.... A basic car tire around here is $2 actual disposal fee plus $2.50 disposal tax.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Wonder what kind of fees the dealer tacks on for disposal of the old tracks? I am amazed at the various "environmental" charges my Cat dealer can add to the bottom of an invoice.... A basic car tire around here is $2 actual disposal fee plus $2.50 disposal tax.

I'd take them with me. Not that hard to get rid off in the grading business.